Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120r Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016 | 10:17 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by zz2h33
What year motor is yours? I read somewhere on this site the SE rocker issue has been resolved (same rockers used in the SE110). My 120ST is less than a year old, once the warranty is up I may take this recommendation if there's confirmation the rockers are still suspect.
I'm guessing you meant the SE lifter not rocker. My engine was installed in 2013, not sure what year it is.

Here is a quote from Fuel moto.
As several noted the ST is the emissions compliant version on the 120R engine. The only major difference is the ST motor uses SE-259E cams and includes some extras such as the throttle body, the 120R uses SE-266 cams. Both engines are very good platforms and are capable of making big power with just a few modifications. I would however recommend replacing the SE lifters before running either of these engines as we have seen several catastrophic failures, and we caught one here on the dyno just before before it expired. The valve springs are also a weak point.

Old 11-11-2016 | 06:15 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master

Does the 120R do well for long range touring, or would the 120ST be better?

Old 11-11-2016 | 07:15 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

i replaced my lifters and cams and valve spring in the first 122 miles. approximately 10k now, engine runs strong. good touring platform if you can resist turning the throttle

Old 11-11-2016 | 07:34 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master

I can't resist!

Old 11-11-2016 | 07:38 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by HDSAE60
Does the 120R do well for long range touring, or would the 120ST be better?
I have about 30k on mine, longest road trip was 6800 miles in three weeks. The 120st has a warranty, the 120R doesn't. I would guess from my grenaded cam chest that most dealers don't keep the 120 replacement parts in stock. I had to wait weeks and I still bought and delivered some aftermarket performance parts from tman.

If you buy either engine and plan to travel far make sure you have enough money saved so if you have something big go wrong you can afford a hotel for a while!

Old 11-11-2016 | 07:53 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master

Now that reply makes since!

Old 11-12-2016 | 03:09 PM
SaintPeter
|
1st Gear

I'm not sure if the lifters have been replaced but it sounds like that needs to be high on the priority list. Is that something someone like me with moderate mechanical aptitude can do? Here's a picture of the heavy breather on mine. As you can see, I had to rotate it down to clear the speaker in the lower fairing. Instead of replacing the whole breather I'm contemplating cutting the elbow down about an in to get the necessary clearance. Thoughts on that?

Attached Thumbnails 120r Question-image.jpeg  
Old 11-12-2016 | 03:20 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SaintPeter
I'm not sure if the lifters have been replaced but it sounds like that needs to be high on the priority list. Is that something someone like me with moderate mechanical aptitude can do? Here's a picture of the heavy breather on mine. As you can see, I had to rotate it down to clear the speaker in the lower fairing. Instead of replacing the whole breather I'm contemplating cutting the elbow down about an in to get the necessary clearance. Thoughts on that?
definately replace lifters if you do not know mileage. i am on a 10 k replacement schedule. so i consider them a wear item.

get a different air cleaner, sell thst one, move on, cutting it down will not be a good thing.

i run the extreme billet ventilator on mine, its grest

Old 11-12-2016 | 04:25 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

I would sell it as well, sadly there isn't a big market for 58mm intakes, I'm happy with my ventilator as well. I use the black cover. Even if you cut the elbow down and faced the intake the way it was intended wouldn't it block most of your speaker?

Old 11-12-2016 | 08:53 PM
SaintPeter
|
1st Gear

It would block the speaker to a certain extent and I'm not a big fan of cutting a piece. I think I'll go w the 58mm SE filter kit. I appreciate the input from all.

Quick Reply: 120r Question