Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LRS Shield rainbow

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 07:54 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Try some non polarized sunglasses. I was sitting co pilot flying in a jet a while back, and mentioned the windshield glare, polarized glasses was the issue. Oakley Flackjacket XLJ.
Another help I recommend is Plexus cleaner. Spray it on a cool windshield, and let it sit a few minutes. Then microfiber it off.
Weird the things you see with polarized glasses thru car windows - checker boards, dots, all kinds of stuff. But, they do help you to see fish in the water, for sure!
Free cheap test - put on your sunglasses and look at your computer screen with it turned on. Turn your head side to side. If the screen blacks out anywhere, they are polarized.
As stated, pros and cons to polarized lenses, just offering help for your issue...

Old 09-25-2016, 01:03 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 305 Likes on 219 Posts

Well shut my mouth...lol
Went out today , different glasses. I took 2 sets. The first had very little rainbow depending on the direction of the sun. The second set had none at all.
So why the difference between stock Harley, Memphis shades which I have used in the past and never seen this before????
I need to find a good cheap set of a sun/riding glasses.......

Last edited by Tarkus60; 09-25-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:31 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Polarized glasses can be funky. I have a watch with a digital LCD screen that looks perfectly normal with the naked eye, but with my polarized glasses on that watch screen looks almost like it has a cigarette burn or something in the middle of the screen, non polarized it looks just fine.
With regard to "Cheap Riding Glasses", be sure you get something with UVA/UVB protection as well as good impact resistance. Safety first!
Ride safe...

Old 09-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Old 09-25-2016, 03:34 PM
Billf
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the LRS windshield and when I wear my HD PPZ (partially polarized) sunglasses I see the rainbow effect a
So.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:49 PM
OldSarge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the ESS Crossbow. You can get polarized or non-polarized lens. I paid a little over $100 for the frame and 3 lenses. These glasses will protect your eyes. These are issued to our combat soldiers for eye protection. http://www.esseyepro.com/Crossbow_211_category.html

Old 09-25-2016, 10:46 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I have an 8 and 9 inch LRS. I only wear polarized sun glasses during the day. I'm not sure what rainbow effect you guys are talking about. I don't see anything abnormal. Also, don't look directly through the windshield when I ride. I prefer to look over the top. Isn't that the purpose of the recurve? To allow you to use a shorter shield and see over the top?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:58 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

J
Originally Posted by slowrollin
I have an 8 and 9 inch LRS. I only wear polarized sun glasses during the day. I'm not sure what rainbow effect you guys are talking about. I don't see anything abnormal. Also, don't look directly through the windshield when I ride. I prefer to look over the top. Isn't that the purpose of the recurve? To allow you to use a shorter shield and see over the top?
Well the OP is talking about Road King shield not a bat wing if that helps.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:54 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 898 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by slowrollin
Is your shield tinted or clear, that may be the difference if clear (like in your picture)

I too have a 9 inch Ultra Elite shield with medium tint, the rainbow is 110% due to the polarized glasses.
I also have an 8 in standard Ultra, same thing, rainbow with polaized.
I prefer to look over the shield as well, but close up.... looking through the shield with polarized glasses makes road tar look like disco lights...lol.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Mine is clear and 18 inches, so I look over it somewhat.If you have the rainbow you will know. Disco lights for sure...lol

But once again why just this shield ?????
Others brands don't do it...

Quick Reply: LRS Shield rainbow