Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O7 Six Speed Gear Lube

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:28 AM
GAstreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O7 Six Speed Gear Lube

I've got a 2007 Street Glide with about 3,000 miles. I installed the SE synthetic gear lube at 1,000 miles but can't say I really noticed any difference, the transmission is still too noisy,particularly in 5th gear. I've read several articles about different gear lubes, but have never seen any recommendations from someone who actually used a specific product with positive results. I've been looking at Amsoil, Redline, Bel-ray, etc. Anyone experienced any noticeable improvement with one of these or other similar products?

Old 05-29-2007, 08:43 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: O7 Six Speed Gear Lube

I switched to Amsoil 75-90 gear lube at 500 miles. Biggest difference was being able to find nuetral much easier. Shifted smoother as well.
Others report the same with Red Line and Mobile 1.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:55 AM
GAstreetglide
Advanced

I really can't complain about finding neutral or how the transmission shifts. I'm very happy with the Street Glide. I just wishthe transmission was a little quieter.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:17 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

The Mobil 1 did quiet my tranny a little, think that this oil or the Amsoil should do the same for your bike. Trans is getting quieter as the miles get put on, at least I think so, but could be me getting used to it.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redline Heavy Shockproof should help with shifting and quieting. More miles on the tranny will also help. My transmission started shifting much smoother after 5K miles.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:09 AM
stvmike
Cruiser

Taking mine in for the 1000 mile check up. The dealer told me they put Bel-Ray in the tranny and that it should make it more quite. We'll see!!
Mike

Old 05-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer put Amsoil Severe Gear in mine at 1000 mile service. Noise actually got louder & saw no appreciable change in shifting.
Others have reported the opposite, so your results may vary...

Old 05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine got quieter with amsoil severe gear. probably 20% reduction. miles will help it to quiet down even more. Also if you get rid of the stock mufflers and put sumfin a lil louder... you won't notice it at all.

My 5th gear really quieted down around 5k. If I 'try and hear it'... I can at 8k but it is barely audible (maybe my hearing is going .... I dunno).

Old 05-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Bob810
Intermediate

Iswitched from Syn3 toRed Line Heavy Duty Shockproof in the tranny of my 07FLHTCat 2Kmi.Noticeably quieter, especially in 5th gear.AfterI hit 5K miit is even quieter,but I think it has more to do with wearing in, etc and not as much todo withloss of hearing.
At theupcoming 5K service interval I'm going all the way with Red Line: 20W50 (SM/SL/SG/CF)in the case andMTL in the primary. Iexpect the engine temp will drop a bit, which will be well received by me and my wife.
I used Red Line in all cavities in my hopped-up 96 Dyna and was extremely pleased with the overall performance.
On a related note, when I tried to get a handle on the service classes (certification)ofHarley engineoil products I couldn't find any reference to it until I ran across a small recommendation in the Touring Models 2007 H-D Owner's Manual, page 139. It says in part that if you're unable to secure H-D oil then use an oil certified for diesel engines CF-4, CG-4, CI-4 until you can see an authorized H-D dealer to change back to 100% H-D oil. Red Line Diesel oil 15W40 iscompliant withthat recommendation.
Another way for the Motor Company to possibly deny warranty claims. Wherein lies the truth?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:06 AM
07street
Tourer

Just perform the 1000 mile service on my bike. Dealer recommended Bel-Ray 85 - 140. Now the tranny is quieter and shifts alotsmoother. Very impressed with the Bel-ray product

Quick Reply: O7 Six Speed Gear Lube