Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move O2 Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:12 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Move O2 Sensors?

Has anyone moved their o2 sensors up near exhaust ports on stock decat head pipes with any suggestions if benifited anything? I have a new FP3 and it was said to be aware of cross talk causing problems with auto tune. I have a spare head pipe to do so any thoughts?

Old 11-01-2016, 12:32 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the older o2 sensors are located nearer the heads as they need the heat to activate- they don;t work below about 600ºF.

the newer models ( 2010+) use a heated o2 sensor- which came in with the cat in the header for all versions
( yes, some 2009 models had cats, but they were higher up the header tube).

o2 sensors supply voltage in realtime to the ecm--- if you are running at 3000 rpms, the ecm is pulling data 750 times a minute from each of the o2 sensors and altering fuel delivery based on the voltage.

poor data may result from a poorly designed exhaust system which allows the pulses of exhaust gasses to moving back and forth within the exhaust tract, and/or exhaust gasses to eddy or even reverse course
( this can happen with a perf core baffle with the packing removed- or any exhaust tract in which the velocity drops, like if a 2" passage suddenly becomes 3" or larger)

so I would guess that if you have a well designed exhaust system which good controlled flow you would be running well- and moving the sensors wouldn;t do much

if your exhaust is a random put together with poor flow characteristics you may get an improvement moving the o2 sensors- It is possible that the heat produced closer to the exhaust will work against them.
but you'd likely get an even better result with a designed exhaust system with calculated flow and predictable results.

if you have smooth predictable motor operation at all throttle positions and transitions, I'd say you are doing fine

Mike

Old 11-01-2016, 01:37 PM
GregGillette
Road Master

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the older o2 sensors are located nearer the heads as they need the heat to activate- they don;t work below about 600ºF.

the newer models ( 2010+) use a heated o2 sensor- which came in with the cat in the header for all versions
( yes, some 2009 models had cats, but they were higher up the header tube).

o2 sensors supply voltage in realtime to the ecm--- if you are running at 3000 rpms, the ecm is pulling data 750 times a minute from each of the o2 sensors and altering fuel delivery based on the voltage.

poor data may result from a poorly designed exhaust system which allows the pulses of exhaust gasses to moving back and forth within the exhaust tract, and/or exhaust gasses to eddy or even reverse course
( this can happen with a perf core baffle with the packing removed- or any exhaust tract in which the velocity drops, like if a 2" passage suddenly becomes 3" or larger)

so I would guess that if you have a well designed exhaust system which good controlled flow you would be running well- and moving the sensors wouldn;t do much

if your exhaust is a random put together with poor flow characteristics you may get an improvement moving the o2 sensors- It is possible that the heat produced closer to the exhaust will work against them.
but you'd likely get an even better result with a designed exhaust system with calculated flow and predictable results.

if you have smooth predictable motor operation at all throttle positions and transitions, I'd say you are doing fine

Mike
Ok so thats a maybe...

I may just try an auto tune after running my canned map for some time to see how it works out. Im in play mode with a new toy.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

yes, it's maybe- it is all inter-related and tuning is being aware of how a change in exhaust flow can affect injector pulse width...and all that other stuff.

If you do this experiment, it would be neat to see your results

mike

Old 11-01-2016, 06:42 PM
GregGillette
Road Master

Well the FP3 with canned map of Twin Slash Rounds w Power Duals (recommended by V&H to be similar to Rush Big Louies with Decat header) is running nice so I may not change much at this time. It has solved my pinging on inclines and occasional decel pops. I will likely run auto tunes at some point but likely not til spring when can ring it out good. Maybe a winter project to prep another pipe and add some bungs farther up the pipe but not too close to the exhaust ports.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:02 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

just be aware that if you change the location of the o2 sensors, the existing cabling may not be long enough to reach. and with the new canbus systems, not sure how it would react if you just splice some wire in there.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:55 AM
DRREPLA
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2021 sport glide had a 4 o2 sensor...what r you thinking about this?

Old 06-22-2021, 05:02 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by DRREPLA
my 2021 sport glide had a 4 o2 sensor...what r you thinking about this?
I think you are commenting on a 5 year old thread & your softail is a more complicated control system.