Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rearended today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 05:38 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

About where on the Parkway did this happen? I commute from LBI to Somerset, and do my very best to stay off the Parkway north of Toms River. A commercial van rear ended you? Did you get a name/license/anything? You should get an attorney ASAP, if you're lucky you'll get a new bike, if you're REALLY lucky you'll get a new house...Oh, and glad you're OK!

Old 11-18-2016, 05:39 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper101
The guy was just as shaken up as I was. My first reaction was to go to his window and yank him out of the van. But I got there he had his head in his hands and started apologizing, tho at first didn't want to get out of the vehicle... He was VERY apologetic and couldn't do enough to help with the bike and anything I needed.
I will see the Dr probably tomorrow and have x rays taken just in case, but so far it all seems fine.
Bike will be put together ASAP at his or his insurance cost, all will be well.
Just glad to be alive and well. Again, this sort of stuff goes thru my head every now and then, specially in traffic. I always have my eyes on the rear view mirrors because of this very reason. As I said, it takes a split second...
I'm glad to hear you're gonna see the doc. You never know what might have happened or what may happen to you even though you state you're ok.

I know that Californians get ripped on for lane splitting and here's another example of where lane splitting can actually save your life. I had always thought lane splitting was BS, until I took one of the MSRP classes out here and argued with the instructor. He brought up the point of your exact scenario, being rear ended. I don't lane split when I ride, but I always put myself in a position to lane split when I'm stopped in traffic and I'm always watching my side mirrors just for that reason. Only once so far have I had to move up in between two stopped cars because I felt the driver behind me was approaching too fast.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:40 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

Sitting in traffic on the Garden State Parkway, guy on a commercial van must have been texting.
I'm glad you're OK!

And, he might not have been texting - he might have been plugging an address into a GPS. Or changing a radio station. Or eating a sandwich. LOTS of distractions out there.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:42 PM
jeeper101
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
About where on the Parkway did this happen? I commute from LBI to Somerset, and do my very best to stay off the Parkway north of Toms River. A commercial van rear ended you? Did you get a name/license/anything? You should get an attorney ASAP, if you're lucky you'll get a new bike, if you're REALLY lucky you'll get a new house...Oh, and glad you're OK!
Belleville toll plaza, up north. I got all his info and a statement form the guy, pictures of the DL, insurance card, and the accident.
As long as there is no damage in my body due to the accident and the bike is fixed correctly, I will be happy.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:48 PM
jeeper101
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
I'm glad you're OK!

And, he might not have been texting - he might have been plugging an address into a GPS. Or changing a radio station. Or eating a sandwich. LOTS of distractions out there.
I agree 100% I drive a lot every single day and get on the bike when I can.
I have had very close calls in the past, some my fault, some not.
Truth is, as much as I hate to admit it, it could happen to anyone.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:49 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Belleville toll plaza, up north. I got all his info and a statement form the guy, pictures of the DL, insurance card, and the accident.
As long as there is no damage in my body due to the accident and the bike is fixed correctly, I will be happy.
Ah yes, I know the area well, in the 70's I used to live in one of those garden apartments (Shelter Place? Shelter Gardens? whatever) just off to the right there. Anyway, glad you're OK, and things will turn out well.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:54 PM
muddmann
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Happy to hear you are doing okay.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:05 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Glad you escaped serious harm.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out with the bike. It's crazy how little damage it takes to total a bike these days.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:16 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I'm not surprised no one stopped. I hate the GPS. Worked on there for years. They have tunnel vision and you don't matter if you're in their way.

Glad your ok. Bike is fixable.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Glad you are ok. The parkway sucks, have had too many close calls myself. You are right about it happening to the best of us. Don't let it get you down.

Quick Reply: Got rearended today...