Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think it's the battery - any other ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:08 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I think it's the battery - any other ideas?

It's been steady downpour for the last 3 weeks o so, but today cleared a little and I have a new electric jacket liner so I decided to do some errands on the scoot.
Got to my first destination and the security system wouldn't disarm. Wife brought the second fob, no dice.
Went down the street and bought new fob batteries but that wasn't it either.
I'm waiting for the tow but pondering. Original battery but always on a ende. First option?

Old 11-28-2016, 04:48 PM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Your manual will show you how to disarm/rearm the security manually without the fob. It's good to learn how to, just for times like this.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:11 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

use the wallet card in the back of the owners manuel, it has instructions for dismaying using the turn signals and a place to write the code. could be dead battery(sometimes the tenders go bad and overcharge, could be corroded terminals or loose. could be a charging system problem.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

this is not uncommon- everyone with an alarm, if you don;t know how to set and enter a PIN- go do it now.

I'll wait here.

2.) sometimes radio frequency can keep the alarm from finding the fob- mobil speedpass pumps are known for this.also a bunch of other harleys can do this*

if you suspect this is the case, push your bike 50 ft and try again

as for bike battery- got bright headlights?

mike

* even riding alongside my Pal...his alarm started chirping for some unknown reason at highway speeds- nothing happened, just chirps

Old 11-28-2016, 11:40 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Battery

All:
The thing is so messed up I cannot even get into the kill security mode - it just flashes like I was trying to steal it. I got it home, it's on the tender now. I'll see what tomorrow brings,

Old 11-28-2016, 11:44 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm curious, what year bike is it? Do all these new bikes have these problems? Chirping as your going down the road? Been thinking about buying a new bike, but it seems everyone has one problem or another. Maybe I should save this for a new thread?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Road Star
I'm curious, what year bike is it? Do all these new bikes have these problems? Chirping as your going down the road? Been thinking about buying a new bike, but it seems everyone has one problem or another. Maybe I should save this for a new thread?
No, just pour yourself your favourite long drink and chill out man! Modern vehicles are not littering the World's highways because their electronics have suddenly packed up. Despite the dynosaurs who would have us believe otherwise, modern vehicles are far more reliable than in days of old. My first new Harley, a '74 FX1200, packed up because it broke it's wires, not anything electronic.

As for the OP's problem, check your charging system, once you get running again, just to confirm that all is well. There are a couple of helpful Stickies over in the Tech Electrical section.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:09 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Alter Kaker
All:
The thing is so messed up I cannot even get into the kill security mode - it just flashes like I was trying to steal it. I got it home, it's on the tender now. I'll see what tomorrow brings,
I don't think it's messed up. sounds like you are in an area where there is intermittent rf interference. enough to keep you from starting, but not enough to let you input your override code before it polls again.

what you have to do in situations like this is to take your key about 25 feet away. leave it there, come back, and use your code to start your bike. just don't forget to go pick your key back up before you take off....

Old 11-29-2016, 01:40 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
I don't think it's messed up. sounds like you are in an area where there is intermittent rf interference. enough to keep you from starting, but not enough to let you input your override code before it polls again.

what you have to do in situations like this is to take your key about 25 feet away. leave it there, come back, and use your code to start your bike. just don't forget to go pick your key back up before you take off....
That's the thing I don't get, why would you have to go through these ridiculous gymnastics? Hasn't this technology been proven with automobiles? I have never heard of anyone having an issue like this with their cage. Is the MOCO buying inferior technology and components?

Old 11-29-2016, 01:53 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
That's the thing I don't get, why would you have to go through these ridiculous gymnastics? Hasn't this technology been proven with automobiles? I have never heard of anyone having an issue like this with their cage. Is the MOCO buying inferior technology and components?
I work near a navy Jet base (2 miles) and the first five years I owned my truck it would not unlock with the remote within 3 miles of the base. Bike worked fine but not the truck. I guess one day they changed their signals and all works well in the truck now with no changes by me. I love the security on my 07. No buttons on the fob. Get withing about 7 feet of the bike and it disarms. I practice the code enter enough to not forget how but have never needed it.

Quick Reply: I think it's the battery - any other ideas?