Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eBay Rushmore Saddlebags - Anyone Have them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:36 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts
Default eBay Rushmore Saddlebags - Anyone Have them?

Considering putting some hard bags on the RKC. Has anyone purchased the Rushmore style saddlebags from eBay? Interested to know how well the hardware works - hinges, latches, cable system...? The older style latches are proven to work well, albeit a bit clunky.

Do you think its worth paying more for the eBay Rushmore style bags? They are slightly rounder but the biggest thing seems to be the easier latch system.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:13 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't have any, but being able to open them while seated is a pretty handy feature. I've had pretty good luck with eBay purchases, but I've never bought saddlebags either.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:46 PM
151fire
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I have some. Paint is very glossy but is a little wavy in spots,not very noticeable, never been mentioned to me by those I ride with. Latches are definitely where they lack, the Harley brand bags operate very smoothly and effortlessly these on the other hand do not, a little tight/stinky when latching Im actually afraid at times I'm going to break something from pushing to hard. Also, the parts are obviously cheap and I've broke the bolt that holds the lock in place because the key would not operate smoothly, I have a set of Harley brand locks on order. And lastly for whatever reason the handle on the left bag keeps coming unscrewed and falls off, even with Locktite. Eventually I'll save up and get Harley brand bags but these work for now just know they are not of the same quality.

The following users liked this post:
KumaRide (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 08:50 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks, the hardware is where I thought the newer style ebay bags would be lacking. I like the shape of them but maybe going with the older style bags with the simpler latch system is the way to go. They also can be found for under $200 complete. Hard to beat that price point.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:27 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by 151fire
I have some. Paint is very glossy but is a little wavy in spots,not very noticeable, never been mentioned to me by those I ride with. Latches are definitely where they lack, the Harley brand bags operate very smoothly and effortlessly these on the other hand do not, a little tight/stinky when latching Im actually afraid at times I'm going to break something from pushing to hard. Also, the parts are obviously cheap and I've broke the bolt that holds the lock in place because the key would not operate smoothly, I have a set of Harley brand locks on order. And lastly for whatever reason the handle on the left bag keeps coming unscrewed and falls off, even with Locktite. Eventually I'll save up and get Harley brand bags but these work for now just know they are not of the same quality.

Whoa! Kick A$$ review. I have been wondering this exact same thing. As with most things, the cheap Chinese replacement parts are whoafully inferior, but I was not expecting this. Thanks for such a helpful reply to the OP's question. I have liked the latch design of the newer style bags since they came out. Just on principle, I would NEVER pay MOCO prices for a set of saddlebags, but for the same reason, I won't buy junk Chinese knock-offs either.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 PM
moefoties
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

**BUMP** Anyone else have experience with the eBay Rushmore style bags? Thinking about picking up a set for my '05 RKC

Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Hey Kuma you wouldn’t need them in cool blue pearl I imagine.

i went through this exact same thing 2 years ago and still today. Bought the older style HD and had them painted. But...I really want the shape of the newer bags and the one-touch deal. So....wishing I would have gone the other way....it wouldn’t be such a big deal but it cost like $500 to have them painted.

are you looking at the Matazu?

Last edited by SnoRider; 02-25-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:03 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Put a set on my wife’s ride. I bought the bags with no hardware, and bought the fairing factory latch kit. My only complaint on the hardware is the locks, they are kinda of chincy, but I’m going to replace them with keyed to match ones anyway.

Very happy with the bags, they are solid, and look great. I still need to paint them to match, but the vivid black looks good.