Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSRP dealer..or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts
Default MSRP dealer..or not

Stopped into one of the local dealerships yesterday after work to buy a pair of muffler clamps and I noticed that virtually all their new bikes were without price cards on the handlebars. You could not tell the price of anything. So I asked the young salesman who was following me around if this particular dealership was a MSRP dealer or not. He said they were not.

I asked how much above MSRP they typically were and he said "Maybe 2-3 hundred dollars unless it was a CVO and then 5-6 hundred."

So I got to wondering if removing prices from new bikes was common practice today and how many people were actually paying above MSRT for new bikes? For my part, I would never shop for a new bike unless the retail price was posted and I damn sure would never pay over MSRP.
But I am old and could be out of tune.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:46 PM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm with you on your MSRP policy. That's why the next time I buy a new bike I'll probably buy it in the month of January when fewer people are in the market to buy. We will see if that works!

Old 09-22-2016, 03:57 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Stopped into one of the local dealerships yesterday after work to buy a pair of muffler clamps and I noticed that virtually all their new bikes were without price cards on the handlebars. You could not tell the price of anything. So I asked the young salesman who was following me around if this particular dealership was a MSRP dealer or not. He said they were not.

I asked how much above MSRP they typically were and he said "Maybe 2-3 hundred dollars unless it was a CVO and then 5-6 hundred."

So I got to wondering if removing prices from new bikes was common practice today and how many people were actually paying above MSRT for new bikes? For my part, I would never shop for a new bike unless the retail price was posted and I damn sure would never pay over MSRP.
But I am old and could be out of tune.
I noticed the same thing at a local dealer. Seemed really weird. The dealer that I use always has MSRP listed (same price as listed on HD website) + $500 setup fee. The same on every bike on the floor. Seems reasonable to me because if you negotiate at all you can get a new bike slightly less than the posted MSRP. I would never buy from a dealer with no prices posted. Seems really dishonest.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I paid $2250 under MSRP including set up and that was in march. Off months and at the end of the month is the best time to buy. The dealers need us....... we can choose the dealer WE want to work with. We don't need them. There is always another dealer to work with.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
I would never buy from a dealer with no prices posted. Seems really dishonest.
How is it dishonest? Are they lying by not hanging a price tag?

Old 09-22-2016, 06:01 PM
FattyMcJ
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
I would never buy from a dealer with no prices posted. Seems really dishonest.
Nothing dishonest about it. It's a sales technique.

It forces the consumer to speak to a salesperson. By having the customer initiate the conversation, the salesman doesn't have to worry about breaking the ice and they can let the customer come to them. This creates a low-pressure sales environment for the customer and an easy-in for the salesman.

This is business 101 folks, direct sales. Nothing new here.

Do you see price tags on houses for sale as you drive by them? Nope. You have to either ask the owner/realtor or go online and find the listing.

My company doesn't advertise our prices either. We want you to talk to us.

If you don't want to talk to a salesman, don't.

If you have questions, ask.

You hold the power, as the customer/consumer.

If you just want to know the MSRP, there's a website for that.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/

Old 09-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

If I don't see prices I move on. This works the same for me in person as it does online. I don't think it's dishonest, however I want to know if that place is worth my time. As others have said, there are many dealers around so find the one your most comfortable with in your dealings. My dad was a used car salesman. And he always told me to be leery of a used car with no price. New vehicles are obviously a little different, but on new models just out how often do they jack up the price? Back in the early to mid 90s' when HD's were flying off dealers showroom floors and you had to place an order for a bike and wait up to a year to take delivery, I found more than a few jacking up the price over MSRP.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:44 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Most of the dealers in Ohio do not have the tags with MSRP on them usually says ask for price. I asked why they dont advertise the price and the response i got was "So we can give the best price" I laughed and walked away

Old 09-22-2016, 06:52 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinman265
I paid $2250 under MSRP including set up and that was in march. Off months and at the end of the month is the best time to buy. The dealers need us....... we can choose the dealer WE want to work with. We don't need them. There is always another dealer to work with.
At that time if they had made quota for the month they will deal. If they have not, all the more reason to make a deal.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:55 PM
685power
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a federal law that a dealer must have a manufacturers window sticker on a new motor vehicles that are for sale Many states adopted this law for street motorcycles as well. Obviously not all states have or we have dealers bending the rules. A dealer that doesn't post an MSRP on their new bikes is looking to lay somebody out.

Quick Reply: MSRP dealer..or not