Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia / West Virginia Trip Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 02:06 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Virginia / West Virginia Trip Advice

Hey all –

I'm looking for help with trip advice (routes-attractions/lunch stops/hotels/bar-restaurants/night-life) for a ride planned this month. It’ll be just 2 bikes (RKs)…a riding buddy and I. To keep cost down, we’re looking to share hotel rooms (double-occupancy) during the trip. We both like cool scenic rides, maybe a nice lunch stop, and a good bar/restaurant/hotel at the end of the day (places with libations and a good evening crowd is always a plus). I’ve already got some info via forum search, but I’m looking to finalize the details/itinerary (below). Your suggestions are sincerely appreciated. This is our only trip this year, so hoping it’s a good one! Thanks!

Day 1: Pennsylvania Trnpk W to I-81S to Winchester, VA…then Rt 522/340S to Front Royal, VA (lunch stop?)….then to Shenandoah Park and enter Skyline Drive…drive SLD south to Waynesboro, VA or Staunton, VA (Hotel/restaurant-bar/night-life advice for Waynesboro or Staunton?).

Day 2: Take Rt 250W toward the Monogahela National Forest…(then either Rt 28S to Greenbank, to Rt 66W through Cass, to Rt 219/250N to Elkins, W.Va) –OR- (Rt 15W, to Rt 20N, to Rt 33E to Elkins, W.Va) (Hotel/restaurant-bar/night-life advice for Elkins?... Isaac Jackson Hotel?). If time permits on Day 2, maybe take a side trip via Rt 33E to Seneca Rocks/Seneca Caverns, and then back to Elkins, W.Va hotel.

Day 3: Take 219/250N through Parsons, Blackwater Falls State Park, and Thomas to Route 50E to Romney, W.Va….stay 3rd night in Romney, or continue to Winchester, Va., or Hagerstown, MD (Hotel/restaurant-bar/night-life advice for 3rd night in either Romney, Winchester or Hagerstown?)

Day 4: I-81N to PA Turnpike and home.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

rte 219/250 in WV ranks as one of my favorites. I've stayed in Elkins, Waynesboro, Staunton on many occasions but can't help with the nightlife... Sorry

Old 10-03-2016, 02:25 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,138 Likes on 2,701 Posts

Seems you have it mapped out perfect, check out http://www.cassrailroad.com/ while in Cass if you have time. Enjoy the views.

rk classic.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:04 PM
SCarty
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I would take Rt 28S to Greenbank, to Rt 66W through Cass, to Rt 219/250N to Elkins, W.Va . I have a place in Greenbank and the riding around there is incredible! Ride the Highland Scenic Hwy rt150 if you head to Marlinton WV.

Seneca Rocks and Seneca Caverns are worth seeing.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:25 PM
heavypic
Tourer

Hey all -

OP here.... Thanks for your replies/advice.

Can anyone recommend hotels with safe parking for the bikes in the towns we're planning to stop? I'd like to get those rooms booked. Nothing worse than riding all day, and then having to look for a place to stay. That never goes well for me...

Weavr99FLHT - Which town do you prefer to stay overnight? Waynesboro or Staunton? Can you recommend any hotels there? Either of these towns will likely be our first overnight.

Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:10 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by heavypic
Hey all –

I'm looking for help with trip advice (routes-attractions/lunch stops/hotels/bar-restaurants/night-life) for a ride planned this month. It’ll be just 2 bikes (RKs)…a riding buddy and I. To keep cost down, we’re looking to share hotel rooms (double-occupancy) during the trip. We both like cool scenic rides, maybe a nice lunch stop, and a good bar/restaurant/hotel at the end of the day (places with libations and a good evening crowd is always a plus). I’ve already got some info via forum search, but I’m looking to finalize the details/itinerary (below). Your suggestions are sincerely appreciated. This is our only trip this year, so hoping it’s a good one! Thanks!

If you stay in Inwood there are at least 2 titty bars if thats your thing...

Day 1: Pennsylvania Trnpk W to I-81S to Winchester, VA…then Rt 522/340S to Front Royal, VA (lunch stop?)….then to Shenandoah Park and enter Skyline Drive…drive SLD south to Waynesboro, VA or Staunton, VA (Hotel/restaurant-bar/night-life advice for Waynesboro or Staunton?).

