Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King with Apehangers, How'd you do it??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:55 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road King with Apehangers, How'd you do it??

I'm trying to figure out which handlebars to get, I've been having a little trouble on long rides with my lower back getting sore. I already have a Sundowner seat on my RK but a buddy of mine has a set of 10" mini apes on his RK and he says that his back pain went away as soon as he started riding with them.

He has no clue what kind of bars they are since he was not the one who installed them. He got them done at an indy shop and he's not one to ask questions.

SOOOOO I would like to hear some options on what I could do. I dont really want to spend a ton of money getting extended brake lines and throttle cables and all that crap. I want to use the existing hardware and just add slightly taller handlebars.

I tried a set of Heritage softail bars and I did not like them They just didnt look right when I put them up high and they definitely were not comfortable for me. I just need to stretch out a little more!! I'm about 5'11" and mostly in my upper half.
Any help appreciated!

Old 05-28-2007, 11:07 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Road King with Apehangers, How'd you do it??

Come on no one on here has apehangers??
Or is it that I'm asking a totally rediculous and stupid question???

Old 05-28-2007, 11:08 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Try fishafly. He has apes on a roadking.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:33 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

lots of folks have them - and you will get OPINIONS galore - everyone is different... what works for one may not work for you... I have ran Wild1's 513 on several bikes and I do like them... they are just about equal to the stock WG bars except "chubby" they are 8.5 inches high, look good and are not super high apes - but if you like that look or have super long arms... they do make a 10" or a 12"...

Bars are like seats - we each like something just a little different

Old 05-28-2007, 11:41 PM
jarman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not really sure you can go to apes without changing the cables and extending the wiring. I went with Carlini 1.5" diameter 18"tall apes. Changed over to chrome on everything amd custom ordered the cables from Barnett. Probably got well over a$1,500 in'em from the Nacelle up.I bought most of my stuff on E-bay and did my own work. There is no telling what it would cost to have them done at the dealer. I would do it over again in a minute. It's the most comfortable ride for me that I have ever had and I've been riding for over 15 years.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:36 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I am 6'1" and 350 lbs. I was getting a terrible burn in between my shoulderblades, so I switched to apes. Now, that pain is completely gone. No problem with numb hands, and getting use to them was quick. I am more torso than leg, so I went with a 18" 1 1/4" LA Chopper bar. I love them. I had an Indy do the work, all in all cost me $800. If I was to do it over, I would attempt it myself, and save some cash. Of course I had to have new lines made +10, but it was a small price to pay for all day comfort. And I think they look awsome. But, that is JMHO. Any higher than the heritage bars, and I think you would have to change cables. Best to go to a local hangout and ask to sit on a ride. You wouldn't want to get say, 10" bars, and discover you really should have gone 16". Just ask, I for one, have no problem letting people test fit my bars, as long as they ask first.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/8D04F8EC71434594B0C8F7C8F7B72CCF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-29-2007, 01:44 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You CAN go to a Mini Ape Like a 8 1\2" without changing the cables but you'll have to re-route & bend the Ft Brake line...

Old 05-29-2007, 01:48 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I have Never been a fan of that "bending" the brake line... I really do not understand why after all the $$$ spent on a bar switch to Not just go ahead and do the brake line the right way - of course, this is just my thoughts - and the last time I checked - we all have the right to do our bike our own way - try and find a bike that has apes on it - try it out and do it right the first time...

Old 05-29-2007, 03:24 AM
Seawolf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I had on my old Road King and they were very comfortable http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Longtimegone
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wild One 515 bars - 10" apes. Barnett cables and Goodridge hoses. Clutch +3, throttle & idle +4, brake hose +4, wires extended about 7". If you want more details, just let me know.

Quick Reply: Road King with Apehangers, How'd you do it??