Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007 | 11:52 AM
ezlife
|
Road Master
Default 2007 Oil Cooler

Question...

I'm starting to see high oil temps. Was common to be around 230 degrees since picked up bike 4/20/07, now @ 2K miles this past weekend following about a 150m ride, 2-up, some stop and go,lot of 75mph hwy,temp was at highest I've ever seen, 261. I already have PCIII, pipes, a/c, and running Amsoil 20w-50.

I definitely want to get tuned by a pro todial in a/f,currently using map from Fuelmoto, bike runs great, changed plugs when installed and pulled after a nice ride and they looked rust/tan so I'm thinkin things are close. Bike is still HOT!!

Look'in at premium oil cooler HD# 26155-07 or Super premium oil coller HD# 62895-03A. Are both bolt up on an '07 Road King Classic? Super premium says fits '99-'06.If both are same install, even on 96", which one works better?

Don't like these high temps, help!

Thanks men

Ez

Old 05-29-2007 | 12:16 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Default RE: 2007 Oil Cooler

I've got the Premium oil cooler for my 07 Ultra. It helps, but I haven't installed the PCIII yet, so this isn't a fair comparison.

Just came back from a 1500 mile ride over the long weekend and going thru Needles, CA my bike got up to 163 deg. I was fully loaded running 2up and doing about 80 the whole way. Outside temps were in the low 90's (it was still early in the day...)

These were the highest temps i saw on the bike. Most were in the 230-240's, while in the warmer climates. Otherwise, the temps were acceptable. I'm sure the cooler is helping and working properly.

Old 05-29-2007 | 01:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ezlife

Question...

I'm starting to see high oil temps. Was common to be around 230 degrees since picked up bike 4/20/07, now @ 2K miles this past weekend following about a 150m ride, 2-up, some stop and go,lot of 75mph hwy,temp was at highest I've ever seen, 261. I already have PCIII, pipes, a/c, and running Amsoil 20w-50.

I definitely want to get tuned by a pro todial in a/f,currently using map from Fuelmoto, bike runs great, changed plugs when installed and pulled after a nice ride and they looked rust/tan so I'm thinkin things are close. Bike is still HOT!!

Look'in at premium oil cooler HD# 26155-07 or Super premium oil coller HD# 62895-03A. Are both bolt up on an '07 Road King Classic? Super premium says fits '99-'06.If both are same install, even on 96", which one works better?

Don't like these high temps, help!
That's far too hot, IMO. I have a similar setup, although I never ride two-up, and my temps have never exceeded 220° even in traffic (yet). Normally they linger between 180-200° while I'm moving. My Fuel Moto map was tweaked for mileage in the cruise range, and is much leaner than Fuel Moto's excellent canned map. This should make me run hotter than you on the road, if anything. Even without a cooler I would think you'd be running cooler than this. I am running an engine oil mix that has shown in long-term tests by me to allow the engine to run exceptionally cool. I won't go there with the details here, as it isn't a practical solution for most people. Amsoil should be fine once you sort everything else out.

I do have the Premium Oil Cooler, however, and that makes a big difference. I recommend them, or a Jagg with thermostat, on any TC engine. I don't think HD makes the Super Premium Cooler any longer, and when I was shopping around I couldn't determine that it was any different from the Premium Cooler except oddly enough it didn't have a chrome cover and cost much more. Never did figure out what was going on with that item, or why anyone would buy it over the cheaper alternative.

Definitely buy the Premium Oil Cooler, but be aware of one issue in installing it. You'll need a 7/16" or 11mm Allen socket, or you can makeshift a bolt with 7/16" head and jam two 7/16" nuts together on the other end. Use that on your torque wrench to install the filter-adapter fastener. Just be forewarned, but other than this it is a fairly simple and quick install.

Old 05-29-2007 | 02:03 PM
ezlife
|
Road Master

Thanks guys.

I just ordered the premium cooler from Zanotti. Hopefully its in stock and I'll install it when it gets here in a few days. Bike's usually around the 220-230 mark, these last few runs, those temps were unacceptable to me.

If this put me back down around 200-220, I'd be happy.

Thanks
Ez

Old 05-29-2007 | 02:12 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master

230-240 oil temp is fine... that is normal operating. Engine temp is about 30degrees hotter than that. I'd be worried if the oil temp is > 250-260 though.

One also has to realize... when checkin the temp via those lil LCD temp gauges built into the dipstick that you check those only once you are stopped. One would need to remember that by the time you are doin 75 and then throttle down to exit... and spend a lil time in first gear or 2nd and are winding down to stop you will get a lil more increased heat as you are going slow. Probably not 30degrees worth but prolly at least 10 (depending on how long you are at slower speeds before stopping).

If you are running an Oil Temp Gauge with a sending unit then that is a different story.

Does sound like there is some 'lean' in there somewhere in the curve bringing the heat up.

Old 05-29-2007 | 02:16 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

I feel engine revive quicker once I get out of traffic. The rest it does may just be peice of mind or long term increasing life of engine? Unless I add fuel..ect?. I may just have to except its an air cooled engine and must avoid constant stop and go traffic especiallyover 80 degrees..ect.A10 degreechange in outside temp can make all the difference.