Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Cable Adjustment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Throttle Cable Adjustment Questions

I counted the exposed threads on both cable adjusters before changing out the grips. After putting on the new grips, I set the adjustments to as found. There was too much free-play (slop) between the grip stop and throttle cracking so I adjusted the throttle cable to correct it. Everything is working great including cruise control.

So then I read the service manual and it raised more questions than it answered. To do the adjustments "by the book", the air cleaner assembly has to be removed and the gas tank raised. You got to be kidding me.

With a quick look with a small inspection mirror, I found the idle cable guide and spring on the throttle cable assembly inboard of the air cleaner.

Can the adjustments be made using a mirror instead of removing the air filter and partially removing the gas tank per the service manual?

Do you have to observe that the throttle cam stop just touches the induction module stop cast per the manual or is that the click that I hear when the throttle is closed?

Do you suppose a dealership technician goes through the entire service manual rigmarole to adjust the throttle linkage which I figure would take a couple of hours?

Old 05-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Cable Adjustment Questions

Oops. It's an '07 FLHTC with cruise control added.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:38 AM
harleyrobert4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about raising the tank, but you should take off the air cleaner and at the very least, inspect the cables coming offyourinjector body. I highly suggest for you any anyone else, to purchase the "Fix My Hog" DVD set for touring models. In the video, it shows how to properly adjust the throttle cable incluing through the air cleaner area.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:59 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as you can tell that the cables are fully seated in the throttle body, which you should be able to do with a flashlight without removing anything, loosen both adjusters all the way in. Adjust the throttle (pull cable on the front) until you can hear a click as you open the throttle fully. Then adjust the idle cable (the rear cable) until the is a little slack when rotating the throttle back and forth. About an 1/8". Turn the bars full right and open the throttle fully and let go. It should snap back shut. There should still be slack with the bars turned full right. If it doesnt snap back loosen the idle cable until it will. It shouldnt take more than a couple minutes to do.