Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me outa buying a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016 | 04:43 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member

Nobody here can talk you out of it? Try the Goldwing forum! Forget that-Really,BUY it!

Old 09-25-2016 | 04:54 PM
jeeper101
Tourer

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
Jeeper, How did you get into my head?

randy

I am heading in the same direction with my classic. What kind of seat is that? Drooling over it... OP, say no to Road King and say no to HD forums, both very expensive (lol)

Old 09-25-2016 | 05:30 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

No brainer. Make the trade for a '16 and wonder why it was ever a question to begin with.

Old 09-25-2016 | 05:40 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior

They are fat, slow and ugly. Glad I could help.

Old 09-25-2016 | 05:52 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior

Go on and get an Ultra !!

Old 09-25-2016 | 06:00 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

Jeeper, its a police solo seat with the air bladder and tank. The handrail is an after market.

randy

Old 09-25-2016 | 10:23 PM
SWMB
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IronDel
I currently have two Harley's, a 2013 Iron 883 (my first), and a 2002 Road King Classic. Here are my thoughts on switching from the Sportster to a Road King.

I bought the Iron because I absolutely love the look of the bike, and I've always wanted a Sportster. To me, it's just a raw machine, meant to be ridden. I'm a bigger guy at 6'3" (plus a bit of excess mass), and my wife is 5'10". Two-up, the Sportster is just fine for power on our prairie highways (I'm in Manitoba as well). But, it's a really snug fit for the two of us for a full days riding.

Which is why I bought the Road King as a second ride. My wife and daughter are both far more comfortable on the back of the Road King than on the Sportster, my wife now has a bike of her own to ride, having taken over riding duty on the Iron, and I'm actually surprised how much more comfortable the Road King is for me to ride solo.

If you haven't ridden one before, the Road King will surprise you for how nimble it truly is. It is a big bike, but the weight is carried fairly low on it. You can also go from a full on touring setup to a classic cruiser in just minutes.

Being in Manitoba, I can tell you first hand that the insurance difference between the Road King and the Sportster is almost nil. It won't cost you much more for insurance to switch.

Now, reasons not to upgrade.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Sportster. it's a fine motorcycle, and I still enjoy getting a ride in on it when I can. You can swap the seat, foot pegs, and add saddlebags and a windshield; pretty much the same as a Road King, just in a smaller frame.

Your Sportster may be paid off, and you may have to finance a new bike. If your Sportster is newer and financed, trading it in will likely involve rolling the difference between the trade-in value and what you still owe on it into the financing on the new bike. With our already VERY high cost of insurance here in Manitoba, that makes it really expensive to ride.

Edit:

I can't seem to send a PM right now, but I was going to recommend checking out both Manitoba dealerships, Harley-Davidson Winnipeg and Gaslight HD in Morden, before buying, should you choose to buy a new bike.
Thanks for the post its nice to hear from someone who owns both. I've been talking to 3 dealers Redline at Yorkton, Rudy at Gaslight and HD Winnipeg. I really liked the talk and visit I had with the Rudy at Gaslight. I live west of Brandon so all 3 of the mentioned dealers are roughly a 3 hour ride.

Old 09-26-2016 | 07:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by SWMB
Thanks for the post its nice to hear from someone who owns both. I've been talking to 3 dealers Redline at Yorkton, Rudy at Gaslight and HD Winnipeg. I really liked the talk and visit I had with the Rudy at Gaslight. I live west of Brandon so all 3 of the mentioned dealers are roughly a 3 hour ride.
Now's the time to buy if you don't mind a 15 or 16 model twin cam unit instead of the new M8 motors , dealers are marking the twinkies down drastically around here trying to clear the floors, could save yourself a fair bit of money.

The new 17 models are MSRP they aren't budging off that for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 09-26-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2016 | 07:22 PM
Rktect1
Advanced

Ha ha ha. Yeah.... no. Go buy the Road King.

Old 09-26-2016 | 07:25 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Talk you out of it? OK. Here's why I won't buy a new RK:

1. I hate the throttle by wire & won't own one
2. The bars are ugly;prolly over a grand to change
3. The seat is ugly prolly$3-400 to change (only good looking one is a solo or Badlander)
4. Dont like the front wheel; prolly $500-$1000 to change
5. Can't do a REAL stage 1; screw that "street performance" crap.
6. I'd hafta put in my bike plus around 10Gs, maybe more. The new RK ain't worth 10Gs more than my bike, IMHO.
7. Screw the cat; don't feel like dealing with it.

And that's why I ain't gettin' a new one. You should follow my lead.

Quick Reply: Talk me outa buying a Road King