Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide windshield help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 06:40 AM
DeputyDawg
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

F4 customs is a great one to take a look at. Have 1 that is 3"s taller than stock.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:41 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Ordered the tallest shield sold by Long Ride, and it seems too short. Looking over it I still have what looks to me to be about 4" and I get some pretty solid buffeting at speeds above 60mph. At 70 it's pretty annoying. My dyna with the small cafe failing is smooth as glass. I rode for about three hours yesterday and I found myself pretty distracted from my brain getting rattled. And we know distracted on a bike isn't a good thing.

The stock shield was worse, so it not going back to that. Seems strange since I'm not that tall, 6'2" with 32 inseam, which I guess means a longer torso above the seat maybe?

Clearview shields have a slightly taller shield, but I'm not convinced the extra 1/2" will do it. Also read about a HD deflector that goes down by the inside of the fork, but I can't seem to find it. Wondering if that will help too.

Love the bike, and would like to get it dialed in. And before anyone says "it's a motorcycle, you're going to feel wind" I'm perfectly fine in clear wind, it's the what feels like 4 times a second smacking me on the head buffet that's getting to me.

What are you tall folks using?

Thanks all.

I think this is what you need:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ector-kit#tabs

I have a 15 RGS with Long Ride shield, I think it's 11". I'm 6' tall and I don't get buffeting at any speed!

I get air yes, but no buffeting. All vents in the fairing are open.

There is a ton of air that comes around the gas tank on these bikes, street glides are the same. When riding just put your hand down beside the gas tank and you'll feel it.

These deflectors take a lot of that away, I really think they are well worth the $40 and in the Harley world that's a pretty damn cheap accessory.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Some suggestions to improve turbulence. I have all three, and I can smoke a cigar at 70 MPH

1) hard lowers 2) engine guard mounted wind deflectors 2) Madstad windshield.
Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
YEP,

WHEN I use to smoke ciggarates.

Hard Lowers, Fork Dog Bowl, Engine Guard, and a good Flip up shield works magic on my old 2009 Road Glide.

YB
Hmm. Are these what you mean?

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/179...wind-deflector

And: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-deflector-kit

Old 11-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a Freedom shield, 14" I think it is. My FLTRU came with the deflector tabs and I run with 3 vents open, unless I'm caught in the rain. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I think some buffeting is just a fact on a bike. The combo I use seems to work best for me. Take a look at the Freedom shields as well.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:05 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Follow up question, do you wear a helmet? No judgments just asking since when I tour and happen to be in a free state, I will take my helmet off. I find the wind across the top of my head can get annoying for long rides, I usual put a hat on, for me it makes me more comfortable and keeps the sun off.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:19 AM
SeeJeepCrawl
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
I have a Freedom shield, 14" I think it is. My FLTRU came with the deflector tabs and I run with 3 vents open, unless I'm caught in the rain. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I think some buffeting is just a fact on a bike. The combo I use seems to work best for me. Take a look at the Freedom shields as well.
I have the Freedom Shield on my UC and absolutely love it. Here is the link for their site. Great customer service as well.

They have WS's up to 18" tall. That should be more than enough. Good luck. The other nice thing about FreedomShields is that you can try it out and if you don't like it, send it back. No questions.

http://freedomshields.net/Windshield...ield_2015.html

Old 11-09-2016, 08:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

H-D also makes a similar product to that Kuryakyn one. My older Glide came with one stock.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:57 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the HD lower fork deflector on my 09 Streetglide, never thought it made a huge difference but it did help for sure. I didn't realize they had them for the Road Glide, I know same forks but when the 14 SGs came out HD didn't have one that fit them. There was something different about the forks.

I can't see how adding that could do anything but help, and the other deflectors are a definite must!

Old 11-09-2016, 09:23 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

I had horrible buffeting with the stock tiny windshield (I wear a FF helmet and usually have the shield open). I tried the $40 deflectors and didn't notice much difference. After some research, I thought the vacuum behind the small shield might be the culprit. Also, on my CBR1000RR my head is well above the screen and smooth at all speeds.

So, I simply removed the windshield on the Road Glide. Rides much smoother and much cheaper than buying another windshield. I might buy the tallest look through for long trips though.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:35 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 540 Posts

YES!!!

As like GRBrown, my 2009 CVO Roadie came stock with the Dog Bowl.

AGAIN, YOU NEED ALL 3 PARTS for it to work right!!!

I have ridden with & without helmets and have had NO problems.

YB

Quick Reply: Road Glide windshield help