Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 AM
PROVIDER7
Tourer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery Issue

Think the cold weather got my battery yesterday a 3yr old Big Crank has worked flawlessly up to yesterday, when the old Streetglide barely started! I rode home from working thinking the battery would charge up somewhat during the 30min ride, but it didn't turned the bike off in the driveway and tried to restart no luck only the dreaded click from the starter.

Bikes been on a battery tender overnight and shows green light bike will start initially no problem, but won't when shutdown to restart a second time.

I suspect the battery went south on me as I had no electrical issues up to this point. Question: will the bike throw a code if their is something is wrong with the charging system??? I check for DTC's and have none. Plan to take the battery out and have Autozone test it even though it charges up.

If the battery checks out not to sure what the next step should be any forum advice would be much appreciated.

P7

Old 12-03-2016, 11:04 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Connect a known, good meter to the bike. Connect probes via the tender pigtail, whatever. Get the bike started then check it again. Battery alone should show 12.5 or better, bike running should show 14 or so (If all is well).
Make sure all connections are good.
Battery may be shot, load test will confirm that.
Good luck!

Old 12-03-2016, 11:17 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

probably shot.

a tender is made to trickle charge and "tend" a charged battery

a charger is made to charge a battery

a "green light" will mean that the battery is no longer "charging" from the tender- it doesn;t really mean that the battery is able to store a charge.

I've seen totally pooped batteries show a green light at 11.5 volts- dead dead dead.

while you are doing this, check your battery cables are clean and tight at both ends- easily done with the battery out.

new battery time?

the deka big crank is still about $100 delivered on amazon or ebay from batterymart.

- this last time I went with a yuasa for $130

forum member WSCOTT keeps a pretty good eye on battery prices for us, check his posts.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (12-04-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 02:03 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,710 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Have you checked your charging system, stator for failure? The bike starts fine but the battery is dead when it's time to restart, no charge?

Old 12-03-2016, 03:13 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by PROVIDER7
Think the cold weather got my battery yesterday a 3yr old Big Crank has worked flawlessly up to yesterday, when the old Streetglide barely started! I rode home from working thinking the battery would charge up somewhat during the 30min ride, but it didn't turned the bike off in the driveway and tried to restart no luck only the dreaded click from the starter.

Bikes been on a battery tender overnight and shows green light bike will start initially no problem, but won't when shutdown to restart a second time.

I suspect the battery went south on me as I had no electrical issues up to this point. Question: will the bike throw a code if their is something is wrong with the charging system??? I check for DTC's and have none. Plan to take the battery out and have Autozone test it even though it charges up.

If the battery checks out not to sure what the next step should be any forum advice would be much appreciated.

P7
===================================

As already suggested 1st chk to ensure charging systems doing its thing prior to getting a new battery.

1st fully charge the battery and after its been off charger for at least 3.5-4hrs it should ready (at battery using voltmeter) approx 12.7-12.8v's + - with little to no load & bike off.

With battery now at it's full charge it would also be a good idea to have it properly load tested too.

Then with motor running should read approx 13.9-14v's @ idle 14-14.2v's @ 2k-2,200rpm.

If charging system chks out ok then you likely need a new battery.

If thats the case here a couple good quality fact activated maint free AGM bike batteries @ great prices:

* YUASA'S GYZ32HL/500CC,I PAID $132 (Retail is $200+) FOR THIS BATTERY TO MY DOOR FROM PHATPERF ONLINE.

* DEKA'S ETX30L/400CCA,$98 (Retail is $140+) TO YOUR DOOR FROM HIGH-TECH BATTERY ONLINE.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 12-03-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:32 PM
PROVIDER7
Tourer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gentlemen thanks for the feedback. Had Autozone test the battery an it's a goner. Will use WSCOTT's links to get a new one on its way so I can get back in the saddle again by next week.

P7

Old 12-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,998 Likes on 7,298 Posts

Connect that tender up after every ride. Especially with a security system that is drawing power from the battery as it sits.

The following users liked this post:
bradsULtd (12-04-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 09:37 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Nothing lasts for ever. They're just like automobiles. You got'z to put some regular maintenance into the bikes every now and then.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:53 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by PROVIDER7
Gentlemen thanks for the feedback. Had Autozone test the battery an it's a goner. Will use WSCOTT's links to get a new one on its way so I can get back in the saddle again by next week.

P7
As stated, check the bike charging system, you can damage it while running a dead battery.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:16 AM
danny54
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Big cranks are junk, Buy yourselr a Yuasa little more money but well worth it

Quick Reply: Battery Issue