Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Handlebar Swap under $260.00

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:07 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,275 Likes on 7,399 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Loved the project. Bars feel great but going to tilt them back just a tad in a couple days. And my brother hasn't sat on mine but just from the pics of mine I'm betting I'll be doing his bike. Once again, thanks for your help and info on this
That is funny my brother wants to do it on is 15 Limited now!!!

Like you I pulled mine back just a little. I had them close to the fairing and liked it but it was a reach moving the bike around at full lock left or right. Just a little makes a big difference. I still have plenty of clearance near the tank even at full lock.

Take care.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:27 PM
jprince67
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons learned

I too just did this swap. I went with 10" mitered CHROME 10" BAGGER APE HANGERS 1-1/4 BARS HANDLEBARS HARLEY TOURING FLHX from Ebay.

I also used the Namz 12" extensions.

My lessons learned. If you get the mitered bars, do not use the Namz extension, they will not pass through the mitered turn. What I did, since they are only 10" bars, I removed the extensions, ran the stock wires through, then added the extensions. Or you could remove the terminals, and twist the wires together and solder them together, that would pass through no problem.

My other problem was I inadvertently wired the right side molex connection backwards somehow. Yup, all 12 were in the wrong slots. Take pictures, mark the connectors some how, and double check when you plug the harness back together. The wires should match colors on both male / female plugs.

Any ways, thanks for the original post and others advice. Mine is done, and I was also able to reuse the Brake, throttle and clutch cables. Just had to re route the throttle and clutch. I also did not get any special tools for this. I simply used a flat screw driver for the ignition tool. Also if you wanted to just keep the wires on the out side of the bars, then stock length would still reach.

Last edited by jprince67; 02-11-2017 at 07:34 PM.