Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Ultra Classic Cranks/No Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016 | 10:39 PM
dwfarris182
|
6th Gear
Default 2000 Ultra Classic Cranks/No Start

I have a 2000 Ultra Classic with around 35000 miles on it that a couple of weeks ago started after a cleaning got out of the parking lot and died. Would not start back up. Cranks like a champ but no fire.Here I am two weeks later. Checked fuses on fuel pump. Those were good. No fuel pump light or sound, so I replaced the fuel pump, etc. in tank. Same problem. Swapped relays, specifically the fuel pump relay, same thing. All the wiring looks good. Thinking about taking apart the run switch next. All of my electrical system seems to be good, lights, battery, etc. though in the last 2 years I have seen a hesitation on the pump wanting to prime all of the way when first turning on the ignition and run button. One time the pump light stayed on for an excessive amount of time but finally went off. However both times, that it happen, it always came out of its problem. Any other things I am missing here?

Old 12-03-2016 | 11:01 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Welcome to the Forums.

Stand By, someone who is up on your version efi will be right along.

until then, any mods to the motor- any tuning compensation?

Mike

Old 12-03-2016 | 11:06 PM
dwfarris182
|
6th Gear

No mods to the motor. Bone stock except for stage one air cleaner mod.
Power commander on it. Not sure of model but I think the previous owner installed when stock pipes came off back in 2001 or so.

Old 12-03-2016 | 11:26 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain

In the mean time, you can pull a plug and check for spark? Not sure what all is involved with EFI, but some things you can rule out. How did you clean your bike, hand wash...power wash? Possible some sensor connector became dislodged during your cleaning? Your 2000 Ultra logs error codes? You mentioned you checked the fuel pump fuses, they're good and all else seems ok. All fuses were checked?

Last edited by Mr. Mike; 12-03-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2016 | 11:31 PM
dwfarris182
|
6th Gear

I have spark. Power wash. Yes I could done something but it did run for 3 or 4 minutes just enough to get me down the road a ways before quitting in traffic. LOL. I have check all the connections and nothing seems out of kilter. It does log error codes but nothing matches what I should see according to my shop manual.

Old 12-03-2016 | 11:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

can you share the codes?- I know you are being methodical- but there could be a clue in there.

Mike

....even though my posts are useless- we are keeping this up top where it'll be seen by the smart guys

...also the magnetti marelli EFI was used starting in 1995- the evo section of the forums has some really smart guys who fix stuff with their bare hands

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-classic-models-84/

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-03-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2016 | 12:32 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior

I'm betting crank sensor. Cranking without starting and having it come on suddenly is a symptom. Also, it usually doesn't show any codes.

Old 12-04-2016 | 12:53 AM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain

35K miles...year 2000. Third or fourth battery do you know? Some have suggested a battery condition that would allow the motor to crank, but not have enough power to enable the EFI module. Don't know, but maybe set your charger on for half a day or until full charge is registered and try again (nothin to loose).
+1 on the Uncles call.

Mike- yer killin me with the "useless posts" line!

Old 12-04-2016 | 05:07 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Volt meter should read 10 or above. If not, the bike may not start.

I bought a 2000 Ultra new and had no issues with it until 70,000+ miles.

I started having an missing/erratic idle issue and keep steady RPM's at lower speeds. I tried lots of things but in the end it turned out to be an Engine Temperature Switch (that would not allow the bike to code) and when that was replaced it then indicated that the ECM needed to be replaced.
I would seriously recommend that you try to find an OEM Magnetti-Marelli replacement. We couldn't located one and went with another brand and although it corrected the erratic RPM issue, the bike never started as well as it always did before the ECM was replaced.

Another issue that I had was the handlebar "kill switch" went bad (slowly) and sometimes the bike would be very hard to get started, and then it would sometimes quit running abut would usually start again but that became more frequent. It quit on my street one day and it was about 15 minutes before I could get it cranked up and when I got home it went on the trailer and to the dealer the following day.

Good luck.

Old 12-04-2016 | 07:28 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Well since it started after you power washed your bike, the water jet messed up something in your electrical system. Since you were able to crankup and ride a few yards before it died, its something powering your fuel system. You have spark and battery is cranking good you say so I doubt its your run switch. Did you spray in or around your air intake/throttle body? How about your power commander, where is it mounted? Under the seat or behind the side cover? Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ultra Classic Cranks/No Start