Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me outa buying a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016 | 07:52 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

nice looking bike, clean.

Old 09-27-2016 | 08:13 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

I guess we're talking you out of it, since you don't have one yet.

Old 09-27-2016 | 08:29 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

OK. When I was ready to buy my 1st Harley in 09, I rode my buddy's Road King for awhile. Glad I did. Wasn't comfortable to me. I had to reach for the handlebars, and lean WAY too far forward. I couldn't have ridden a 300 mile Sunday on it. Sure, I suppose I would've been able to put handlebar risers on it to bring them back toward me, or I could've gotten different bars, but I wanted it right without doing all that. I test rode an 09 EG Classic, and it felt like it was made for me. That's what I bought. I now have a Limited Ultra. Didn't even consider RK. Now, I like the fairing so much, I can't see myself on anything WITHOUT a fairing. Ride a Road King. Maybe you'll love it. Maybe you'll discover what I did. Also keep in mind that this is just MY opinion. Lots of RKs out there, and lots of guys love them. It wasn't for me. Take one for a ride.

Old 09-27-2016 | 08:35 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Do it! You can go from Summer Riding

To Winter riding in 15 minutes

Old 09-27-2016 | 09:16 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

My favorite bike was my 2011 Road King Classic. That Silver with the white walls was a very classy looking bike.

Old 09-27-2016 | 09:51 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Fall two up touring with the Road King is just too cool.
Seek out the fall colors and grin.
Stow the jackets and stuff for the ride home.
Smooth, powerful, and sharp.

Old 09-27-2016 | 10:07 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

My recommendation is to go for a RKC. Everything works on that bike. You won't be looking to put a Street GLide fender on it, or stretched bags. The wire wheels look great on it, so there is no need to change those. Everything just works together very well.

Old 09-27-2016 | 10:23 AM
micmoren
Tourer

Buy the Road King, find a good used 14-16 with low miles now that the 17s are out or buy a new 16 for much less than the 17s. Either way, you get the 103 and a fantastic, classic bike.

Old 09-27-2016 | 12:20 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
OK. When I was ready to buy my 1st Harley in 09, I rode my buddy's Road King for awhile. Glad I did. Wasn't comfortable to me. I had to reach for the handlebars, and lean WAY too far forward. I couldn't have ridden a 300 mile Sunday on it. Sure, I suppose I would've been able to put handlebar risers on it to bring them back toward me, or I could've gotten different bars, but I wanted it right without doing all that. I test rode an 09 EG Classic, and it felt like it was made for me. That's what I bought. I now have a Limited Ultra. Didn't even consider RK. Now, I like the fairing so much, I can't see myself on anything WITHOUT a fairing. Ride a Road King. Maybe you'll love it. Maybe you'll discover what I did. Also keep in mind that this is just MY opinion. Lots of RKs out there, and lots of guys love them. It wasn't for me. Take one for a ride.

Oh yeah. This is a huge thing to mention. At least for me. The pre Rushmore Road King handle bars are nothing short of Chinese torture devices. Absolute garbage. Just something to consider based on the years you are considering. The '14 up bars are a huge improvement.

Old 09-27-2016 | 12:25 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member

There's a special feeling when you're riding an iconic motorcycle like a RKC, and it goes way beyond the steel, rubber and technology.

There's a reason why it's styling has been copied, poorly, by every other bike manufacturer who go out of their way NOT to display their badges on their bikes so people will THINK they're a Harley.

Buy a King. Learn the reason. Ride history.

Quick Reply: Talk me outa buying a Road King