Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me outa buying a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016 | 04:21 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member

Welcome to Club King.

Old 10-21-2016 | 06:52 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
OK. When I was ready to buy my 1st Harley in 09, I rode my buddy's Road King for awhile. Glad I did. Wasn't comfortable to me. I had to reach for the handlebars, and lean WAY too far forward. I couldn't have ridden a 300 mile Sunday on it. Sure, I suppose I would've been able to put handlebar risers on it to bring them back toward me, or I could've gotten different bars, but I wanted it right without doing all that. I test rode an 09 EG Classic, and it felt like it was made for me. That's what I bought. I now have a Limited Ultra. Didn't even consider RK. Now, I like the fairing so much, I can't see myself on anything WITHOUT a fairing. Ride a Road King. Maybe you'll love it. Maybe you'll discover what I did. Also keep in mind that this is just MY opinion. Lots of RKs out there, and lots of guys love them. It wasn't for me. Take one for a ride.
Good advice right there. I've owned a few very different models, as shown in the signature. I just traded "down" from a 2014 SG to a 2001 Road King that I found with only 18k miles on it. The SG is a nice bike, don't get me wrong. It just wasn't the bike for me. Just like an Ultra and a Switchback were not the right bike for me. Kind of felt boxed in by the fairing. Seems like I have more of a feel for the roads and my surroundings on both the RK and my Fat Boy. I'm much happier on the old RK than I ever was on the new SG.
But like the man says, ride one. Maybe it's for you, maybe it isn't. If it's not, ride another model. Or 2 or 3. It's a very individualized thing. Life is short, get what you want while you're here.
But it looks like I'm a little late to the party and you've already got one coming. I wish you the best with it!

Last edited by 2goldens; 10-21-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-21-2016 | 07:31 AM
B Bop
Road Captain

I am soooo happy with my Road King, I cannot find anything to complain about, its nostalgic looking with all today's amenities finding it extremely difficult to ever part with. Clearly the best well handled balanced touring bike available. "Once you ride the king, it will become the only thing".

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that increases its nostalgic appearance & performance.

Old 10-21-2016 | 08:29 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by B Bop
Clearly the best well handled balanced touring bike available. ".
Careful now..... you'll get the Fugly Clan all upset. They LOVE to say the Road Glide is the best handling Touring bike..... till they remember the King DOESN'T have 40lbs of plastic and electronics, bolted directly over the front wheel, at the absolute highest part of the motorcycle. But they are always quick to qualify that with..... Road Kings aren't Touring Bikes, cause they don't have farings........ lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by bikerlaw:
Jay Guild (10-21-2016), micmoren (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016 | 09:41 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I saw a Road King just like that one at my Dealer the other day, told the salesman "That bike right there is the closest thing to a Classic that the MoCo makes today".
Sharp classic colors, excellent choice.
Of course I am biased; I had a Granny that had a 1957 Chevy Belaire in that exact color!
You mean like one of these?

Attached Thumbnails Talk me outa buying a Road King-2005-harley-davidson-road-king-side-view1.jpg  
Old 10-21-2016 | 10:14 AM
SWMB
|
Road Warrior

Well thanks guys just a quick update I picked the new Road King up a week ago and never had a chance to ride for a few days. I've had it out on a couple short trips at about 220 miles now and I'm wishing it was spring so I could keep riding. So with my very limited riding all I can say is wow what a beautiful ride.

The following users liked this post:
gaAlbany (10-27-2016)
Old 10-21-2016 | 12:17 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by RKZen
You mean like one of these?
Yes! Yes!
All that ride needs is a set of '59 Cadillac tail lights.
Park it anywhere, it will look like it has owned that spot for 30 some odd years!
OP, glad to hear the good news about your new 'King - no, wait a minute.
I almost forgot:

Otherwise, it aint so!

Old 10-24-2016 | 07:46 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=bikerlaw; ..... till they remember the King DOESN'T have 40lbs of plastic and electronics, bolted directly over the front wheel, at the absolute highest part of the motorcycle. But they are always quick to qualify that with..... Road Kings aren't Touring Bikes, cause they don't have fairings........ lol.[/QUOTE mine came with a aftermarket fairing, which i took off when i got it home, and yes it isnt lightweight.

Old 10-24-2016 | 08:03 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

I would talk you into it!
I didn't start riding until I was 50... I always wanted a bike, but knew I didn't have the discipline for it... My whole life when I heard the word 'motorcycle' the vision of a Road King is what popped into my mind... I bought the Wide Glide in my sig when I finally thought I was ready to behave.. As soon as my wife came with me to bike event, she decided she best ride with me LOL.. It was a matter of hours before I was at the dealer looking for a 2nd bike to do 2 up riding, rolled out with RK#1 (of 4)... Still love zipping around on the Dyna too!

Last edited by Afishinado; 10-24-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2016 | 09:12 PM
Beerbar
Cruiser

I just picked up a 17 Road King myself and love the thing. Went in for a Street Glide, sat on it, wasn't impressed really. It just didn't feel right. I was disappointed in that I wasn't excited about it. THEN in the corner, a badass bike was lookin at me. Classic look, sexy chrome, awesome lines that said yo, get yer fat *** over here. My brother said I see you eyein that Road King. (That's what he rides) I walk over, sit and it was decided as soon as my *** hit the seat. Fit me like a glove. Waited a long time for this bike and like everyone said, just get it. So I did. This thing handles amazing well for a big bike. I was shocked how well this bike rides. Only regret is I didn't get it sooner. Waiting on some pipes and I'm good to go. Hard to decide which to get.

The following users liked this post:
2goldens (10-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Talk me outa buying a Road King