Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2005 Ultra Classics oil.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Skillet BPMC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2005 Ultra Classics oil.

This is what my oil looked like when I drained it from my 2005 Ultra Classic. It's a 1450 with 56,000 miles on it. I haven't gotten in the motor yet, but I am thinking main bearings. Any opinions?

Old 12-10-2016, 03:57 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Skillet BPMC

This is what my oil looked like when I drained it from my 2005 Ultra Classic. It's a 1450 with 56,000 miles on it. I haven't gotten in the motor yet, but I am thinking main bearings. Any opinions?
=====================

Maybe or maybe not,dont know till ya open it it up.

BTW,Your bike being an 04 could be debries/particles from rubbing blocks on cam chain tensioners wearing /breaking down / apart & getting into the motors oiling system which isnt good at all if thats the case.

So have the cam chain tensioners ever been checked & or replaced in 56k miles?

If not " NOWS THE TIME TO CHECK & REPLACE THEM IF REQUIRED!

BEING 13YRS OLD I'D REPLACE THEM EVEN IF THEY WERENT BROKEN OR WORN OUT BECAUSE 13YRS OF EXCESSIVE HEAT ,VIBRATION ETC HAS ALREADY WEAKENED THE MATERIAL THE RUBBING BLOCKS ARE MADE OF MAKING THEM MORE LIKELY TO FRACTURE/CRACK/BREAK APRT & GETTING INTO MOTORS OILING SYSTEM LEADING TO CATISTROPHIC ENGINE FAILURE.

How often (time & miles) do you change oil & filter?

The oil looks like it could have cooper & or cream colored stuff/particle in it which isnt a good sign if that's is the case.

But it could also be type sludge/milky buildup theatcan build up in the motor that looks kinda like that color when oil & filter arent changed often enough .

And thats esp an issue if the bike see enough short trips or riding in colder temps where motor & oil dont get up to high enough temp for long enough time to boil/burn out all the moisture built up in the motor/crankcase.

But with that said with 56k miles on the bike how does the motor run,for ex:

* WHAT'S OIL PRESSURE WITH MOTOR HOT @ IDLE & @ CRUISE RPM?

* IS VALVE TRAIN & MOTOR IN GENERAL QUIET WITH NO CLATTERING & OR KNOCKING?

* DOES THE MOTOR USE/BURN/LEAK MUCH OIL?

* IS PWR/TRQ LVL WHERE IT SHOULD BE FOR AGE & COND OF THE BIKE?

If all the above seem's good (INCLUDING CAM CHAIN TENSIONERS CHECKING OUT OK!) then i'd change the & filter and run it approx 2k miles and change it again with a new filter.

Then run that oil 3k miles & change it again with new filter hopefully seeing less contamination that color in the oil anymore.

If cam chain tensioners were ok & oil looks better on this oil change i'd chalk it up to dirty motor/crankcase with moisture in it which i hope is the case for you.

Good luck.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 12-10-2016 at 03:59 PM.