Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deka batteries...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:36 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts
Default Deka batteries...

Don't know if any body have seen this but Deka ETX-30LA batteries can be had at Lowe's for $105.00 and some change. Veterans don't forget your discount, it's supposed to be available at all Lowe's, company policy. If this has been mentioned before well, here's a reminder.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:30 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

checked the website for my local lowes. gotta order it, would be available on the 23rd.

would be nice if they kept it in stock. but having to order, I would order from battery mart, no tax, and delivered in 2 days.

but it's nice to have options.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:42 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

That $105 from local Lowes doesnt include local tax & or core fee for old battery if you dont have it to turn in at the time so total cost would be approx $115-120 either of which i didnt have to pay when i bought a battery online for my HD from an out of state vendor.

Deka's ETX30L/400cca's for touring HD's is avail online for less money from " High Tech Battery Solutions " for only $97.99 inc S&H to your door.

Same battery mfg'd by Deka is avail under " BigCrank " label is also avail from Batterymart online for $109.99 to your door.

For those with a modded HD having higher compression etc needing a more powerful battery there's Yuasa's GYZ32HL/500cca's that's avail for $132 inc S&H to you door from Phaperf Parts online. (I bought this battery from Phatperf for my HD which spins the stock motor (9.2 comp) over very well/fast!)

For the money they are the best most powerfull maint free fact activated batteries with proven reliability & good srv'c life avail on the market these days for our touring HD's VS the $170-$180 HD wants for their maint free fact activated AGM replacement battery for touring bikes that BTW is supposedly mfg by guess who,Deka/Eastern Pen battery mfg in PA.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 12-09-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:57 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

If the price is close, local walk in - walk out is nice in the event of an issue with the battery during the battery warranty, in addition to minimal down time.
For you guys that mail order your batteries, what is the usual procedures and costs related to a warranty issue/exchange? They cover shipping? How much down time are we talking?
Not bashing or side tracking, just curious...

The following users liked this post:
shark13 (08-15-2024)
Old 12-10-2016, 06:03 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I'm fortunate enough to have a Deka battery distributor about 10 miles from my house....I just go there, $100 out the door and I can put it in right there or they will do it for me.
I run Deka batteries in all of my vehicles.

Nice to know that Lowes has them as well.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:21 PM
chilidogtampa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while I am a satisfied repeat customer of batterymart.com , there is something to be said for being able to ride up, walk in and drop it in in the parking lot.

my Tampa Lowes shows it in stock. good find!!

Old 12-10-2016, 12:39 PM
twoglides13
Road Captain
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Does anyone know what the Deca battery type is for a 2013 Ultraglide Limited??

Old 12-10-2016, 12:57 PM
nevadarider
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been running the Deka Battery for 2 years since engine upgrades in my '04 Electraglide (95" with 9.5 compression) and an All-***** starter of slightly higher KV and things are okay in warm weather although sometimes the starter grunts to turn the motor over a bit. In cold weather (like around freezing or below) when trying to start the bike cold, the bike will not turn over fast enough to start. It turns over slower than normal and I think there is not enough voltage left over to produce spark. I have to put a charger on the battery on "Boost" which gives 50 amps more, to get the bike to start. I think I am going to try the Yuasa battery that was mentioned above in the thread this winter and see how it goes. I hope the Yuasa has the good battery posts similar to the ones on Deka and the HD OE batteries and not the cheesy posts like we have seen on the cheaper batteries or else there will be a meltdown!

Old 12-10-2016, 01:57 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by nevadarider
I have been running the Deka Battery for 2 years since engine upgrades in my '04 Electraglide (95" with 9.5 compression) and an All-***** starter of slightly higher KV and things are okay in warm weather although sometimes the starter grunts to turn the motor over a bit. In cold weather (like around freezing or below) when trying to start the bike cold, the bike will not turn over fast enough to start. It turns over slower than normal and I think there is not enough voltage left over to produce spark. I have to put a charger on the battery on "Boost" which gives 50 amps more, to get the bike to start. I think I am going to try the Yuasa battery that was mentioned above in the thread this winter and see how it goes. I hope the Yuasa has the good battery posts similar to the ones on Deka and the HD OE batteries and not the cheesy posts like we have seen on the cheaper batteries or else there will be a meltdown!
==============

Yes,yuasa's GYZ/500CCA for $132 to your door from phatperf online has more robust/stronger battery posts/terminals,its Yuasa's lower line less expensive maint free AGM repl batteries for HD touring bikes that have the weaker/smaller looking terminals/posts.

