Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me outa buying a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016 | 11:34 AM
jeeper101
Tourer

Originally Posted by dawg
Okay, don't buy it. Buy an epitome of the touring line (a fairing bike, either batwing or sharknose). The RK looks like a stripped theft, has no radio and all of the other goodies the fairing bikes do!
So true, you could also add two more wheels and some more fairing and call it a car...
sorry, couldn't resist

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016 | 01:25 PM
SWMB
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jeeper101
So true, you could also add two more wheels and some more fairing and call it a car...
sorry, couldn't resist
Ha Ha there nice looking bikes but I have no interest in a big fairing , radio, and GPS,with a big TV screen in front of me.

Old 09-25-2016 | 01:28 PM
IronDel
1st Gear

I currently have two Harley's, a 2013 Iron 883 (my first), and a 2002 Road King Classic. Here are my thoughts on switching from the Sportster to a Road King.

I bought the Iron because I absolutely love the look of the bike, and I've always wanted a Sportster. To me, it's just a raw machine, meant to be ridden. I'm a bigger guy at 6'3" (plus a bit of excess mass), and my wife is 5'10". Two-up, the Sportster is just fine for power on our prairie highways (I'm in Manitoba as well). But, it's a really snug fit for the two of us for a full days riding.

Which is why I bought the Road King as a second ride. My wife and daughter are both far more comfortable on the back of the Road King than on the Sportster, my wife now has a bike of her own to ride, having taken over riding duty on the Iron, and I'm actually surprised how much more comfortable the Road King is for me to ride solo.

If you haven't ridden one before, the Road King will surprise you for how nimble it truly is. It is a big bike, but the weight is carried fairly low on it. You can also go from a full on touring setup to a classic cruiser in just minutes.

Being in Manitoba, I can tell you first hand that the insurance difference between the Road King and the Sportster is almost nil. It won't cost you much more for insurance to switch.

Now, reasons not to upgrade.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Sportster. it's a fine motorcycle, and I still enjoy getting a ride in on it when I can. You can swap the seat, foot pegs, and add saddlebags and a windshield; pretty much the same as a Road King, just in a smaller frame.

Your Sportster may be paid off, and you may have to finance a new bike. If your Sportster is newer and financed, trading it in will likely involve rolling the difference between the trade-in value and what you still owe on it into the financing on the new bike. With our already VERY high cost of insurance here in Manitoba, that makes it really expensive to ride.

Edit:

I can't seem to send a PM right now, but I was going to recommend checking out both Manitoba dealerships, Harley-Davidson Winnipeg and Gaslight HD in Morden, before buying, should you choose to buy a new bike.

Last edited by IronDel; 09-25-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Unable to PM.
Old 09-25-2016 | 01:55 PM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain

Never say no to the King!

Old 09-25-2016 | 02:02 PM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dawg
Okay, don't buy it. Buy an epitome of the touring line (a fairing bike, either batwing or sharknose). The RK looks like a stripped theft, has no radio and all of the other goodies the fairing bikes do!
seriously, Nancy? Go hide behind your fairy-ing and leave the Kings to those that take motorcycling seriously!

nothing better that the sun on my face, the rain at my back, the bugs in my teeth and the wind in my hair. All the music you need is a well tuned set of pipes and the song of the tires on the road.

Hang onto the apes for all their worth and enjoy the burn from hanging on, it will keep you young!

The following users liked this post:
micmoren (09-27-2016)
Old 09-25-2016 | 02:35 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

ya got the coin? go for it....that's how I got my sg.

Old 09-25-2016 | 02:37 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jeeper101
Too many negatives to owning a RK (Classic in my case)
You will want to ride it day and night...
When you are not ridding it, you find yourself dreaming about riding it... Heck, when you are riding it you dream about riding it.
You'll spend too much time (and money) searching for and buying chrome and other accesiries for it, which once installed, will cause you to want to stare at it for hours...
its really not worth it, too much fun and joy! Don't buy it, you'll regret it.

Jeeper, How did you get into my head?

randy

Old 09-25-2016 | 02:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by SWMB
Thanks guys but your not really helping to talk me outa one LOL. To me they just look like my next bike.
Sorry man I can't talk you outa one either I'll have a new RK by spring and it's a sure thing I've been fence sitting a lot longer than you have, I'm still riding a shovelhead.

Old 09-25-2016 | 02:43 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

TwiZted, I sold my 1974 Shovel to buy my 03 RKC above. I was hesitant and had buyers remorse until I hit the switch and put in it gear. Hail to the King

randy

Old 09-25-2016 | 02:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Mine will just have company during the rainy season the old girl's going nowhere.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 09-25-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Talk me outa buying a Road King