Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo/Tach combo

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:11 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Speedo/Tach combo

Thinking about replacing the stock speedo with the combo, Harley PN 74774-11c. Like the look and it seems that it will be easier to check RPM and other status without clicking through the LCD readout.

Those of you who have it...thoughts?
Those of you who opted not to....thoughts?

Tnx

Old 12-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I put one on my '07 FLHR, one of the best upgrades I've done!

Old 12-02-2016, 09:40 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I like the way the LCD display on the Combo Speedo looks easier to read and full of info. The multiple color options also seem pretty cool, but I decided not to do the swap for now.

I like the clean look of the stock speedo. I also like the way every Harley I've ever ridden has the needle pointing straight up at 60 mph. Sounds stupid, but that's what I'm used to...

Old 12-02-2016, 11:40 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,907 Likes on 4,132 Posts

Most people install it for looks, functions (myriad of colors for speedo/tach needles and backlight, clock, two trip odometers, fuel gauge, gear indicator and distance to empty) and idiot lights.

Most people that don't like it because they install it on an older bike and can't take advantage of all the functions (fuel gauge or gear indicator).

The bottom line is it's a speedo and tach in one unit with other functions. That simple. If you like it install it.

Realize that once installed, if you ride longer than 31 miles it is married to your bike. If installed on another bike after that "VINERR" shows in the display.

Here are other threads about it.

I like mine because it looks good and all of its functions. Mine happens to show MPH and km/h. In my picture, the colors don't show because it is daylight.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:25 AM
MMCSKPD
Intermediate
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed it on my 2017 Road King. I love it. I particularly like that the gear indicator lights up a Green 6 when in top gear. Very easy swap. Took all of 10 minutes.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the replies....got to say @Bone, the flush mount fillers with the speedo/tach looks great.....

Old 12-03-2016, 12:04 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I like the look of the integrated speedo/tach combo, it looks great when standing next to the bike. On the other hand, location for the tach is not one of my favorites. The rider takes eyes from off road view, and looks down at a ping pong ball size tach focusing on what rpm is frankly very scary IMHO.

Like my tach centered over the handlebars close to my view 3 3/8" diameter and larger for quick view. Maybe not as appealing to many, but personally prefer safety & function over aesthetics.

Guess you can say I'm stuck on old school thinking.

Remember a related topic long time ago at the drag strip, a young enthusiast asked me why my tach was rotated 45 degrees to the left and not straight up as it should be?
My reply was I turned it counter clockwise so the red line shift point is at the 12:00 position, that makes it easier to see to shift without taking my eyes off the road at 160 mph! His reply was cool, that makes sense.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:33 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Had one on my 2013 RK.Best accessory I bought for that bike.