Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Road King Classic Fuel Injection Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Jay Sober Crew
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Road King Classic Fuel Injection Question

I have a 98 Road King with fuel injection. This is the first bike I have ever owned with fuel injection. I wanted to do the S&S 4 Step Performance upgrade. I've ran S&S Carbs on all my Harleys. It appears that the S&S Tuned Induction that I wanted to run doesn't work for my year and modell? Any suggestions?

Old 11-13-2016, 12:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

If you are referring to the S&S Tuned Induction kit, it is available for your bike with carb or EFI, according to their website. What mischief are you up to, changing to a carb, or staying with EFI? S&S also do a tunable EFI for your bike.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:23 PM
Jay Sober Crew
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I am going to stay with the EFI. For a minute I thought about converting to a carb. I have a gas tank, wiring harness and pretty much everything else I would need. I have heard a lot of good things about EFI harleys and I am impressed with mine. I want to do the S&S 4 step because it wont break the bank that way.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you staying with the stock Harley MM fuel injection, or were you going to use the S&S 52mm Single Bore Throttle body and VFI system? I had the same fuel injection system on my 2001 that you have on your '98. I replaced my stock MM fuel injection with the S&S system. It was expensive, but I'm glad that I did it.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:27 PM
barrybasinger
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Sober Crew
I have a 98 Road King with fuel injection. This is the first bike I have ever owned with fuel injection. I wanted to do the S&S 4 Step Performance upgrade. I've ran S&S Carbs on all my Harleys. It appears that the S&S Tuned Induction that I wanted to run doesn't work for my year and modell? Any suggestions?

Order from your dealer. The Harley service replacement ECM for your bike is made by S&S, and can use the S&S VFI software and tuning processes. It presents the mm TPS/RPM cells rather than the S&S ones, but other than that, it is the same for all intents and purposes. It can use the HD mm throttle body, or any other that is dual throat, without firmware updates.

Your dealer has maps for stock, stage I and II tunes that would have been available from the dealer, and they're really not too bad. If you run across a dealer that doesn't speak mm (and there are many out there), and can't supply you with one of the maps, contact me through this site and I'll send you one.

The software and the ECM are very flexible, and can handle about anything you'll do in the future, but this unit is kinda rare out there, and there are not many around who are familiar with it. (It is not exactly a unit to learn EFI on, and the fact that you have mapped a couple PCIIIs does not mean you can jump right onto one of these). Can be fussy about idle and warm-up settings, too.

If you were thinking auto-tune, note that auto-tune option for this unit is narrow-band only. This is fine for stock bikes and can be made to work with stage I bikes, but requires some added thought and creativity when going beyond that.

On the other hand, if you wanna stay with EFI, you don't have a lot of easy options...

The following users liked this post:
Buffalolake (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The part number for the Harley service replacement ECM that BB mentioned is 4000012A. This is the ECM that I use. I have the closed loop system on mine, but it is getting hard to find. If you have this ECM, you can download tunes for it on the S&S website for many configurations, including the S&S single bore throttle body.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:54 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

It may cost you as much as the bike is worth to go big budget FI. About 125$ for a used mik 42 or super E and a 60$ pingle f.i. to carb petcock kit and your in buisness.. ..throw the MM stuff away. I tried to donate my old system all I got was crickets...

Old 11-14-2016, 09:39 PM
barrybasinger
Novice

Originally Posted by brad75raiders
It may cost you as much as the bike is worth to go big budget FI. About 125$ for a used mik 42 or super E and a 60$ pingle f.i. to carb petcock kit and your in buisness.. ..throw the MM stuff away. I tried to donate my old system all I got was crickets...

Around $400 for the unit at your HD dealer. No need to change TB.

To do the conversion to carb from the Evo MM, in addition to the ($125 Mik 42??) carb and petcock, one should also include an ignition unit of some sort, a choke cable and mount, an AC and backing plate, a VOES and vacuum line, mod the wiring harness, etc., etc.

The EFI coil is different than the carb coil too, but you can probably get away with that until you forget... Same with the regulator, rotor and stator.

Then there's labor... A good bit for the carb swap---not so much for the ECM swap.

Not saying it's something I wouldn't do, just that it's not as cheap--or easy for most people--as swapping in the new ECM and installing one of the HD dealer maps intended for MM bikes with their standard Harley ECM flashes. This particular ECM swap is easier than most, it has been reliable in my experience, and the maps are actually correct for Evo Harleys up to about stage II.

I reckon that's about all I can add to the conversation, so I'll drop it.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:33 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the same rotor and stator and yes I forgot the 110$ coil kit from jireh. don't forget the 350$ dyno tune fee for f.i. he didn't say stock he said stage 4

Old 11-15-2016, 06:57 PM
barrybasinger
Novice

Originally Posted by brad75raiders
I have the same rotor and stator and yes I forgot the 110$ coil kit from jireh. don't forget the 350$ dyno tune fee for f.i. he didn't say stock he said stage 4
Said he was "thinking about S&S 4-step program", not already at "stage 4".

That phrase refers to a marketing slogan that indicates going to Stage 1, then Stage 2, the Stage 3, then Stage 4 using S&S parts. In other words, from stock to pipes and AC, then add cam, then add heads, then go wild with more cubes, whatever.

The VFI ECM will handle all of that--and there are tunes readily available for those who choose to use S&S parts. For those who go beyond stage 2 and use other vendor parts, yep, a dyno tune may be needed, or at least someone who is experienced and good at street tunes.

As to dyno tuning costs: Anyone who goes beyond the simplest, most common changes even on a carb bike should get it tuned properly, and the more you modify it, the closer you get to requiring a dyno tune. I think the cost of a dyno tune is not really an issue, since the need ultimately exists for either course if one goes far enough.

IMO, there is a lot more to properly tuning a carb, (a Mik, for instance) than simply installing the jet someone said you should have and adjusting the idle. For instance, what needle (and why)?. What taper does it have? What cutaway is on the slide? What air bleeds? Does the person recommending the parts know what they're doing--or are the simply repeating what they read in a forum? (Nahhh. No one would do that...)

There's not much more to be said on this topic that actually will help the OP and other readers. When these topics degenerate into discussions about "why don't ya just convert to carb", I usually drop out. That's not what the OP asked, and there's usually no more of educational value to the readers after that point. Just a couple guys defending their opinions. I'm not interested in that... (They don't call me "The Curmudgeon" for nothing).

As I said before, good luck to the OP, no matter which way he goes. Hope he was enlightened a little by this thread.

The following users liked this post:
xcbullet (11-15-2016)

Quick Reply: 1998 Road King Classic Fuel Injection Question