Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tallboy Seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:40 PM
mpallen
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tallboy Seat

I was at the dealership today and they had a tallboy I put on the bike to see how it felt. I moved me back a couple of inches and lowered me. Felt good but couple of things have me concerned. There is not as much padding as the original which worries me this may make a long ride uncomfortable. Those that have one, do you get sore after a while and if so did you add some king of gel seat or something to help and how did that work. Also it lowers you some. How does that effect the handling of the bike? If the tallboy did not work out for you, what are the other options?

Old 11-16-2016, 06:37 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 850 Posts

I've read the design of it can scrape up the fender? read that in 2 reviews over the past few months.
I tried it once at a dealer, not comfortable. There is a tall rider thread on here, do a search, lots of info there.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:17 PM
Hession
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the tall boy seat as well, not a bad seat- did not notice any handling issues. What did bother me is that it seems to push you forward as you ride so I was constantly re adjusting during stops. I wound up going with a c&c fastback that is set 2" back and low. I used that all the as to sturgis with no major issues but was usually getting ancy to get off by 3/4 tank.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:28 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I have one as well. Mine is the 2014 and up version but not the newest one that just came out last month. I don't get any numb butt with mine. I do however find myself somehow moving up all the time to the front of the seat. I don't know if I am sliding or what but I have to keep hopping back once in awhile. It is very hard to get a riders backrest to work with this seat. As it is, support for your lower back on this seat is nil because of how it is shaped. The rear of the riders seat slopes up at a very flat angle. The only riders backrest that fits "as is" would be the HD non adjustable one. Problem is as it comes it will push you forward a couple of inches thus taking away what you gained getting the tall boy. A person could try putting the backrest in a vise and bending the arms back and see if that works. The only other one I found that will work is the Kuryakin one but you have to modify the mount to move it back about 1.5". My wife found the back seat very comfortable. It could be so much better if they didn't slope the back of the riders portion like it is or provided a better backrest solution for the rider.
My last attempt was a Lepera Maverick with riders backrest. I liked it but it is too hard for my wife. Our last trip left her with some bruises so it is out of the question for us. I will keep it for a one up seat though.
I just picked up a stock take off Ultra seat that I plan on trying next. It moves me forward and up from my stock Road Glide seat. Forward alone would have been bad, but because it also moves me up the angle of my knees doesn't really change much at all. We will see how it does in the coming year but many people are very happy with this seat. It all depends on your build. Bigger riders find there jewels get crowded against the tank.
BTW I am just a tad over 6' and 185 lbs. 33" inseam.

Last edited by Super08; 11-17-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:55 AM
mpallen
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I wish the harley dealers had demo seats other than just the harley brand. I know this is just to much for them to keep them since so many brands and options.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Here is a great thread that may be of interest to you.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...with-pics.html

Old 11-17-2016, 11:38 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 652 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by mpallen
Thanks for the input. I wish the harley dealers had demo seats other than just the harley brand. I know this is just to much for them to keep them since so many brands and options.
I'm 6'3" and was on a quest to find a more ergonomically correct seat for myself. Now you have to be careful when comparing...height isn't the same for all...another person could be 6'3" with short legs & long in the torso. That being said, I tried the Tallboy. As much as it did move me back, I just did not find it comfortable. Tendency to slide forward as other have said.

I then demo'd the Harley Hammock. It does move me back at least an inch, maybe more. Maybe not quite as much as the Tallboy but it also sits me about an inch higher which creates more room & less bend at the knees. I knew this was the seat to buy. This seat is a winner & keeper!! Add to the fact that it's the Hammock (rider & passenger) so it's incredibly comfortable. Try a demo at the dealer. Not sure what year your bike is but make sure to try the "older" version 52000003A that fits back to 2009...apparently more room than the newer version. This one...http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...passenger-seat

Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Ducky 149
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Tallboy seat on my 2012 Limited. I am 6'0" and 255 ish. 32" inseam. I was bothered by the stock seat being so cupped. I wanted more flat real estate to spread out on. I have a custom made shearling seat cover on this seat. I am still healing up from an accident 3 years ago. A girl hit me head on with a Mazda and I was riding my 97 FLHTC. I have gone thru 19 surgeries. Broken pelvis and many other soft parts injuries. My goal with this bike was to make it as comfortable as th 97. I am about there. You mentioned the lack of dr backrest. I had the non adj one on the 97 but always thought that it pushed me too far forward. Did not use it much. What I have found helpful is bungeeing a folded up jacket between the tour pack the back of Dr's seat back. I also installed the passenger grab handles from the 97 to the 12. Parts says it won't work...I made it work. Looks great!! Easy Peary too. If you are interested in any pics please PM me and I can try to,get out and snap a few. Sorry this was so long winded