Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSRP dealer..or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:33 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kermie
If I don't see prices I move on.
Me too.

But ... lf I am ready to buy, I know the MSRP from Harley (internet really gives the buyer an advantage), figure out what I think a fair price is, and start asking dealers if they will sell for that price. I start with the dealer I would prefer to buy from, and tell them so.

BTW ... Around here almost all the dealers hang the tag with MSRP on the bike.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:31 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

All grocery stores, department stores, electronic stores, automobile dealers and every swingin big box store I have ever been in (that includes Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Kmart and target) has the retail price you can expect to pay clearly displayed. Why in the hell some silly Harley dealers think they can pull the wool over a prospective customer by hiding the price is a mystery to me.
No MSRP or price tag clearly in sight and I spin around and beat a hasty retreat to the front door. I will never darken their door again. There are too many MSRP dealers out there who do display the price on the handlebars for me to jack around with some numb nuts who does not. I say screw em and feed em beans!

Old 09-22-2016, 11:43 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
All grocery stores, department stores, electronic stores, automobile dealers and every swingin big box store I have ever been in (that includes Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Kmart and target) has the retail price you can expect to pay clearly displayed. Why in the hell some silly Harley dealers think they can pull the wool over a prospective customer by hiding the price is a mystery to me.
No MSRP or price tag clearly in sight and I spin around and beat a hasty retreat to the front door. I will never darken their door again. There are too many MSRP dealers out there who do display the price on the handlebars for me to jack around with some numb nuts who does not. I say screw em and feed em beans!
Because they can. It is what it is. You pay what you can negotiate. Same with car dealers.

Is this really such a mystery? Please wake up, people.

The following users liked this post:
FattyMcJ (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 12:21 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

My closest dealership changed hands a couple of years ago. I have been buying my bikes there since the 70s. the General manager was a friend of mine and I always got a smokin' deal. I was looking at a black '17 Road Glide Special.and asked for the price knowing MSRP was $23,999. The quoted $26,700. When I told them what MSRP was, they said they do DSRP Dealer Suggested Retail Price. I went a few miles away to another dealer who sells for MSRP. I guess these guys don't know it ain't the 90s anymore. You don't have to pay over MSRP these days, but some dealers know P.T. Barnum was right. There's a sucker born every minute.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:44 AM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Whether it's cars or bikes MSRP is just an inflated number to put the dealer at an advantageous starting point. With anything if demand is higher than supply price will go up to whatever people are willing to pay, but it is still quite an anomoly in the HD world that MSRP is generally accepted by buyers. I know with cars/trucks MSRP is a joke, then they market their "employee purchase price" which really just gets the price down to where it should be.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:39 AM
hAkron
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't worry so much about the price on the sticker. That number is just there as a suggested starting point. MSRP is easy enough to determine on your own. Know what you are willing to spend on a bike and find a dealer who will work with to get your price. If you can't find one, then decide if your price is realistic and adjust from there. Make sure to expand your search radius once you know exactly what you want. It doesn't cost much to ship a bike.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:16 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

i would hate to be a dealer. they just can't win. if they display a price, people get pissed at them. don't display a price, people get pissed and even leave. (seriously?). salesman asks if they can help, people get pissed over 'high pressure', salesman leaves you alone to browse, get pissed that no one helped them.

they just can't win.

i don't care if they post a price on the bike or not. i know what msrp is, and work from there. dealers in my area don't typically discount off of msrp, but will negotiate on trade in, services, etc.... if i feel like i'm getting a good deal, i buy. if i don't like the deal, i go elsewhere.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i would hate to be a dealer. they just can't win. if they display a price, people get pissed at them. don't display a price, people get pissed and even leave. (seriously?). salesman asks if they can help, people get pissed over 'high pressure', salesman leaves you alone to browse, get pissed that no one helped them.

they just can't win.

i don't care if they post a price on the bike or not. i know what msrp is, and work from there. dealers in my area don't typically discount off of msrp, but will negotiate on trade in, services, etc.... if i feel like i'm getting a good deal, i buy. if i don't like the deal, i go elsewhere.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:49 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Most of the dealers in Ohio do not have the tags with MSRP on them usually says ask for price. I asked why they dont advertise the price and the response i got was "So we can give the best price" I laughed and walked away

It is hard to find a brochure in a lot of them too."We just gave our last one"

Old 09-23-2016, 11:04 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Honestly, if you don't know what the MSRP is of a new bike before you get to the dealer then you are a fool and deserve the beating you are going to get.

The following users liked this post:
FattyMcJ (09-23-2016)

Quick Reply: MSRP dealer..or not