Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Axle Nut hitting exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016 | 03:41 PM
Bowhunter61
|
Road Warrior
Default Problem with Axle Nut hitting exhaust

First the setup:
09 Ultra with Ohlin 3-3 shocks (13 9/64 full length) and right now a Dragula exhaust system. When I mounted this exhaust the axle nut would hit the Slip On. I never had this problem with my old 2-1-2 exhaust using the Jackpot 4.5 Touring pipes because those are tapered slip-ons. To get the Dragula to fit correctly I basically had to put an indent in the slip-on to get the clearance. With the bike sitting on the ground it would clear but only by about 1/8", so when running down the road and bumps that extended the shock (like potholes) the axle nut would whack the pipe. Or with the bike up on the jack stand you couldn't put the Slip-On on the bike without it hitting the axle nut.

I am now looking to go with a slightly quieter setup, I am looking at either the FM E-series or the SuperTrapp Supermegg.

Anyone running the same Ohlins and either of these pipes?
Anyone else run into the same issues with Ohlins and other pipes?

I have decided there is no way I am buying a new exhaust system and beating an indent into the pipe again.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2016 | 03:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Yup - Supermeg with Howard's #3-3, for about 8 years. On an earlier bike, but with no problems. And the Supermeg is super smooth, giving a wonderful ride while being civilised!

Old 10-11-2016 | 03:50 PM
Bowhunter61
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
Yup - Supermeg with Howard's #3-3, for about 8 years. On an earlier bike, but with no problems. And the Supermeg is super smooth, giving a wonderful ride while being civilised!
Thanks GRBrown, that makes me feel a little better. Not sure if the changes in the frame would change anything or not in this regard. I would like to hear one of these pipes in person, out of all the bikes I have seen I have to see a Supermegg in this area on a bike.

BTW...my Mom is from Leicester, cousins were just over here visiting me.

Old 10-11-2016 | 03:59 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

It's not an Ohlins issue, its a shock length issue. And yes my axle hit my D&D boarzilla muffler with 13.25" shocks. Just barely but it dented it. I never heard it hit. But since it was dented I went ahead and dimpled it a touch more so it won't touch at all. What the hell, the muffler can never be taken apart for repacking now so when it needs repacking I'll have to buy a whole new muffler anyway. Yes you did the same thing to your muffler, made it non-servicable. Maybe a e-series muffler will work on your dragula, it works on a boarzilla. But don't dimple it, LOL!!!!!

Old 10-11-2016 | 04:05 PM
Bowhunter61
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by qtrracer
It's not an Ohlins issue, its a shock length issue. And yes my axle hit my D&D boarzilla muffler with 13.25" shocks. Just barely but it dented it. I never heard it hit. But since it was dented I went ahead and dimpled it a touch more so it won't touch at all. What the hell, the muffler can never be taken apart for repacking now so when it needs repacking I'll have to buy a whole new muffler anyway. Yes you did the same thing to your muffler, made it non-servicable. Maybe a e-series muffler will work on your dragula, it works on a boarzilla. But don't dimple it, LOL!!!!!
I didn't really say it was an Ohlins issue, that is why I listed the length of the shock at full stroke. And yes, I know once I did that the pipe was no longer going to get repacked. That is why I have decided I am not doing that again.

I forgot that FM has the E-series slip-on only for other 2-1 headpipes. That could be an option.

Old 10-11-2016 | 04:06 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Thanks GRBrown, that makes me feel a little better. Not sure if the changes in the frame would change anything or not in this regard. I would like to hear one of these pipes in person, out of all the bikes I have seen I have to see a Supermegg in this area on a bike.

BTW...my Mom is from Leicester, cousins were just over here visiting me.
I worked in Leicester for a couple of years, although travelled daily from home. Small world!

I gave up trying to describe exhaust sounds long ago! I don't like to draw attention, just like to have a good solid sound. My bike has a 107" and I use all the spacers it came with. plus the closed end cap. Discrete - that'll do me!

Old 10-11-2016 | 04:20 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
I didn't really say it was an Ohlins issue, that is why I listed the length of the shock at full stroke. And yes, I know once I did that the pipe was no longer going to get repacked. That is why I have decided I am not doing that again.

I forgot that FM has the E-series slip-on only for other 2-1 headpipes. That could be an option.
I would ask about it. You will need to be re-tuned as well with the change to a disc style muffler. I may go this route in the future, like you said, it's an option.

Old 10-11-2016 | 04:55 PM
Dharn55
Tourer

Go to a hardware store or a Home Depot type store and get some 1/2" spacers. I bought mine at Menards as they had the in chrome. Install them between the sliding bar mounting piece and the slipons. Problem solved.

Old 10-11-2016 | 06:10 PM
*Road King*
Tourer

When ordering my shocks from Howard, he sent me the required spacers to lower the pipes a bit so that would not happen.

Old 10-11-2016 | 06:37 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Spacing down the muffler is an option as well. I chose to leave the exhaust mounted without any tension on anything. Maybe spacing it down would have worked long term without risking a leak at the muffler/headpipe joint. I don't know.

Quick Reply: Problem with Axle Nut hitting exhaust