Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch lever question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Rob2002
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch lever question

I replaced both levers but the clutch is not an exact replacement.
The stock lever had a bushing around the circular part that holds the cable end.
The new lever is not drilled big enough to allow using the bushing so there is some slop in the fit.
I figure that it is pulling on the same spot anyhow but wanted to know if anyone has seen this or had any problems.
Don't want to break that cable on a trip somewhere.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Clutch lever question

Rob, I'm confused as to what you are describing. There is a pin that passes through the lever body to actually mount it to the switch housing/control body. That pin should have a snap-ring on the bottom and a flange at the top.

There is also a bushing that should slide through the lever and the clutch cable end. If that bushing does not slide through the lever itself, you may need to bore out the hole a little (should just be aluminum and it is not visible once installed anyway) or get the appropriate bushing for the lever. If the bushing does not properly fit in the cable end, you are going to play hell getting your clutch properly adjusted because you are inducing slack into the cable.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:29 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

I believe he is talking about the bushing sleeve that the clevis pin slides through, not the bushing that attaches the cable to the lever. The bushing is there to protect the metal to metal friction between pin and lever when pulling the lever. If possible I would bore the hole out enough to put the bushing in, or look for a smaller bushing if an aftermarket is available because you may end up with some broken clevis pins down the line due to friction, just my $.02

Old 05-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with DAWG (I always do - LOL) - that bushing helps keep the clutch cable in line with the cable sheath. If that angle is altered due to sloppiness or lack of lube, a broken clutch cable is in your future.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 PM
cglofland
Cruiser

Here is one for the books. Recently bought a 07 FLTR and upgraded the control levers to the buckshot series. Seems the 07's TSM look to see if either the bike is in neutral or the clutch pulled in. I can only start with the bike in neutral. Dealer tells me the levers, unless they came on the bike will not engage the switch in the clutch housing to send the signal. Anyone else of this?? Finding neutral on a hill sometimes is a pain in the you know what. My wife has a 07 fatboy, at first we put her new levers on from the trade-in. Only start in neutral, so she opted to give those levers away for the stock ones. Sounds like HD HQ needs a phone call from me, will happen tomorrow.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:18 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cglofland

Here is one for the books. Recently bought a 07 FLTR and upgraded the control levers to the buckshot series. Seems the 07's TSM look to see if either the bike is in neutral or the clutch pulled in. I can only start with the bike in neutral. Dealer tells me the levers, unless they came on the bike will not engage the switch in the clutch housing to send the signal. Anyone else of this?? Finding neutral on a hill sometimes is a pain in the you know what. My wife has a 07 fatboy, at first we put her new levers on from the trade-in. Only start in neutral, so she opted to give those levers away for the stock ones. Sounds like HD HQ needs a phone call from me, will happen tomorrow.

'07s added a switch which forces you to have the clutch in to start the bike in gear. the '07 levers have a little tang built on the clutch lever that engages the switch. '06s and earlier didn't have it, and causes the problem you are having. i ordered a set of Kury trigger levers, and they sent me an '06 set. Had to return them and get their newer '07s which work great now.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 PM
cglofland
Cruiser

What upsets me is that they sold me the levers, right from the 08 catalog, and the write up says up to 07, not a word about the switch contact. I can by pass the switch in the harness, but then I will get a diag. code because the clutch is showing pulled in and the bike will travel 10 miles and 10 minutes. catch 22. they still need a heads up, have found several parts that won't fit or work on the 07 models. Like my buckshot grips.