Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Premium Ride Hand Adjustable Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017 | 08:57 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by wis1
I ride primarily two up /tour pac , if I go with the 13" does the seat height necessarily go up one inch with the HD shocks ?

The general consensus seems that the HD shocks are a reasonable upgrade over the air shocks without spending a fortune ? Ebay looks to be in the $200/250 range .
Yes it does, I'm 5'8" and could barely tip toe with the 13" shocks. With the 12" I'm good.

Also I have the 18" rear agitator wheel so that puts the rear much higher than the stock 16", but it was a noticeable difference between the two shocks if your close.

Old 01-06-2017 | 09:44 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

I ride primarily two up /tour pac , if I go with the 13" does the seat height necessarily go up one inch with the HD shocks ?...
No, and for a very valid reason. The rear shocks are not vertical. So, extending them by an inch does NOT make the bike a full inch taller at the seat. It will definitely get taller, and you'll be able to tell the difference, no doubt about it, but not the full inch.

Old 01-06-2017 | 09:45 AM
wis1
Cruiser

I'm like 5' 9/10 ish , but would like the extra inch of travel . Curious on HD's logic of just adjusting one shock and not both ?

Old 01-06-2017 | 10:03 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

I'm like 5' 9/10 ish , but would like the extra inch of travel . Curious on HD's logic of just adjusting one shock and not both ?
Saves money. They only have to build in the adjustment parts on one, not both. Theoretically, if the adjustable one has "double" the preload strength needed, then you only need to adjust one.

Old 01-06-2017 | 10:10 AM
Flhrse5 Heiko
Novice

I ride primarily two up /tour pac , if I go with the 13" does the seat height necessarily go up one inch with the HD shocks ?

The general consensus seems that the HD shocks are a reasonable upgrade over the air shocks without spending a fortune ? Ebay looks to be in the $200/250 range .
There is asimple reason why people are selling their adjustable shocks...they are ok but not good. Personally my impression is they are too stiff, you can not adjust the sensibility but only the hight. For a little more mony you can improve riding comfort and street contact.

To adjust the hight you just correct the different weight 1 or 2 people, with or without big luggage.

Riding stability comes from the right spring in combination how hard or soft or smooth the damper works.

Again this is just another example to proof you can not have a factory harley call good unless you spend another 1000 USD.

Take a ride on a BMW premium model to compare.. thats a different world of riding.

Nevertheless, I love my RK and wont ride anything else.

Greetz
Heiko

Old 01-06-2017 | 04:05 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Supporter

I put the hand adjustables on my Ultra replacing the air. I like em better, seems there is a better control of the bike. I'm 180 and run them at the first click seems good, even with adding my 110lb GF. I'll bump it up a couple 3 when I add tour pack and fill em up for the road.

Old 01-08-2017 | 10:32 AM
Kburgad
Tourer

Are the hand adjustable shocks the same that come on the cvo's?

Old 01-08-2017 | 10:34 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

ebay is loaded with the shorter version

Old 02-28-2017 | 08:25 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior

Do Harley tech's every ride a bike after designing the hand adjustable shocks?
If I set mine up according to their book I should be @ a minimum of 6 "full" turns or 12 clicks. If I do this the *** end barely moves and rides like there is no shock. I find 1 click is about as good as it going to get. Tried several different settings but 1 is good.
Think about it, if you haul something that is heavy you need more spring added to obtain ride height and or keep from bottoming out? Well that same theory goes for crank'in up the clicker. For the best ride you want maximum travel without bottoming out or only in a severe condition. You still have to maintain a workable ride height so I guess these shocks are "really" set for people that weight 3-400#. I pity the guy that weighs less than 200. 1 click works for me and have yet to bottom out but there is a dip or hole out there waiting for me now I said this.

Old 02-28-2017 | 09:04 AM
skydude426
Club Member

I found that 8 clicks (4 turns) is about right for me solo on my Ultra. I've lost weight this winter so I might have to turn it down more. But you're right, if you go by the chart, they are too stiff.

Quick Reply: HD Premium Ride Hand Adjustable Shocks