Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15 amp light fuse blowing

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007 | 01:31 PM
hawnstar
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 amp light fuse blowing

my lights were out,found the 15 amp light fuse blown.changed it was ok until I hit the high beams pop went the fuse again.went home took the fairging and the switch apart checked things could find any bare wires put the fairing back changed the fuse and it worked.than I put the switch back on the handle bars started her up checked it again and the fuse blew.I wondering if something is pinching in the switch harness when its reinstalled or only somehow when the engine is on it blows.any one have a simular problem.thanks in advance.

Old 05-28-2007 | 01:57 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 15 amp light fuse blowing

Sounds to me like the problem is in the switch housing area....tear it down, inspect the wiring VERY closely - likely bein' crimped when ya put 'er back together.

Old 05-28-2007 | 02:56 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T-Redneck is right on - pull the control housing apart and the short will be there somewhere. I had the same trouble a couple weeks ago - mine was a bare wire at one of the passing lamps. Process of elimination helped me find it. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2007 | 03:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

My money is on a pinched wire in the left switch housing. You may have to pull back the black plastic/rubber conduit to see it after you seperate the switch housing halves. The hi-lo wires are probably the yellow, blue, or white colored wires--they are on my '04 EG, and the colors are pretty standard year to year.

Old 05-28-2007 | 04:34 PM
tanq
Cruiser

I'm having the same problem, have the fairing half apart right now, only if it is in the switch housing I still need to go in and see why my air temp gauge isn't working, lights up but the needle does not move.

Old 05-29-2007 | 04:34 AM
tanq
Cruiser

I'm not blowing the fuse anymore, nor did I completely identify the problem. I noticed that the switch housing wire cluster looked rather "crunched" inside of the clutch perch mount. I removed both of them, re-ran the wires through the clutch bar clamp, and the problem was solved. I'm sure that there is a quite possibly a bare wire portion somewhere in there, but I was too anxious to get back on the road with my new bike. Good Luck

Old 05-29-2007 | 07:52 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one quick observation from previous experience.
Electrical current is like water...they will both find the path of least resistance.
Thus if you have a pinched wire...one that is not bare or shorted out...that will still likely blow a fuse.
Here is why!
If a wire is pinched, the flow of current is restricted and causes the wire to over heat (for lack of a better term)
This over heating produces a strain on the wire and the circuit. The fuse, which is the path of least resistance, blows because of the strain.
Eliminating the pinch in the wire will likely eliminate the restricted flow of current, which makes the curcuit no over heat and no more blown fuse.
Think of it sort of like kinking a water hose. The more you kink the more water pressure you get but the less water you get. Same principle with electricity.