Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I find my first death wobble today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:36 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,541 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Heard a theory on this, in a turn the inside shock is compressing the air out over to the outside shock. I know I went to individual shocks, coil spring, and a lot of that went away. Congrats on the "Shark" and how is your Low running?
My 2016 special doesn't have air shocks. It has hand adjustable preload shocks. The Low Rider is great. Though I've been putting a few more miles on the RG lately. Looks like rain starts after around 2pm today, so with the buy week this week, I'll be out a few hours this morning on the LRS.

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
By the way, you know Valhalla is to the Vikings don't you?
Indeed I do. I found it pretty ironic that I could very well have ended up there had this been worse!

Old 10-30-2016, 07:09 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

With bar wobble, lean forward and down. Works like a charm. I had a bike years ago that would do it from time to time, I just learned to deal with it and ride on. Same bike had the shifter shaft splines to strip out on it, so I clamped a big pair of vice grips on it to shift with. Rode it that way for about a year before I got around to fixing it.
Good luck with the rear wobble, until you get it remedied, you might have to just find ways to avoid or deal with it. A little like some women, ya know?

Old 10-30-2016, 07:50 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I broke 500 miles today, and at mile 508 I decided to open her up a little. I was on RT 22 around the Kensico reservoir in Valhalla, NY. I was on a left sweeper at about 65-70mph, leaned over pretty good. There was a dip in the road and my left board touched at the bottom of th dip. As I came out of it, the *** end started wobbling. I was able to let off the throttle and apply very gentle brakes and it smoothed out.
You unloaded the rear suspension when you came up from the dip, touching the floor board didn't help either. The rear shock did not have enough travel to keep your rear tire planted. There is nothing wrong with your bike, it's just not designed to do dirt bike maneuvers.
Your going to need a full riding suit, boots, gloves and full face helmet before you try that again.

The following users liked this post:
RiverB (10-31-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 08:08 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

Some just can't imagine that the Moco would build bikes with a flawed design for so long. The fact is the motor, trans and swing arm is still held be rubber that allows it to all move side to side, that's isolaters that are stout but can move. I've it felt on a new bike 2016 that was built ,. When I got on it the shift was there, so no the real problem has not been addressed, just beefed up other stuff to help. If you ask Moco or some others on here there was never a design flaw. Had it happen twice on my bike but not anymore with a brace.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:44 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Curious what the speed limit was? You say you were doing 65-70 in a big sweeper.

There's a big sweeping turn with a small bump in it on my way home from work that if I am doing the speed limit, nothing. But if I am speeding, it will do it on both my 08 and my 13 with the new frame. It's happened to me so much I don't even pay attention to it anymore. It is worse on the 08 but still there on the 13.

My personal theory is that the people that have accidents were speeding, inexperienced, and freaked out when the rear end moved around a little.

Now that you have felt it, know what causes it, know when to anticipate the possibility, you'll be better prepared to handle it when it happens and just ride through it. Yes it feels very weird when it happens but it's not going to bring you down unless you panic and over react. The easiest and cheapest fix is just to slow down a little and go the speed limit in the big high speed sweepers.

I know we all want our bikes to handle the best they can and push them to the edge but we bought touring bikes that were designed to be comfy on long hauls down the interstate packed with gear. As much as we would like them to ride like one, they are not crotch rockets.

The following users liked this post:
RiverB (10-31-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 08:52 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Was it like this?

Forum member Grbrown wrote a good article a couple of years ago on the how and why the wobble occurs. And no, the new frames didn't help much...primarily because the inherent problem resides in the way the rear of the motor is attached (i.e. not attached ) to the frame. This is why the True Track stabilizer, when mounted properly under the bike, helps to minimize if not cure the problem.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:10 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Hate Work
grbrown posting in 3, 2, 1.......
Oh, and yeah. A link of your choice based on your budget and don't forget to keep your tire air pressure up. It truly helps in the handling dept.
Sorry chaps, been away for a biking weekend, just got back! I did indeed write a piece explaining the source of the wobble here, which is worth reading IMHO. I have subsequently read a comment by another member who watched a rider hit a big pothole, his shocks compressed fully, the bike shot up in the air and he lost control when his bike came back to Earth. That was caused almost entirely by crap shocks. So your plan to buy Ohlins (I have them as well) is a very good one, they should dramatically improve control of your rear end when hitting a dip or pothole. Add a True-Track kit and you should find your bike is worlds better.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:45 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,264 Likes on 7,397 Posts

I doubt there is anything wrong with the bike. Just that perfect storm of circumstances and maybe a little too much speed. Glad you made it home safely.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:15 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
Curious what the speed limit was? You say you were doing 65-70 in a big sweeper.

There's a big sweeping turn with a small bump in it on my way home from work that if I am doing the speed limit, nothing. But if I am speeding, it will do it on both my 08 and my 13 with the new frame. It's happened to me so much I don't even pay attention to it anymore. It is worse on the 08 but still there on the 13.

My personal theory is that the people that have accidents were speeding, inexperienced, and freaked out when the rear end moved around a little.

Now that you have felt it, know what causes it, know when to anticipate the possibility, you'll be better prepared to handle it when it happens and just ride through it. Yes it feels very weird when it happens but it's not going to bring you down unless you panic and over react. The easiest and cheapest fix is just to slow down a little and go the speed limit in the big high speed sweepers.

I know we all want our bikes to handle the best they can and push them to the edge but we bought touring bikes that were designed to be comfy on long hauls down the interstate packed with gear. As much as we would like them to ride like one, they are not crotch rockets.
Yep, when exploring the limits on a motorcycle, rider skill and experience becomes important, not saying anything negative about you or your skill level just that you probably learned something that day... from your description I would think that there is nothing wrong with your bike but as others have posted I would check the tire pressure and the fall away just to be sure...
high speed sweepers put incredible loading on the suspension and the frame of the motorcycle, sounds like that dip that cause the floorboard to scrape upset the loading...
glad you got out of it okay!

Old 10-30-2016, 03:27 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
You unloaded the rear suspension when you came up from the dip, touching the floor board didn't help either. The rear shock did not have enough travel to keep your rear tire planted. There is nothing wrong with your bike, it's just not designed to do dirt bike maneuvers.
Your going to need a full riding suit, boots, gloves and full face helmet before you try that again.
My thoughts exactly.

Quick Reply: Did I find my first death wobble today?