Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide windshield help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Find somebody with a Madstad and take a test ride. Or, they have a money-back guarantee as long as no damage.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Follow up question, do you wear a helmet? No judgments just asking since when I tour and happen to be in a free state, I will take my helmet off. I find the wind across the top of my head can get annoying for long rides, I usual put a hat on, for me it makes me more comfortable and keeps the sun off.
Absolutely. I have a Nolan N44 that wear in 3/4 mode - (removeable chin guard), and I modified the shield (cut the vent off with a dremal) to cover just below my nose. Also have a Akoury half that I haven't tried yet. Maybe I should. The buffet I feel, seems to be at the top of my head, fwiw.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Find somebody with a Madstad and take a test ride. Or, they have a money-back guarantee as long as no damage.
Interesting shield. Personally don't like the look of the adjustable bracket system, but if it works, function over form I guess.

Do you find yourself adjusting it more then the initial? Just thinking once the right angle is found, a set of fixed brackets without all the adjustment doo-dads may be an improvement in appearance. probably easy enough to fab out of sheet aluminium. Just thinking out loud.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:21 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Interesting shield. Personally don't like the look of the adjustable bracket system, but if it works, function over form I guess.

Do you find yourself adjusting it more then the initial? Just thinking once the right angle is found, a set of fixed brackets without all the adjustment doo-dads may be an improvement in appearance. probably easy enough to fab out of sheet aluminium. Just thinking out loud.
(Just hit the back button by mistake and lost my entire reply. Dammit. Starting over... )

I'm pretty average in height, 5'9"-ish, and I have a riders backrest, which helps with keeping my posture consistent, and I have the 11" windshield, which is the shortest one. I assume if I had a taller one making various adjustments would make more difference.

I did a little fiddling with it when I first got it, and it works great, and I didn't notice a ton of difference as I changed the height and angle. Some, to be sure, but it worked pretty darn great all the time.

I still get a few bugs on my helmet visor, but it's really amazing how it throws the air stream up and over your head. I can move my hands around above my shoulders and head to feel the top of the air stream. It's like riding in a quiet bubble. The most common thing RG riders mention is that they have to turn down the volume on the radio because it's so much quieter.

Even among RG riders the look is definitely an acquired taste, most like the look, a lot tolerate it because it works so great. I'm in the "love it" camp: I honestly think it just matches the styling of the fairing so perfectly that it's like it was made specifically for the Road Glide. Which, now that I think about it, is true!

I'll post a few more pics to show it at different angles from my sig pic. Last pic is complete with 2,000 miles of bugs!

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide windshield help-20160203_132916.jpg   Road Glide windshield help-20160203_133032.jpg   Road Glide windshield help-20160427_140418.jpg  
Old 11-09-2016, 10:37 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

I would first try to establish if it is the shield, or if adding any additional deflectors will actually help. Can you tell if the wind is coming over the shield and hitting the top of your head, or could it be wind coming up from underneath? Feel around when you safely can to try and determine this. A lot of times, there is a vacuum affect that does pull wind up from underneath, but these new Rushmore Fairings really help alleviate that negative pressure.
And, you are looking over the shield still? Is it lower than mouth level?

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 11-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
I would first try to establish if it is the shield, or if adding any additional deflectors will actually help. Can you tell if the wind is coming over the shield and hitting the top of your head, or could it be wind coming up from underneath? Feel around when you safely can to try and determine this. A lot of times, there is a vacuum affect that does pull wind up from underneath, but these new Rushmore Fairings really help alleviate that negative pressure.
And, you are looking over the shield still? Is it lower than mouth level?
Hi. I am definitely looking over the shield by a good amount. Hard to estimate exactly, but I would say I am seeing a good 5" over the shield. Which based on loose estimates, that puts the shield about 2-3" too low if it's supposed to be at upper lip level? It's probably closer to the lower part of my chin.

I am going to try the deflectors first. At about $60 for both it's a cheap fix if it works. If not, they'll probably help in any case.

As I was riding along yesterday, i raised my hand in front of my face and felt the wind stream hitting the top of my head. I actually didn't think to feel for it coming up from the fairing.

Last edited by Mchad; 11-09-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:11 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 677 Posts

Hi. I am definitely looking over the shield by a good amount. Hard to estimate exactly, but I would say I am seeing a good 5" over the shield. Which based on loose estimates, that puts the shield about 2-3" too low if it's supposed to be at upper lip level? It's probably closer to the lower part of my chin.

I am going to try the deflectors first. At about $60 for both it's a cheap fix if it works. If not, they'll probably help in any case.

As I was riding along yesterday, i raised my hand in front of my face and felt the wind stream hitting the top of my head. I actually didn't think to feel for it coming up from the fairing.
I dare you to take the windshield off and go for a ride. What could be a better fix than free? If you don't like it, just put it back on or get another one

PS - if you do, don't remove the screws as they hold the fairing together

Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
I dare you to take the windshield off and go for a ride. What could be a better fix than free? If you don't like it, just put it back on or get another one

PS - if you do, don't remove the screws as they hold the fairing together
I can definitely do that. But it was much worse when the factory shield was on, which isn't much, so I'm not optimistic. But like you say, worth a shot.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:56 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 677 Posts

I can definitely do that. But it was much worse when the factory shield was on, which isn't much, so I'm not optimistic. But like you say, worth a shot.
Yes, but when I did my research I found lots of evidence that the issue is caused by turbulence resulting in the vacuum left behind from the windshield (even a small one). I also now remember that I tried a windshield on my road king before to get the wind off my chest, which it did, but that it did cause some helmet buffeting. Worse case scenario, you put the windshield back on

And the Road Glide looks surprisingly good without a windshield.

Here's my thread on this from just a few weeks ago:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-for-free.html

Old 11-09-2016, 03:25 PM
ryvpete
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm also sold on the Freedom Shield. I tried 14" Windvest, bought a LRS 13" Stingray, and then bought a 14" Freedom touring. Both the Windvest and Stingray were better than the stock one. However, the flip-up on the Windvest and the LRS had terrible distortion. Really bothered me when I had to look through it, even just looking at the yellow line in the road. The Freedom Shield has practically no distortion and gave me the wind management that made both me and my wife happy on the back. I'm 5'10" and I look over the top of the 14" with no problem. Totally happy with the Freedom Shield and the customer service is great. I have the 14" medium tint on my bike in my profile picture.

Quick Reply: Road Glide windshield help