Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,945 Likes on 806 Posts
Default Won't Start

My 14 SG has sat for a couple weeks due to out of town family visiting.

Was all pumped up for a nice sunny 80 degree day ride to Gator Joe's with some friends. Was looking most forward to a short 80+ mile ride thru parts of Ocala Forest.

Rolled my bike out and it wouldn't start, like the battery was low. Then I noticed the flashers wouldn't turn off. I had HD put a security system on it last year.

One of my friends has some kinda portable jump starter he said he was on the way with. Called Harley and they said the battery may be bad in the fob, told him I tried both fobs, and even tried putting in the code manually.

The flashers have finally stopped, I do have it on a battery tender now.

Never had this problem with any Harley I've ever owned. Kinda sound like the starter solenoid may be bad, but that wouldn't cause the turn signal flashers to keep running constantly.

Kinda wish now I'd bought the extended warrenty, but if I can pin point the problem I can fix it myself.

Anyone ever experienced something like this? The bike turns over for a second then clicks.

*edit* the jump starter thing my friend had didn't make any difference.

Last edited by Kevin714; 11-19-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 181 Likes on 136 Posts

Charge the battery up and get it load tested. It may be time to replace. It can be difficult to jump start a vehicle when the battery is low. I have found it helpful when jump starting a Harley to connect the positive lead of the jump pact directly to the positive battery cable lug on the starter.
Please let us know what the resolution to the problem is.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:16 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

dead battery= no start.

your battery may recharge- but a charger is a charger, a tender is a tender...made to "tend" a charged battery.

so get a charger which will put out 5 to 10 amps and charge for 12 to 24 hours.

but...your battery could be toast discharging a battery can damage it so that it will not hold a charge anymore.

2.) DO NOT try to start your bike with a duff battery...when the solenoid clicks- it is damaging itself internally and may need replacement.

3.) you can read the post from the guy who connected his pals cables the wrong way around...
when you jump a vehecle to start it, the duff battery will put a load on your charging system which may exceed it's capabilities..so a $100 problem ( battery) becomes a $600 problem ( new stator, regulator etc...add labor)

4.) Kudos for knowing and being able to enter your alarm pin- so many riders are too lazy, until it's too late

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-19-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boomer1143
Charge the battery up and get it load tested. It may be time to replace. It can be difficult to jump start a vehicle when the battery is low. I have found it helpful when jump starting a Harley to connect the positive lead of the jump pact directly to the positive battery cable lug on the starter.
Please let us know what the resolution to the problem is.
We tried that.

I've put the tender on it in the past and in 1/4 hour the light would always be green. Had it on there for 5 hours, and the light is still red. Just put it on my car to see if the tender might be bad.

I did get it to start. Let it run about 5 minuets and shut it off and it started right back up.

My last Harley battery lasted 5 years and 11 months. Never had one that died before 5 years. Guess I could have a bad battery. The bike is a 2014.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member

Still sucks I missed a good almost 200 mile ride on a flawless day. Gonna be damn cold tomorrow with the highs in the low 60's.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,366 Likes on 4,986 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin714
Gonna be damn cold tomorrow with the highs in the low 60's.
Maybe you need some electric heated clothes so you can ride during the brutal Florida winter.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:33 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,366 Likes on 4,986 Posts

Deleted double post

Old 11-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Maybe you need some electric heated clothes so you can ride during the brutal Florida winter.
One of the people that were riding with us took a heated jacket for the ride back when the sun went down. Florida weather is different than up north, 60 here feels like 40 there.

When I lived in Cincinnati I'd ride anytime the temps were 40 or above...not like that after living here for 16 years.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
dead battery= no start.

your battery may recharge- but a charger is a charger, a tender is a tender...made to "tend" a charged battery.

so get a charger which will put out 5 to 10 amps and charge for 12 to 24 hours.

but...your battery could be toast discharging a battery can damage it so that it will not hold a charge anymore.

2.) DO NOT try to start your bike with a duff battery...when the solenoid clicks- it is damaging itself internally and may need replacement.

3.) you can read the post from the guy who connected his pals cables the wrong way around...
when you jump a vehecle to start it, the duff battery will put a load on your charging system which may exceed it's capabilities..so a $100 problem ( battery) becomes a $600 problem ( new stator, regulator etc...add labor)

4.) Kudos for knowing and being able to enter your alarm pin- so many riders are too lazy, until it's too late

Mike

I found out my battery tender is dead.

So I may have a bad battery, but why would the turn signals flash until I tried to start it again?

They flashed for at least 15 minuets at one time.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:25 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 181 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin714
I found out my battery tender is dead.

So I may have a bad battery, but why would the turn signals flash until I tried to start it again?

They flashed for at least 15 minuets at one time.
The bike is entering security mode. It either isn't seeing your fob or because the battery is low enough in the bike it can't. I would be sure you have a good battery in the bike and fob and try again.

Quick Reply: Won't Start