Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Handlebar Swap under $260.00

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:12 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 217 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Pictures for reference

Dang Cosmic, you did a bang up job on your reply. Did as you mentioned. Have been googling all over and reading all I can find and have already watched that vid you attached. Going to install the wo578 just as you have. Seems like theyre the bars everyone likes. Looks like a pretty neat project and no need to fret about taking too much time getting this done this time of year. Thanks again for passing along all this great info. Dan

Old 01-07-2017, 07:17 PM
tonymontanna1983
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I am happy to say that I have successfully completed my handlebar swap on our 2016 Limited.

It was a hard decision between Yaffe 10 inch Monkey Bars and Wild One WO578.

The final decision was to go with Wild Ones because I felt they match the bike better and would be much easier getting the wires inside.

I read a lot of what was posted on the forum and want to thank all of you for the valuable information. Of course a couple of You Tube videos helped give me the confidence to tackle this project.

I took my time and completed this our two evenings with a total of 6-1/2 hours time.

The greatest struggle was getting the wires inside. I went about it wrong the first time and spent more time at this than I would have to if I did them again.

I bought everything on eBay with FREE shipping and no sales tax!

WO578 $209.92
Polyurethane Bushings $13.99
Name + 12 inch wire extension $35.95

The clutch line is tight. I thought I would never find enough slack to connect the left heated grip. I did have to take my dremal and notch the switch cover to make room for the clutch cable between it and the handlebar.

I got on the bike first thing this morning, 44 degrees and sunny and rode to the polls to Vote for my favorite conservative! First impressions are GREAT.

I will say that I had no idea how much those soft spongy rubber Bushings isolated the feel of the road. With the polyurethane Bushings you feel a lot more of the bike and the road. Not bad just eye opening.

My posture is much better and that is what I wanted.

Have a blessed day!

I spy a Dentside

Old 01-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Hinzy
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am happy to say that I have successfully completed my handlebar swap on our 2016 Limited.

It was a hard decision between Yaffe 10 inch Monkey Bars and Wild One WO578.

The final decision was to go with Wild Ones because I felt they match the bike better and would be much easier getting the wires inside.

I read a lot of what was posted on the forum and want to thank all of you for the valuable information. Of course a couple of You Tube videos helped give me the confidence to tackle this project.

I took my time and completed this our two evenings with a total of 6-1/2 hours time.

The greatest struggle was getting the wires inside. I went about it wrong the first time and spent more time at this than I would have to if I did them again.

I bought everything on eBay with FREE shipping and no sales tax!

WO578 $209.92
Polyurethane Bushings $13.99
Name + 12 inch wire extension $35.95

The clutch line is tight. I thought I would never find enough slack to connect the left heated grip. I did have to take my dremal and notch the switch cover to make room for the clutch cable between it and the handlebar.

I got on the bike first thing this morning, 44 degrees and sunny and rode to the polls to Vote for my favorite conservative! First impressions are GREAT.

I will say that I had no idea how much those soft spongy rubber Bushings isolated the feel of the road. With the polyurethane Bushings you feel a lot more of the bike and the road. Not bad just eye opening.

My posture is much better and that is what I wanted.

Have a blessed day!
Cosmic any chance you have a part number for the Namz extensions,
I've seen too much conflicting info on different sites as to what part number works
on a 14 Ultra Limited
Thx

Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,275 Likes on 7,399 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinzy
I've seen too much conflicting info on different sites as to what part number works
on a 14 Ultra Limited
Thx
Well I can no longer access that history on eBay. My email description lists it as:

Namz +12" Handlebar Wiring Extension Harness on Harley Softail, Dyna, XL, Touring.

Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
Hinzy (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 PM
Hinzy
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes indeed
Thanks

Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

on a 14 Ultra Limited
Thx

Thanks to Cosmics help I just did my 2017 with the 10'' bars three weeks ago. I called Namz to order the extensions and they insisted I needed none The connectors that are part of the bike harness are clipped onto a plastic plate. These connectors will unclip from the plate allowing them to be directed towards the handlebar wires and the will clip together. Now it would make it a bit easier if you didn't mind spending the extra $90 or so on extensions but that's your choice. If you want to buy them, just call Namz and let them know your bike model and they will tell you what you need, that's after they tell you they're aren't needed. ha

Nice project, took me almost 6 hours.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:36 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

I bought the extensions from my HD dealer. 8" ext, right at $20 I believe. Plug and play. For that low price, it wasn't worth the hassle to cut the wire ties and reroute the wiring to make them work w/o any extensions

Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,275 Likes on 7,399 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Thanks to Cosmics help I just did my 2017 with the 10'' bars three weeks ago. I called Namz to order the extensions and they insisted I needed none The connectors that are part of the bike harness are clipped onto a plastic plate. These connectors will unclip from the plate allowing them to be directed towards the handlebar wires and the will clip together. Now it would make it a bit easier if you didn't mind spending the extra $90 or so on extensions but that's your choice. If you want to buy them, just call Namz and let them know your bike model and they will tell you what you need, that's after they tell you they're aren't needed. ha

Nice project, took me almost 6 hours.
I have been aiming to send you a PM and ask how it went. Thanks for the update. Hope you are as happy with them as I am.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:29 PM
ricktherocket
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

on a 14 Ultra Limited
Thx

I installed 578's on by buddys 14 Limted and didn't need anything but the bars, everything fit just fine.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:50 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

I have been aiming to send you a PM and ask how it went. Thanks for the update. Hope you are as happy with them as I am.

Loved the project. Bars feel great but going to tilt them back just a tad in a couple days. And my brother hasn't sat on mine but just from the pics of mine I'm betting I'll be doing his bike. Once again, thanks for your help and info on this

Quick Reply: DIY Handlebar Swap under $260.00