Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple electric horn

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 05:56 PM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Multiple electric horn

Not to start a controversy about which horns are louder or better but I plan on installing the Fiamm highway blaster horns (low tone and high tone). My question is do I need a relay or can I just splice the wires together and run them to the stock horn wiring?

I did a search and found different opinions, so not sure. My guess is I don't need a relay because the horns are electric and don't draw many amps as oppose to an air horn. I hope to run the stock horn and the two Fiamm horns. Not sure if I'll attach the Fiamms to the front mounting bolt of the gas tank or somewhere off the front frame.

Thanks

Last edited by flhrbill; 12-19-2016 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-18-2016, 06:05 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I would suggest a relay- it is easy, removes high current loads from the stock wiring ( whether "old" analog wiring or 14+ canbus) and provides full power to the horns.

I do use an airhorn ( H-D, got it cheap from a member, used. tried a howards air horn...it failed in weeks. on my FXR I use a 6 volt horn...plenty loud and it's been on for about 10 years...it's not like I lay on it- cost about $15 on ebay

Mike

Old 12-18-2016, 06:31 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

No relay here, I just tapped onto the cowbell horn and ran it to the two new horns. Plenty loud. Mounted facing front off the front fuel tank tab mounts, tilted slightly down for water to run out of them. High note, low note, stock horn together sound like an old Cadillac Fleetwood. Great safety addition.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:38 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
High note, low note, stock horn together sound like an old Cadillac Fleetwood.
a Cadillac will play a low C and a high F making a "C for Cadillac" chord

a Fleetwood adds a 3rd horn, a lower F to make a F Major chord...

i got plenty of both kinds horns and cadillacs...fleetwoods

since I work in music i use strobe tuners to set up horns for collectors...I can make a sour horn sweet

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-18-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:46 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

since I work in music i use strobe tuners to set up horns for collectors...I can make a sour horn sweet

mike
I hear ya!
What I like is the look on their faces when others pull up to a stop and don't look at me - so I blare 'em at em, and they snap that head around and give me the wide eyed look.
It is an attention getter!

Old 12-19-2016, 07:24 AM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I hear ya!
What I like is the look on their faces when others pull up to a stop and don't look at me - so I blare 'em at em, and they snap that head around and give me the wide eyed look.
It is an attention getter!
Now that is the type of horns I want. lol

Old 12-19-2016, 07:54 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

mike
I have a 36 LaSalle, I run the two stock trumpet Horns, I was amazed that they still work. I power the 6volt horns on 12 and you can hear them all the way into next week, I once made the Train engineer look and have no doubt I can get them to lift the bridge too. Just sayin.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:49 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

i have the low/high fiamm horns on my bike. No stock horn. I did not use a relay. I like they are loud when used, but i do not use them enough to justify the cost of the relay. if the horn switch burns out or gets damaged, i might change my set up. So far, they have worked for 3 years with no problems. I have them mounted off the gas tank tabs so the water will drain out.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had this arrangement for a coup of years; added a relay the first time I almost got pushed into a concrete barrier and blew the stock horn fuse.

Two older (than me) farts gabbing like a couple of bitches on I-4 in the right lane decided to change lanes without looking, signaling or giving a **** that I was right next to them in the left lane.

I laid on that hat horn for all it was worth, and it worked like a charm; both of them probably **** themselves at least a little!

Once I reached my destination I was so proud of my horns I decided to give them a toot for the hell of it; they were both dead!

when I got home I added a separate circuit off the battery through a relay that was controlled by the stock circuit. No more problems no matter how long I hold the horn button for.

Definitely one of the best mods that I've done at a cost of less than $25.00.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:38 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts

I would definitely add a relay. The horns will pull more current than the stock horn wiring can supply. I would use the stock horn wiring to trigger the relay. The relay can handle the added load much better than the stock horn wire.

Quick Reply: Multiple electric horn