Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen Passing Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Sheep
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halogen Passing Lamps

I picked up a 07 Ultra (black of course) back last July two days after I got the Heige pin out of my collarbone. Started making the odd change here and there:

103 Stage II upgrade
Premium oil cooler
Did the temp management flash
Pneumatic rider back rest
Got one of the LCD oil temp dipsticks
Got the in fairing oil temp gauge with the sensor in the oil pan for when the LCD one craps out or is stolen
HID headlight
A set of J&M shorty antennae (which impresses me)
The J&M speakers (Very nice)

Wish list
Looking at the ThundeMax but waiting a bit
GPS

Then I got this:
Auxiliary Lamp Bulb Kit - Clear Lens with Halogen Bulb
Enjoy bright balanced light which complements your Halogen Headlight. Distinctive reflective inner domes add new character to your front end. Kit includes two bulbs. These sealed beam bulbs are a direct replacement for Original Equipment or accessory Auxiliary Lighting Kits.
68208-98A

Now it comes with 35W bulbs. So I was going to replace them with 55W. So I open one up. The back is covered with a nice rubber boot that has a HD Bar & Shield embossed on it. Being the impatient person I am I destroyed the first one taking it off. The second I used a screwdriver, a hair drier and a lot more patience and got it off in one piece.

I figured I could pick up another one at the dealers since there is no way a technician is going to take the time to get one off in one piece to replace the bulb.

So I stop at the dealer on the way to Mayfly airshow. After 45 minutes with the parts departmentwhich involved a catalog, an online parts list, and another set of bulbs to prove there was a boot on the back they decided it didn't exist except as a part of the kit.

So I walk back and talk with the service writer. I describe it to him and his response "If a bulb blows we replace the set." So for a $5-10 bulb they replace it with a $70 light set.

Anyone know where I can get one? Right now I'm going to pull it back off. Then superglue together to tack it. Then stick a bead of a rubber compound adhesive along the tear from the inside.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Halogen Passing Lamps

Does thespot lightsyour talkin about have clips holding the bulbs in? The clips are under those glued down rubber covers that you cut off. Anyhow, if there is these clips by unhooking them you will be able to get at the H-3 stock bulbs. I would take those stock bulbs out, toss them in the trash, and install a set of Sylvania Silverstar H-3 bulbs in their place. You won't believe the difference between the brightness and white color of the Silverstar vs. the halogen bulb.

As for the rubber boot. Do as I did. Just glue it back on as good as possible and don't worry about it. No water can get into the back anyhow so you really don't need to worry about it...I've been running like this since '02 when I got my scoot...

Good luck...