Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins HD157 or #3 adjustment questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:39 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Ohlins HD157 or #3 adjustment questions

OK, so I got the shocks on the other day....the shocks came with the sag adjustment collar basically with only 3 threads showing. I get on and it moved literally less than half an inch and when the wife got on it hit exactly 1 inch of sag (which is perfect, as I rarely ride without her so its not some huge deal). (between the wife and I and all out crap we are at 380 - 400 lbs). So right now I am hesitant to even bother trying to set sag and mark it for individual riding since its already backed pretty far out (I can only make it stiffer at this point IMHO) I know it will eventually break in and allow more adjustment, but wondering if any others have had this same experience

Then I went to the rebound adjustment ****...figuring I would count the "clicks" to see how much adjustment is available and would start in the middle and work from there...well there is a hard stop in one direction....and going from there it was over 50 clicks...so I went back to the stop and backed out 6 clocks on each side....I thought it was strange to not have a hard stop, as I rode numerous crotch rockets and all (showa and Ohlins) had always had a hard stop in both directions from what I remember...

We rolled out on a couple 100 mile Saturday jaunt with 4 other friends and the thing is 10 times better than the stock air shocked that were originally on it so while I will probably fiddle with it some, its still a very big improvement even as it sits right now.....

Question I have for you guys....what are your experiences with the adjustments and what are you running??? Did you find some things work better than others??

Last edited by RedRider0151; 09-19-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:47 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Old 09-19-2016, 10:51 AM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't have a hard stop in one direction on my Ohlins either for the rebound setting. I started at about 16 clicks and have left it becasue I've been happy with it.

I set my sag and the sag for me and the GF so the loaded length of the shock was the uncompressed length minus 1/3 of the total length of travel.

Example. My shocks are 13 1/4" uncompressed. The travel is 93mm. 1/3 of that is 31mm. That translates to about 1 1/4", so when I'm sitting on the bike, I want the measurement to be 12" eye to eye. I adjust accordingly with the girlfriend on the bike so it's still 12" eye to eye. I needed to add 6 turns to accommodate my 140 lbs girlfriend with 25nm Springs.

The following users liked this post:
RedRider0151 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 01:06 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=mglax13;15525411]I didn't have a hard stop in one direction on my Ohlins either for the rebound setting. I started at about 16 clicks and have left it becasue I've been happy with it.

I set my sag and the sag for me and the GF so the loaded length of the shock was the uncompressed length minus 1/3 of the total length of travel.

Example. My shocks are 13 1/4" uncompressed. The travel is 93mm. 1/3 of that is 31mm. That translates to about 1 1/4", so when I'm sitting on the bike, I want the measurement to be 12" eye to eye. I adjust accordingly with the girlfriend on the bike so it's still 12" eye to eye. I needed to add 6 turns to accommodate my 140 lbs girlfriend with 25nm Springs.[/QUOTE

Am I understanding you correctly - your setting sag on the measurements Eye to Eye on shock? I thought sag was measured from rear axle to fixed point 'Straight' above - such as fender or what ever (which is not easy on a Harley) - measuring sag 'Straight' down? Eye to eye is as a slight angle??

Last edited by harley0711; 09-19-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:28 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

[QUOTE=harley0711;15525739]
Originally Posted by mglax13
I didn't have a hard stop in one direction on my Ohlins either for the rebound setting. I started at about 16 clicks and have left it becasue I've been happy with it.

Example. My shocks are 13 1/4" uncompressed. The travel is 93mm. 1/3 of that is 31mm. That translates to about 1 1/4", so when I'm sitting on the bike, I want the measurement to be 12" eye to eye. I adjust accordingly with the girlfriend on the bike so it's still 12" eye to eye. I needed to add 6 turns to accommodate my 140 lbs girlfriend with 25nm Springs.[/QUOTE

Am I understanding you correctly - your setting sag on the measurements Eye to Eye on shock? I thought sag was measured from rear axle to fixed point 'Straight' above - such as fender or what ever (which is not easy on a Harley) - measuring sag 'Straight' down? Eye to eye is as a slight angle??
Eye to eye is straight as a string. A fixed point such as a bolt on the fender near the shock arcs very very very slightly on its way down. Only about 4" of down movement on a 19" swingarm lever. Do the math on how much the axle arcs off a straight move, its like 1/2"

Old 09-19-2016, 01:33 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have the same shocks, around 13" long, and my top spring collar is 3/8" below the top thread. Where did you buy yours from, are they new?

Old 09-19-2016, 01:47 PM
RedRider0151
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have the same shocks, around 13" long, and my top spring collar is 3/8" below the top thread. Where did you buy yours from, are they new?
I got them new....this is how they are supposed to be shipped...as you have to adjust the shock to set your sag and it will be different for everyone. I was just wondering if there were others that were in the same predicament as I, where the collar really couldnt be backed off in order to set sag right out of the gate. Like I said, mine is fine with 2 people on the bike, and probably will be able to be set for a single rider once it breaks in a bit. I am assuming that my weight measurements are somewhat between two spring rates (ie high end of regular duty and low end of heavy duty)

Was also surprised of the fact that there was no stop on the rebound adjuster, but it appears that is normal since I am not the only one who has it.... :-D

You can see in the pic where my collar is for right at an inch of sag for the 2 of us on the bike....and I also have mine at roughly 13 inches also...

Last edited by RedRider0151; 09-19-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:25 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I've had mine for 8 years and am familiar with adjusting them, I have solo and duo settings. I am mystified that you obviously don't have any room to adjust them, which is why I asked where you got them from. I suggest you contact the dealer you bought them from and try to sort this out with them.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:00 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711

Yeah, why not? It's 2 easy fixed points to measure, and you're concerned about setting the sag so 1/3 of the travel is being used, so whether you measure 1/3 of the travel of the end of the swing arm, or 1/3 of the compression of the stock, it's basically the same thing, only MUCH easier to measure the shock compression as opposed to a moving swing arm.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:17 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Same springs as you, 25nm. These springs are good for your weight, definitely not too stiff. Installed stock height, adjustment nut in the middle = 13 1/4" length. I had at full length and may put it back = 13 1/2"+ total length. Rider and passenger weight ~310lbs. ~5/6 turns on preload collar. ~16 clicks on rebound, ~16 clicks on compression. A couple clicks for either one is not a big deal. Could add a few more clicks on compression for softer ride when 1up, I just leave it.

I weigh 190 and when 1up, the springs are a bit firm. 2up, they are very nice, slightly sporty, very good in the twisties.

On our touring bikes, measuring sag from bolt to bolt is fine. But many other bikes, you are correct, measuring straight up is the way to go because the shocks may be mounted at an angle.

Last edited by KumaRide; 09-19-2016 at 03:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RedRider0151 (09-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Ohlins HD157 or #3 adjustment questions