Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sirius merge with xm

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:08 AM
creep1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sirius merge with xm

Does anyone know whats gonna happen if you have a xm harley radio when they merge with sirius???

Old 05-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: sirius merge with xm

It still has to be approved. I was told that everything will still work. So if you have XM or Sirrus won't matter, same for the plan you paid for, all will be honored. It's just a merger so I was told by a major Electronics GEEK who is big into Sat Radio that I happen to work with. Hope he is right.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:16 AM
ocglide
Intermediate

I received a letter from XM saying that it would not affect my subscription and that I would benefit from a better mix of available channels. Once and if the merger gets approved.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:30 AM
Seawolf
Tourer

The one big drawback to a merger like this is there are no longer two companies fighting over customers. With the merger there is nothing stopping them from jacking up the price. Right now it is affordable, but if one company corners the market then that's not good for us.

I say get your subscription now and get locked in. Otherwise you may pay twice as much a year from now.

As far as hardware goes XM has always had the better hardware while sirius has the better programming. This brings both together, but at a cost.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Sirius and a few months ago when this first hit the media Tim Sabian who is one of the higher ups at Sirius came on the Howard Stern show to explaine what if any changes would happen with Sirius and/or XM. Basically he said that additional channels would become available as there are different kinds of programming on each service. So the best of what each has to offer would become available to both Sirius and XM subscribers. This would be especially true of sports programming as Sirius has exclusive rights to NASCAR and the NFL and XM has MLB and College Football. As far as a price increase he said that a rate increase would not be to their benifit. This is one of the arguements by terrestrial radio against the merger stating that a monopoly would be created allowing the single company to raise their rates at will without fear of competition. However his argument again is that even with a merger their total subscription numbers would only be in the 12-14 million range compared to terrestrial radio who's numbers are in the hundreds of million of listeners. The argument is also that satellite radio is competing not with each other, but rather with other media outlets. Namely terrestrial radio, ipods, CD's and now even mobile phones that are also MP3 players. To raise the rates would only cause them to either loose existing customers or make it harder to get new subscribers. As a merged company they could stop wasting money trying to win over potential subscribers to one or the other and focus on just getting people to buy into satellite radio as opposed to spending their money on other sources of entertainment.

I for one hope that the merger goes through. I love my Sirius and promote it to anyone who asks me about it. I even have it installed on my motorcycle. I think the merger will benifit both the Sirius and XM listener and ultimately lead to better service for everyone.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:21 PM
dbird
Cruiser

[quote]ORIGINAL: Seawolf

The one big drawback to a merger like this is there are no longer two companies fighting over customers. With the merger there is nothing stopping them from jacking up the price. Right now it is affordable, but if one company corners the market then that's not good for us.

I say get your subscription now and get locked in. Otherwise you may pay twice as much a year from now.

As far as hardware goes XM has always had the better hardware while sirius has the better programming. This brings both together, but at a cost.
[/
quote]

I have the lifetime Sirius deal may want to check on that, I paid $399 one time fee about 5 yrs. ago no monthly charges.