Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Axle Nut hitting exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016 | 06:46 PM
Bowhunter61
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Go to a hardware store or a Home Depot type store and get some 1/2" spacers. I bought mine at Menards as they had the in chrome. Install them between the sliding bar mounting piece and the slipons. Problem solved.
Originally Posted by *Road King*
When ordering my shocks from Howard, he sent me the required spacers to lower the pipes a bit so that would not happen.
I have been there and done that. The issue is 1/2" isn't enough and even at that I don't like the tension it puts on the joint at the head pipe. The reason it's not enough is I have the pre-load adjusted for 2 up so the collar is adjusted down hence extending the shock more than in the 1 up so I get the right sag with both of us on the bike. Even with spacers, with the bike on the jackstand, no load on the shocks, swing arm at its lowest, no way you can even put the slip-on on the head pipe and bolt it up to the rear bracket. This is why I had to put the indent in the muffler. This is also why some of the aftermarket exhaust have indents in the mufflers so you don't do a shim job to get them to fit.

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Spacing down the muffler is an option as well. I chose to leave the exhaust mounted without any tension on anything. Maybe spacing it down would have worked long term without risking a leak at the muffler/headpipe joint. I don't know.
As I said above, I didn't like the tension and even after trying the spacers it didn't completely fix the problem.

This is only an issue with the larger diameter mufflers. Like I said the tapered 4.5 touring pipes fit fine with the same shock set up.

What I really need to know is what is the diameter of the SuperTrapp Supermegg muffler at the point it runs by the axle?
For the E-series I am betting I can call FM and they have probably mounted an E-series on an Ultra with those length shocks.

Old 10-11-2016 | 07:34 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

The e-series 2-1 universal muffler is pretty tapered and it looks way more narrow than my boarzilla muffler where the axle is. You've probably already seen the pic on fm's web page.

Old 10-11-2016 | 07:59 PM
Bowhunter61
|
Road Warrior

The e-series 2-1 universal muffler is pretty tapered and it looks way more narrow than my boarzilla muffler where the axle is. You've probably already seen the pic on fm's web page.
Yea hard to tell but looks like it is tapered enough

I would ask about it. You will need to be re-tuned as well with the change to a disc style muffler. I may go this route in the future, like you said, it's an option.
I am doing some head work and new cams also so a good tune will be in order

Old 10-11-2016 | 08:35 PM
Longridertx
Road Master

I had the same problem when I put my #3-3's on. I loosened everything up including the muffler and then tightened everything again except where the muffler bolts to the support. After everything was tightened I had about a half inch or so between the muffler and support and used spacers that Howard sent with a little longer bolts. I also slightly dented the muffler and now the axle clears the muffler.

Old 10-12-2016 | 08:31 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Yea hard to tell but looks like it is tapered enough

I am doing some head work and new cams also so a good tune will be in order
I would give Fuel Moto a call. I'm certain they could tell you if the E series will fit with Ohlins as they sell both. The E-series looks to do pretty well based on the dyno charts posted by Fuel Moto.

They can also help you out on your cams and tuner, if that's the route you choose to go.

On the Supermegg - had it. Decent pipe. Installs well and the quality was good. It was much much quieter than my D&D Factcat. But, it also was more restrictive and there was a drop in power when I swapped it out.

These bikes are so affected by exhaust changes. Just swapping out my Supertrapp Stout slip ons in favor of stock really affected the bike's power.

Old 10-12-2016 | 03:53 PM
Extricator
Advanced

When I got my previous touring bike. 2010 Ultra Classic, my buddy had a brand new set of Vance & Hines Turn Down pipes that he never used so he gave them to me. When I installed them I noticed they did not have recesses in them like the factory pipes. A small auto body dolly and hammer I was able to replicate the recess and they fit like a glove with no interference. Ran great with great sound for the four years I had the bike. Just got my 2016 Street Glide Special and the slid right on with no issues....Not radical enough to have to flash the bike but sounds much meaner than stock....Until I get the head pipes...