Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making stock mufflers a little louder...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016 | 08:06 AM
Magnut1
|
Grand HDF Member
Default Making stock mufflers a little louder...

I noticed that one of my V&H mufflers had a hole in it, rusted through where it clamps onto the crossover pipe on the left side. Dammit! I really liked those mufflers. I bought them used and had them on for almost a year. Oh well.

I had a pair of stock CVO style mufflers laying around and had them on once but they were way too quiet. So I decided to pull the cores out, cut the insulation out and make them at least a little louder. I don't have the money right now to buy some fulsac cores, but once I sell a few things, I will get them.

First thing is to remove the caps. One screw is partially covered by a bolt tower and couldn't get my #30 Torx on it. So I used my T30 screwdriver with a wrench to break it free.

Remove the cap, it came off pretty easy.

Cut the welds out. There are two in each muffler. I used a dremmel.

Slide the cores out. I used a floor jack handle in the inlet and dropped the muffler on the handle to force the core up and out. It took a few times. Make sure All the weld is ground down.

Cut the fiberglass bands off and slide the insulation off.

Install the cores, or the new Fulsac cores, and install all three screws before tightening them, repeat for the other one. Install and you are done

They were a little louder, but not quite what I wanted. When I get the Fulsac cores, it won't take much time to redo them, since the most time consuming was the welds.

Last edited by Magnut1; 10-24-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2016 | 08:47 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Not for me, but excellent job in documenting how to do it 👍

Old 10-24-2016 | 10:17 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Those look like ~2" baffles with a ~ 1 1/2" end cap/pipe, just guessing in sizes, dont own cvo mufflers. If the estimations are close, enlarging the 1 1/2" end cap will make them louder. But will also reduce back pressure. But, if you are thinking fullsac baffles anyway, those are ~2" and straight through, no endcap. If it were me, I'd get a 1 3/4" ~ 1 7/8" hole saw and remove that end cap AND rewrap the baffles. Wrapping them provides a nicer deeper tone and they will get louder without the smaller diameter end cap. You could enlarge in stages, starting with 1 3/4" and then try 1 7/8" or 2", depending on what size the baffles and endcaps actually are. And, all this can be done with pipes on the bike

Old 10-24-2016 | 10:21 AM
Clintd
Advanced

I've done something like that, Then I made a new cap and installed a straight pipe in the stock muffler housing. has a nice sound cruising and really roars wide open.

This should be a mandatory modification!

Old 10-24-2016 | 10:28 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain

My V&H slasher duels don't have a fiberglass packing in them at all. Just a baffle. No welds to cut, just a few screws to remove and a little finagling of the baffle out with WD-40 and some patience. I considered turning the baffles around so they were pointing the wrong direction. This would increase the sound demonstrably.... but alas I did not. My hearing is already bad enough as it is. I got the idea for this trick from a 62 corvair I had. I put glass pack mufflers on it and reversed them so the exhaust wasn't getting forced into the baffles. Worked great.