Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Handlebar Swap under $260.00

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,275 Likes on 7,399 Posts
Default DIY Handlebar Swap under $260.00

I am happy to say that I have successfully completed my handlebar swap on our 2016 Limited.

It was a hard decision between Yaffe 10 inch Monkey Bars and Wild One WO578.

The final decision was to go with Wild Ones because I felt they match the bike better and would be much easier getting the wires inside.

I read a lot of what was posted on the forum and want to thank all of you for the valuable information. Of course a couple of You Tube videos helped give me the confidence to tackle this project.

I took my time and completed this our two evenings with a total of 6-1/2 hours time.

The greatest struggle was getting the wires inside. I went about it wrong the first time and spent more time at this than I would have to if I did them again.

I bought everything on eBay with FREE shipping and no sales tax!

WO578 $209.92
Polyurethane Bushings $13.99
Name + 12 inch wire extension $35.95

The clutch line is tight. I thought I would never find enough slack to connect the left heated grip. I did have to take my dremal and notch the switch cover to make room for the clutch cable between it and the handlebar.

I got on the bike first thing this morning, 44 degrees and sunny and rode to the polls to Vote for my favorite conservative! First impressions are GREAT.

I will say that I had no idea how much those soft spongy rubber Bushings isolated the feel of the road. With the polyurethane Bushings you feel a lot more of the bike and the road. Not bad just eye opening.

My posture is much better and that is what I wanted.

Have a blessed day!

Attached Thumbnails DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3504.jpg   DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3502.jpg   DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3501.jpg   DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3505.jpg   DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3507.jpg  

DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3506.jpg  
Old 11-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 558 Posts

Looks great , do you think you could have done it with out the wire extensions ?

Dave

Old 11-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Looks great , do you think you could have done it with out the wire extensions ?

Dave
No I have read that some have but I see no way. I started not to order the extensions but decided it would be better to have them on hand then not. Glad I did. I wish I had taken pictures of the bars with the wires through them before installing. Not much more than three inches sticking out. Also keep in mind that the Wild Ones are wider than many other bars.

The following users liked this post:
Big Dave (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 10:59 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Good deal. I agree the wrist angle on the stock bars is painful. I went with 10" Yaffes on both my '15GSG and the new scoot. Running the wires wasn't any problem at all, maybe 10 min. I didnt use the extension on the '15, just took some time to cut some wire ties and rerouted. The '17 I did use the 6 or 8" extensions. Simple plug and play.

Are you the same DH that had a 36 Outlaw?

Old 11-05-2016, 06:46 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

I just installed the same WO578 bars this week. NAMZ extensions and barely enough clutch line as well. 250 miles later, I can already tell that they are keepers- very comfortable! OP, you spent less than I did

Last edited by rv7garage; 11-05-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:02 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a question. I just talked to Wild 1 the other day. I ordered the 579's because I was mostly interested in increasing the pullback. And the 579's have the most pullback of any of their bars. I like to ride a bit leaned back and the 579's are designed to be zero to one inch taller than stock and 3 inches further back. The gentleman told me I will need to cut off 3/8" on the left bar if I'm installing HD heated grips. Otherwise there will be a bit of a gap on the left side. I can see in the pics what looks like a small gap on the left side of yours. I'm not sure though as it's kind of hard to see. Did you cut off 3/8" like they say? And do you have a small gap?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by The Pawnbroker; 11-05-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:03 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

p.s. I did order Namz wire extensions as Wild 1 recommended.

The following users liked this post:
Katdan (01-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2016, 07:10 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
I have a question. I just talked to Wild 1 the other day. I ordered the 579's because I was mostly interested in increasing the pullback. And the 579's have the most pullback of any of their bars. I like to ride a bit leaned back and the 579's are designed to be zero to one inch taller than stock and 3 inches further back. The gentleman told me I will need to cut off 3/8" on the left bar if I'm installing HD heated grips. Otherwise there will be a bit of a gap on the left side. I can see in the pics what looks like a small gap on the left side of yours. I'm not sure though as it's kind of hard to see. Did you cut off 3/8" like they say? And do you have a small gap?
Thanks a lot.
Well thanks you just answered my question. Wish I had heard that prior to the installation!!! I kept thinking I wasn't getting the grip on all the way. The reason I thought that is the inside of the bars was very rough. I had problems getting the grip to even start because of the piece inside the grip that goes inside the bar. I actually sanded the inside of the bars as best as possible. When I finished I thought I should have sanded it deeper!!! Well I will live with the gap now. LOL

Yeah better cut off the end.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:15 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

If you call them, they will give you all kinds of info. Very helpful. Here's the link that tells you about the heated grips and one that has pics of their new bagger bars the 579's;

http://wild1inc.com/FAQ.html

http://wild1inc.com/TECH_TOUR.html

http://wild1inc.com/579Bbb.html

I asked them why they called them "Bagger Low" because I didn't want anything lower than stock. He told me to differentiate them from all their other bars which are "Apes". But they aren't lower than stock. Just 3 inches closer to the rider.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:10 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Can you use these with stock Street Glide mirrors ?

Quick Reply: DIY Handlebar Swap under $260.00