Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Handlebar Swap under $260.00

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You will enjoy the extra width, helps relieve pressure in the shoulders , shoulder blades and upper back.

the extra width also improves steering leverage making it much easier to steer during low speed handling. It's like adding power steering.

Enjoy

Old 11-06-2016, 07:37 PM
jeeper101
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

I wish I could say the same. I picked the same set of bars used (like new) for $50, but neither the wires or the brake line reached. I installed them yesterday but ended up leaving the bike apart. Unfortunately I have and old bike (sig bike) and available kits are limited. Ended up ordering a kit today from burly to the tune of $350 for braided lines and cables plus extensions. I could have gotten away with spending $298 ordering different brands (separate) but non matching stainless color and delivery time was what kept me from doing that.

Your bike looks awesome!

Old 11-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,275 Likes on 7,399 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper101
I wish I could say the same. I picked the same set of bars used (like new) for $50, but neither the wires or the brake line reached. I installed them yesterday but ended up leaving the bike apart. Unfortunately I have and old bike (sig bike) and available kits are limited. Ended up ordering a kit today from burly to the tune of $350 for braided lines and cables plus extensions. I could have gotten away with spending $298 ordering different brands (separate) but non matching stainless color and delivery time was what kept me from doing that.

Your bike looks awesome!
I feel your pain. I was going to change them on my 2010 and it was just too much money$$$. Wish I had done it now. You will be HAPPY when you are done.

Good luck.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:52 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
I can see in the pics what looks like a small gap on the left side of yours. I'm not sure though as it's kind of hard to see. Did you cut off 3/8" like they say? And do you have a small gap?
Thanks a lot.
Okay Pawnbroker this has bugged me every time I rode. So the wife had to work today and I was off and decided to give myself a Christmas present. I fixed the dreaded GAP!!!!!!

Also got the throttle grip adjusted correctly. It had a little too much side to side play. While at it I pulled the bars back toward me about a 1/4 inch.

I will sleep good tonight! Looking toward our ride on Christmas Day.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3518.jpg   DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3517.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Hinzy
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Following handlebar threads doing mine in spring,thanks to all who have shared their experience.
Cosmic Razorback who makes those covers on your switch hardware

Old 12-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hinzy
Following handlebar threads doing mine in spring,thanks to all who have shared their experience.
Cosmic Razorback who makes those covers on your switch hardware
Hinzy,

My wife surprised me with those. She found them on eBay and paid like $19.00 total for all four. They come with socket head cap screws (Allen head) and the caps themselves are actually plastic. They push right on over the head of the bolts. It's a very tight fit and they stay on without issues. At first I was not sure I would like them but have received a lot of compliments. They do look good. Do a search on eBay.

Happy New Year

Old 12-30-2016, 08:38 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 217 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Okay Pawnbroker this has bugged me every time I rode. So the wife had to work today and I was off and decided to give myself a Christmas present. I fixed the dreaded GAP!!!!!!

Also got the throttle grip adjusted correctly. It had a little too much side to side play. While at it I pulled the bars back toward me about a 1/4 inch.

I will sleep good tonight! Looking toward our ride on Christmas Day.

All of the sudden I'm really interested in doing just as you have done. You are referring to a ''gap'' from not trimming off 3/8'' from the left bar end. What gap are you talking about. I couldn't pick this up from the pic. Also, I have a 2017 CVO Limited. Any reason you can think off hand that this wouldn't work on my bike? Thanks

Old 12-31-2016, 07:02 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cdestuck
All of the sudden I'm really interested in doing just as you have done. You are referring to a ''gap'' from not trimming off 3/8'' from the left bar end. What gap are you talking about. I couldn't pick this up from the pic. Also, I have a 2017 CVO Limited. Any reason you can think off hand that this wouldn't work on my bike? Thanks
Zoom in on these pictures. The first is before I cut the extra length off the left side of the bar. There is a gap between the step down on bar diameter and the clutch bracket. The second picture shows the bracket all the way over to the larger bar diameter so you don't see the step down.

Easy to do and one of the best upgrades you can do. Control and comfort are both greatly improved.

One thing I had to learn the hard way is you have to trim the ignition switch cover on each end for clearance on the larger diameter bars and I also had to trim the bottom of the inner fairing. I simply used a dremel tool with a small sanding wheel. It was very easy just doing a little at a time until it was perfect.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3519.jpg   DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3517.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
cdestuck (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 07:10 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Different angles of the finished product.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3521.jpg   DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3524.jpg   DIY Handlebar Swap under 0.00-img_3525.jpg  
Old 12-31-2016, 11:24 AM
Hinzy
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cosmic how tall are you and how would you rate the comfort of the WO578's
I am still on the fence about height and brand of bars.
A tech question? Were the 12 inch namz's extension the right length and would the CVO
throttle grip sensor really be necessary? And how would you rate the difficulty of threading
the wires in the Wild 1's
Thx

Quick Reply: DIY Handlebar Swap under $260.00