Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Darrin Loecker
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Clutch Issue

Hey guys,

I recently had a lock up clutch installed in my 2004 FLHTI Electra Glide Standard from a local bike shop in town and it seems like the bike "takes off" or "engages"when my clutch lever is release clear to the end of my finger tips...prior to this the bike would take off when I released the lever about 1 or 1 1/2 inch from the bar and now it is clear at the end...SO I took it back and they adjusted the clutch cable and I took it home and it seemed better, but yesterday I rode it and it seems like the bike is taking off when the clutch lever is almost fully released...I hope this makes sense...I called the shop again and they said they will fix it to where I would like it to "engage?" if I'm making sense? Is this a cable adjustment? I believe they have to go into the clutch and adjust it from the inside, according to what I have watched on youtube...Thanks for your input

Old 10-04-2016, 01:05 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

"lock up"

which type

a conventional clutch will ease or slip from engagement to dis-engagement

some lock ups are either "on" or "off"

better for racing, not always so good on the street

mike

Old 10-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Darrin Loecker
Advanced

I believe it's an AIM...the shop ordered it from Drag Specialties is all I really know...It works just fine, but like I said I at my finger tips length when my bike finally goes...I know that when I am on the gas and going through gears its a little tougher to pull, but not terrible at all...I just want it to engage earlier when I release the clutch lever...

Old 10-04-2016, 03:55 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Wink

If it's an AIM your clutch operates as normal, but you can use a lighter weight clutch spring, which gives you the rider a lighter lever pull. As speed increases the device increases pressure on the clutch, there is no 'lock-up' of any sort. As you slow down the device reduces pressure and you can change clutch as when you set off. The only snag is that if you ride at high engine speeds in the gears lever pressure required to operate the clutch is higher than at lower engine speeds, due to the way the AIM functions. They have a website, where they will no doubt explain how it works!

Old 10-04-2016, 04:16 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,272 Likes on 3,164 Posts

I'm not familiar with this AIM clutch so don't flame me. But could it be a Clutch pack adjustment or the locking nut on the clutch pack is loose?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:41 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrin Loecker
I believe it's an AIM...the shop ordered it from Drag Specialties is all I really know...It works just fine, but like I said I at my finger tips length when my bike finally goes...I know that when I am on the gas and going through gears its a little tougher to pull, but not terrible at all...I just want it to engage earlier when I release the clutch lever...

I suspect the clutch pushrod needs to be adjusted (thru the primary inspection cover). Readjust and then fine tune with the cable adjustment.

I've used several AIM clutches and they behave and adjust pretty much like the stock clutch. They are a good product.

It's actually a pressure plate...the clutch pack remains the same.

The following users liked this post:
Darrin Loecker (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Darrin Loecker
Advanced

Yes, they adjusted the pushrod and it is back to engaging earlier rather than engaging when the clutch lever is almost all the way out...