Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot tire pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:30 PM
dwoodlives
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

10° F temp change = 1 psi.

1000-feet of altitude change = [approx.] 0.5 psi.

Keep in mind that when measuring tire pressure that your gauge is referencing [comparing to] the ambient air pressure, ambient being "zero". Ambient can be all over the place depending on altitude and current barometric pressure.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Back in the days of race bikes running bias ply tires, it was said that the difference between cold tire pressure should be less than 10%. So...36 cold and under 40 hot all was well and expected. No rise meant too much cold pressure and more than 10% meant too low cold pressure.

That being said, if you do not have a good calibrated tire pressure gauge then you may not be able to distinquish 10% differential accurately. TPMS are horrible inaccurate.

Last edited by Goose_NC; 11-22-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:04 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 749 Likes on 513 Posts

Too much technology, too little knowledge. Tire manufacturers have been making tires for a long time. They know about hot summer blacktop and elevation changes. If the tire manufacturer says X pressure cold (say 40 psi) he already knows that the pressure will go to 50 or bit more on a hot summer afternoon high speed run. That was taken into account when the tire was engineered. The enemy of tires is heat, not pressure. If you LOWER the cold pressure because the hot temp pressure seems scary, the tire will flex more and get even hotter, at some point exceeding the temperature the manufacturer designed for. Then the tire fails from initial LOW pressure. I run all of my tires at the max allowed figure embossed on the sidewall, at less than the max load my tire will run cooler than the same tire at the "recommended" pressure for my machine. Lower pressure seems to encourage cupping also. The max on the sidewall also seems to slow cupping even more than the "recommended" pressure. I just accept whatever the tread wear rate is for that higher pressure. When the question comes up, how many miles did I get from tire X, my mileage to wear out is right up with the top claims. Even with automotive tires, my experience is that the max sidewall pressure provides even wear across the tread face. Perhaps radial ties are less sensitive to pressure for center or shoulder wear than were bias tires.

Your machine, do what you want, remember you happy BEFORE TPMS came along. By knowing that the manufacturers had all of this figured out long before you bought your first tire and before TPMS, you can be happy again, even with the data overload from TPMS.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:10 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 318 Posts

The question that should have been asked was, what should your tire pressure be when refueling?

Old 11-23-2016, 10:29 AM
GregLeo
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanRC
4lbs above cold tire pressure.
My rear tire routinely increases 7 psi on stable outside air temp and altitude!

Old 11-23-2016, 10:57 AM
GregLeo
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
Just curious, what are the extreme temps & altitudes?
400 ft to 13000 ft. 29 degrees F to over 100.

If you set a tire in the cold morning before the sun comes up and your still in the low lands, then ride all day through high mountain passes, your going to run some pretty high pressures. Nitrogen doesn't help.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:28 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by GregLeo
Does anyone have " real" info on what the tire pressure on warm/ operating tires should be. ,,,
Yep.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:14 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Yep.

And you are keeping it a secret.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:19 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
The question that should have been asked was, what should your tire pressure be when refueling?

No "solid answer" for that either. Are you stopping for gas after an hour of urban stop and go low speed driving or after 2 hours of uninterrupted interstate cruising at 80 mph? Worrying about hot tire pressure after it has been properly set according to manufacturer's procedures and value is pointless. The tire is built for whatever happens during normal use.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:21 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by GregLeo
400 ft to 13000 ft. 29 degrees F to over 100.

If you set a tire in the cold morning before the sun comes up and your still in the low lands, then ride all day through high mountain passes, your going to run some pretty high pressures. Nitrogen doesn't help.
You're not actually going to ride 'all day', presumably take a break at some time? Check 'em again after they have cooled down. However if you reset them they will obviously go down as you descend back to home.

Man has been riding/driving through mountains since the inflatable tyre was invented. Personally I wouldn't spend too much time on this. Have you phoned or emailed your tyre maker for their input?

Quick Reply: Hot tire pressure.