Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police seat on RKC question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:23 AM
jeeper101
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Police seat on RKC question.

I am going to on be swapping my original 2up seat for a new take off police seat with air ride that I purchased from someone on fleaBay.
I won't install the reservoir tank rack because I don't like the looks of it, as I am trying to achieve more of a classic look bike with a solo seat and the option of detachable passenger seat sissy bar and luggage rack.
Any ol'how, I have been reading on reservoir tank relocation but some seem cumbersome and the gauge/valve location Is less than desirable to me. I replace my original headset pipes with S&S power duals, which left somewhat of a gap between the frame and the rear cylinder. I was thinking this space would be perfect to relocate the reservoir to and possibly, once installed and tested, have my local shop chrome plate the tank and bracket.

Has anyone on here relocate de the air tank there by any chance? Any thoughts as to why this wouldn't be a good idea?
I am thinking the tank should be far enough from the exhaust to be affected by the heat. The pic below shows the proposed location. I think I should be able to reuse the stud that used to hold the crossover pipe

Last edited by jeeper101; 10-29-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Autocorrect woes
Old 10-29-2016, 01:57 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

My thoughts are ditch the air bladder and tank and use a Kong dog toy for a spring. Seems everyone who has done it loves it.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:16 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

there are a few of us who have the air tank mounted inboard of the rt saddlebag.

there are threads on these, with pics.

incl. mine- which has my fill valve at the front of the rt saddlebag support...no guage, i use my shock pump...which has a gauge on it

the tank is bolted on, I had to drill one hole and slightly bend the bracket on it...an air line runs to a Y fitting and the fill valve down by the front of teh saddlebag support...from there a line runs up behind the side cover and to the bladder.

my fill valve and lines are all repurposed from my air shocks which I replaced with hand adjustables- cost= $0

alot of riders do like the kong...it also allows you to quickly swap to a 2 up or other seat

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-29-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:10 PM
jeeper101
Tourer

Originally Posted by CJeep
My thoughts are ditch the air bladder and tank and use a Kong dog toy for a spring. Seems everyone who has done it loves it.
Hmm, funny I just came back from tractor supply and was looking at one. I don't think that on my bike will make me happy. I have read mixed comments on the pneumatic system. The one I purchased is basically NOS with no dry rot on the bladder. I am keeping my air shocks too so I don't mind it. If it gets to the point where it gets problematic, I will swap the bladder of the coil shock.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:12 PM
jeeper101
Tourer

Originally Posted by mkguitar
there are a few of us who have the air tank mounted inboard of the rt saddlebag.

there are threads on these, with pics.

incl. mine- which has my fill valve at the front of the rt saddlebag support...no guage, i use my shock pump...which has a gauge on it

the tank is bolted on, I had to drill one hole and slightly bend the bracket on it...an air line runs to a Y fitting and the fill valve down by the front of teh saddlebag support...from there a line runs up behind the side cover and to the bladder.

my fill valve and lines are all repurposed from my air shocks which I replaced with hand adjustables- cost= $0

alot of riders do like the kong...it also allows you to quickly swap to a 2 up or other seat

mike
Thanks for the pic Mike, I will definitely consider this

Old 10-30-2016, 12:15 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

my V.1 was to mount the air tank in the saddlebag- with velcro.( I have light kits in my saddlbags so slipped the tubing through the hole with the wiring)

i wanted to decide IF I wanted air, kong or shock.
I liked the air and another rider had posted about mounting the air tank as I did.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-30-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:18 AM
Mikey_P
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put mine under the right side cover. There is a box there for something that I don't have and it fit great.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:01 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

I have a solo on my 03 RKC and I like it. I tried the Kong and it was simple and worked although on a black bike the big red dog chew looked stupid. I opted to stay with the air tank and bladder. I don't like the idea of mickey mouseing anything on my king although it does work. Your question as to where the location of the airtank should be. I would NOT where you are thinking. There is an incredible amount of heat there and air when heated expands. Not enough to blow the tank or lines but if you want to maintain a constant pressure in the tank, the expansion due to heat will not allow that. I set mine at 33 psi in the tank and it stays there. Good idea though. Just my thoughts.

randy

Old 10-30-2016, 01:42 PM
Moegy
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Police Solo

The newer police RKs's have a shock and spring, not the air bladder. Fits in the same area under your seat as the air bladder. Only have to take out the two screws on the stud top of air bladder, transfer to spring shock, bolt in same holes under seat as air bladder, done. No air lines, no reservoir. The spring is adjustable for rider weight.
The item is expensive, but check with your dealer. Many dealers take off the police seat and replace with regular dual seat. They then trash or sell the no longer needed police solo spring shock. Got mine at a good price. Love the police solo on my very bad back. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:48 PM
jeeper101
Tourer

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
I have a solo on my 03 RKC and I like it. I tried the Kong and it was simple and worked although on a black bike the big red dog chew looked stupid. I opted to stay with the air tank and bladder. I don't like the idea of mickey mouseing anything on my king although it does work. Your question as to where the location of the airtank should be. I would NOT where you are thinking. There is an incredible amount of heat there and air when heated expands. Not enough to blow the tank or lines but if you want to maintain a constant pressure in the tank, the expansion due to heat will not allow that. I set mine at 33 psi in the tank and it stays there. Good idea though. Just my thoughts.

randy
Regarding the kong, I won't consider that, I fee the same way you do about Mickey mousing stuff.
As far the heat goes, I thought about it, and I guess you are right. I may still try it. My riding season is coming to an end for this year tho so I won't be able to really test it until next year.

Quick Reply: Police seat on RKC question.