Ok,moving on,A fresh Deka/400cca battery should have no problem spinning over a 9.5 comp HD v-twin ,maybe not spin over real fast but non the less start it reliably/ok in avg riding cond.

I had that same battery in my HD that had 9.2 compression vs your bikes 9.5 compression being only .3 pt more comp that isn't near enough of an increase in compression to cause the starting issue you describe on your 13yr old bike that due to age likely has other/s causing your stating issues.

But if there's an issue with your bike like i suspect is the case i'd be looking @ like for example a tired & or weak starter & or weak charging system or both!

With a 13yr old bike I also rec you ensure cables/wires etc in starting/charging/grnd systems are all clean of corrosion & rust along with being nice & tight too.

I know guys that have same battery in their HD's with 9.8-10.0 comp that reliably starts them ok hot or cold down to 35-40deg f.

No Deka's 400cca battery wont spin over a 9.8-10.0 comp HD v-twin as fact as yuasa's more powerfull 500cca battery does,but none the less deka's 400cca can get it done as long as the starter & charging systems are both working properly @ 95-100% operating efficiency,but any less then that is when you start to have starting issues like your are experiencing with a 9.8 compression HD V-twin.

So with that said i'd not be surprised if your bike had something thats not working properly like even though you think the starter is in good working cond that in fact it may not be working up to 95-100% of it's operating efficiency significantly reducing it's cranking trq/power .

Might also have same type issue with the charging system not always keeping battery close to or at full charge too.

Either 1 of those & or both can cause the starting issue you describe.

Could also be you got the 1 in 1,000 Deka batateries thats not been working @ or close to it's stated 400CCA's from the day it was mfg'd which can happen causing the starting issue you describe too.

So before you do anything you should fully charge your deka battery and let it sit for approx 10-12hrs post fully charging.

Then take it to a auto store to have a proper cca load test done on it to ensure it's not a bum/weak battery before spending money on a more powerful Yuasa 500cca battery that could in fact cover up a weak starter or charging system issue for a while longer till either or both of them get worse enough that the more powerful 500cca battery couldn't handle/cover up the issue anymore too.

Since you having starting issues turning motor over hot or cold your Deka doesnt test well within & or at the top of it's spec'd load test voltage & CCA's i'd then replace it the Yuasa's GYZ#@HL/500cca battery.

And if/when you get a new battery put a charger on it to ensure its up to full operating voltage/amps prior to install.

And if that doesnt improve colder temp and hot starting much or not at all that should tell you something is still wrong like a tired starter.

BTW,should also chk charging system output,with bike off 7 battery @ full charge should show (using hand help voltmeter) approx 12.7v's ,with bike running @ idle you should see approx 13.9-14v's & approx 14.1-14.2v's @ 2k-2,200rpm.

If you see less voltage then that the stator & or v-reg has an issue or both have issues requiring replacement.

Regardless of how battery testing go's maybe you should also do a load test on the starter to see how many volts & amps its pulling using a load tester on the battery when cranking the bike over cold and hot too which can also be done @ autostore using the same equipment used to load test the battery . (Again,load test only after the battery has been fully charged & then has sat idle / non loaded with no battery cables of any kind hooked to it for 10-12hrs.)

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 12-10-2016 at 02:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nevadarider (12-23-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 05:55 PM
chilidogtampa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by twoglides13
Does anyone know what the Deca battery type is for a 2013 Ultraglide Limited??
if you navigate to batterymart.com you can search by your bike and get to the "big crank" which is their house name Deka battery.

these guys ship fast and shipping is in the price.

that lowes price is good though.

here is amazon https://www.amazon.com/Big-Crank-ETX...s=30la+battery

Quick Reply: Deka batteries...