Stay at the Howard Johnsons in Staunton. You can park your bikes under the awning. Its not 5 star, but for the price... In the am you can go to breakfast across the parking lot next nubeginning farm store. (hotel breakfast sucks ) For dinner my favorite is the clock tower. You can walk there, eat drink and be merry. There is also the depot grill, and the mill street grill. After walk around the neighborhood and have a beer a george bowers grocery. or Ice cream at the split banana (highly recommended) Everything closes relatively early so plan accordingly. There is also the Stonewall Jackson hotel, which is all inclusive (restaurant, bar and breakfast but you will pay for all those. Not bad either, convenient ), its about double the cost, but they have a parking garage if you have to have a parking garage.

Day 2: Take Rt 250W toward the Monogahela National Forest…(then either Rt 28S to Greenbank, to Rt 66W through Cass, to Rt 219/250N to Elkins, W.Va) –OR- (Rt 15W, to Rt 20N, to Rt 33E to Elkins, W.Va) (Hotel/restaurant-bar/night-life advice for Elkins?... Isaac Jackson Hotel?). If time permits on Day 2, maybe take a side trip via Rt 33E to Seneca Rocks/Seneca Caverns, and then back to Elkins, W.Va hotel.

This is an awesome ride I stayed in buckhannon because everything in Elkins was booked up this past August. I road 219 to 15, 15 to 20 north and stayed at the hampton inn in buckhannon. (from cass, via snowshoe, 219 north...)
hightown and monterey are picturesque.

Day 3: Take 219/250N through Parsons, Blackwater Falls State Park, and Thomas to Route 50E to Romney, W.Va….stay 3rd night in Romney, or continue to Winchester, Va., or Hagerstown, MD (Hotel/restaurant-bar/night-life advice for 3rd night in either Romney, Winchester or Hagerstown?)

buckhannon to elkins, to parsons to redcreek, to keyser.

i don't know if youve been to east coast sturgis, its in little orleans. Theres nothing there, but a few bars, and a gas station with a diner in it. Bills place, Belle Grove Grocery, Oak barrel Cafe

ride back from romney to 42 to keyser via 46. (parts of keyser are just falling apart, (urban decay) but the road is neat ride )ride up to cumberland to the Dam Tavern via 220. (cool old local pub )

maybe stay in berkley springs?

Day 4: I-81N to PA Turnpike and home.

bills place
12719 High Germany Rd, Little Orleans, MD 21766

belle grove grocery
12937 Orleans Rd NE, Little Orleans, MD 21766

cj maggies (restaurant in buckhannon) ok for dinner.

dam tavern
523 N Centre St, Cumberland, MD 21502

clancys irish pub
777 Armstrong St, Keyser, WV 26726

clock tower
27 W Beverley St, Staunton, VA 24401

howard johnson
268 N Central Ave, Staunton, VA 24401

eds grill
1221 E Main St, Waynesboro, VA 22980

billys gas and grub
21514 National Pike NE, Flintstone, MD 21530

this last ones a beer stop, I dont remember the name, folks are real friendly, bars in a old firehouse, second floor. its down the street from billys gas and grub

39.703166, -78.566673

Last edited by jammerx; 10-03-2016 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added a few options....
Old 10-03-2016, 06:37 PM
heavypic
Tourer

OP here -

Thanks for all the suggestions Jammerx!! Sounds like you prefer Staunton, VA over Waynesboro, VA... this helps, thanks!

Bump...for more hotel and other suggestions for the trip are appreciated.

Thanks all!

The following users liked this post:
jammerx (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 07:08 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

thanks for info. leaving thursday for 4 days in wv

Old 10-04-2016, 11:59 AM
heavypic
Tourer

Hey 1957buick -

OP here...

PM me when you return. I want to hear about your trip, the temps/weather, etc. You gotta pack for all conditions (layers, raingear, etc) this time of year, especially riding in the hills. I was in the Kentucky/W.Virginia area this time of year on two separate trips.

I will be leaving on my trip later this month.

BTW - have you booked hotels? Please let me know places/hotels where you decided to stay.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2016, 02:30 PM
4D_Footer
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

There's nothing for you in Romney. IMHO, head north of Cumberland, MD or Frostburg(college town with good bars).

Quick Reply: Virginia / West Virginia Trip Advice