Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot tire pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 02:38 PM
GregLeo
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot tire pressure.

Does anyone have " real" info on what the tire pressure on warm/ operating tires should be. What is the ideal pressure for running tires? Please do not refer me to cold pressures or nitrogen. I have active monitoring and ride in extremes of temperature and altitude and the cold pressure info is not sufficient for my riding style. I'm looking for more than just another WAG on this subject by everyone that has no clue what I'm talking about plz. For sake of the conversation, assume I understand the basics of thermo and fluid dynamics. Thanks

Old 11-22-2016, 02:49 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,511 Likes on 993 Posts

Then you already understand PV=nRT, and can go from there based on the operating temperature of the tire after it's been run a bit.

But far more simply, set the cold pressure before you ride, note the higher pressure after you've ridden a bit in the heat. That gets you the value.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by GregLeo
nitrogen
doesn;t much expand with heat or elevation= more stable psi in your tires.

will settle most concerns.

regularly ride from 800 to 8000 feet.
regular ol' air makes a diff. nitrogen doesn;t.

in your other post you note a 5 psi or more change, that wouldn;t be outside the realm of normal- and for some riders in some conditions you might feel the difference how the rubber meets the road.

nitrogen solves that too, I take my filler tank to costco for mine.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-22-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:03 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,862 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Don't make more of this than you need to! Cold pressures are good enough. What your tyres get up to while you're riding is best ignored, unless perhaps you're racing. If you are really interested then write to your favourite tyre brand and ask them.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,687 Likes on 3,882 Posts

Does anyone have " real" info on what the tire pressure on warm/ operating tires should be. What is the ideal pressure for running tires? Please do not refer me to cold pressures or nitrogen. I have active monitoring and ride in extremes of temperature and altitude and the cold pressure info is not sufficient for my riding style. I'm looking for more than just another WAG on this subject by everyone that has no clue what I'm talking about plz. For sake of the conversation, assume I understand the basics of thermo and fluid dynamics. Thanks
This is easy.. It's whatever pressure you want to run to get the performance you want, be it handling or mileage.. Simply use cold pressure to set it. You can mess with hot pressures if desired but check it cold so that you can set it cold..

Old 11-22-2016, 03:23 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,799 Likes on 9,866 Posts

There is a big thread on this Jim Gneitky. I'm sure I have that spelling wrong. I'll try to find it when at home.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:44 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 191 Posts

Just curious, what are the extreme temps & altitudes?

Old 11-22-2016, 03:47 PM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 74 Posts

4lbs above cold tire pressure.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:49 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,596 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Tire gauges can be way off.....add this into the mix.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:24 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,799 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Here's a link to one of the threads this guy posted on the subject. He has at least 2 others.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ht=JimGnitecki

Quick Reply: Hot tire pressure.