Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NC Left on Red Law

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:46 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: NC Left on Red Law

WA doesn't allow left turns on red.... was shot-down in 2007 ..... to be reintroduced in 2008 ... *sigh*

It passed the house... but not the senate... I can't say it was 'shot down'. I believe, if remembering correctly, in Feb or Mar 2007 it was 'tabled' for further discussion from the senate. It did pass the house though (I think it passed the house twice). I guess equal rights for same-sex couple was more important of a discussion ... and fixing bridges than it was for motorcycles.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:30 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

WishI knew if this was allowed in NM. I hate having to turn rt and then do a u turn to get back in the direction I am heading. A pain. But, we have no helmet law, no noise ordinance, and handlebar height is shoulder height, but have never heard of any rider getting a ticket her in NM for handlebar height. Lucky for me, 18' apes are right at my shoulders.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:36 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to he web site Coyotedata gave and found this:

What Georgia Did in 2005...
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF GEORGIA: [/align]
SECTION 1. [/align] Part 2 of Article 13 of Chapter 6 of Title 40 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to motorcycles, is amended by adding a new Code Section 40-6-312.1 to read as follows: [/align] "40-6-312.1. [/align] Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after waiting for a reasonable period of time for such traffic-control signal to detect such motorcycle, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so." [/align]
SECTION 2. [/align] All laws and parts of laws in conflict with this Act are repealed. See: http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/fulltext/hb141.htm [color="#000000"][font="arial"][URL=http://www.bikernation.net/stoplightbill.htm#California%20Motorcyclists%20Nee d%20a%20Stop%20Light%20Bill][font="arial"][size="2"]Back to

Old 05-27-2007, 04:44 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: coyotedata

There is some interesting info here

http://www.bikernation.net/stoplightbill.htm

[align=right] [/align]
Thanks, coyotedata for the web site. Did you see the biker at the red light get struck from the rear by the pickup? I wonder if he survived the impact?

Everyone, go to the bikernation web site, scroll down and you'll see why we don't want to sitting at a red light too long.

Hack

Old 05-27-2007, 06:23 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

ok, somebody posted before about putting your kickstand down!!!THIS DOES WORK.... I have been doing this at some loop lights here in Texas. Works every time......

Old 05-27-2007, 08:28 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbhawley

the inducive loop is basically when you pull up to an intersection and the sensors in the pavement detect a vehicle and then trip the signal to turn green. Easy way to detect this...
Look at the pavement at the intersection where you stop your vehicle...you will notice small cut marks in the pavement in the form of a rectangle generally 5ft x 5ft with another line running to the curb.

......I thought 5x5 was a square?[X(]..couldn't help myself...

Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok, so how is the layman to know the light is controlled by an inductive loop, if you can't see the cuts in pavement.
and how would an officer know you waited 3 minutes?

I usually wait about that long and go anyway, don't know if we have the law or not, guess will have to check on it

Old 05-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the light cycles through and doesn't "see" me, then I treat it like a stop sign and go when I can (after checking for LEO). It's safer than going straight from a left turn lane and then pulling a U-turn to get back to the intersection.