Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife has a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 07:30 PM
FFZHD
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No need for new fender, or rotors?
Unless he wants them
GC is good idea

Old 11-29-2016, 07:49 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,183 Posts

Originally Posted by FFZHD
No need for new fender, or rotors?
Unless he wants them
GC is good idea
??? Doesn't he presently have a 16" tire?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:01 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 270 Posts

AS said before a GIFT CERTIFICATE and a picture of a tire and wheel ---- this is not a simple change and depending on the bike it could mean up to cutting and welding for the rake and trail . If I myself was giving a gift to someone as this nature I would give a certificate

Old 11-29-2016, 10:26 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Actually ya can buy a rim and spokes to relace to the front hub. Ya need a 21"X2.5" 40 spoke rim with matching spokes plus labor to relace and a matching 21" tire, tube and rim liner. The front fender will work with minor bolt hole enlargement and adjustment. But really a gift certificate is a better idea if ya don't really know what he wants/needs...

Old 11-30-2016, 03:52 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

He won't need a new fender on that year bike to switch to a 21, it will fit with the stock fender. I assume he's seen a "fat spoke" style rim since this is 99% of what you'll see nowadays on the Road Kings that have been switched to 21" spoke front wheels. Call Eastern Performance in Maryland and ask for Dereck S. He'll ask the important questions and have it shipped to your door with a tire mounted on it in plenty of time for Christmas. You can verify that this style is what you're looking for on their webste. The brake rotors from his old wheel can be reused on the new, but I recommend getting new "teardrop" style ones that match the wheel better. And by the way you don't want a 2.5, you want a 3.5 for this, but again they'll know what to send after a few minutes of questions. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Loc_Tite; 11-30-2016 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:28 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
He won't need a new fender on that year bike to switch to a 21, it will fit with the stock fender. I assume he's seen a "fat spoke" style rim since this is 99% of what you'll see nowadays on the Road Kings that have been switched to 21" spoke front wheels. Call Eastern Performance in Maryland and ask for Dereck S. He'll ask the important questions and have it shipped to your door with a tire mounted on it in plenty of time for Christmas. You can verify that this style is what you're looking for on their webste. The brake rotors from his old wheel can be reused on the new, but I recommend getting new "teardrop" style ones that match the wheel better. And by the way you don't want a 2.5, you want a 3.5 for this, but again they'll know what to send after a few minutes of questions. Merry Christmas!
I assume you want this to be a great surprise, and this response will get you there. - AWESOME PRESENT!!! - if my wife did something like this for me, I would be extatic!

You have a lucky man!

Old 11-30-2016, 08:18 AM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Good Morning Brophywife, I have a couple of questions ? Did you guys buy this Bike New ? This was the 1st year of the Twin Cam Motor, not the Best Motor, H-D ever built ! How many miles on it ? You have 2 things going for you, the Forged Crank & Timkin Bearings !
If you haven't addressed the Crappy Cam Chain Tensioners, that's what I would do, FIRST, before I put on a New Front Wheel, that won't turn, with a Blown Motor ! Get your priorities straight, #1, Great running Drivetrain, before the Xmas Ornaments ! Merry Xmas, BJ

Old 11-30-2016, 05:26 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Edited for saying something I shouldn't (not to the wife, your awesome).

Old 12-02-2016, 07:14 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

You have a great gift Idea. If you can get a friend of his on board, they can sit at the computer and pick out exactly what he wants and from where, have friend help him save it to the shopping cart. this way everything he wants is listed for the change over. friend can suggest this as a way for him to have the shopping list for later. make sure friend confirms that if you were doing this today this is what you want right. all you would have to do is click buy and there you have it. I would be careful with gift certificate because it is probably not refundable,and he may want to buy from different shop. good luck

Old 12-02-2016, 09:17 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,592 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I'm assuming this is the look he's looking for (it's my old '04 roadking)

it's a 21x3.5" wheel (that one is DNA, other companies make them too) tire is a 120/70/21. I forget who made the rotors, I happen to think they completely change the look of the wheel over using the stock rotors.

These guys are forum vendors http://ridewrightwheels.com/ and can set you up with everything you need, one call, done right, shipped to your door

Quick Reply: Wife has a question