Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Guards-Pre 2014 vs. Post vs. Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Saddlebag Guards-Pre 2014 vs. Post vs. Comfort

Based on pics, it seems 2014 and later got a redesign of the saddlebag bar, it dips down some vs the straight across design of earlier. Does anyone know if these fit 2009-13 or do you have to go the Comfort bar route? Are the redesign passenger friendly?

Update: Successful install of 2014 and later bars on 2013 EGC. Details at bottom.

Comfort

Last edited by GregGillette; 09-24-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:39 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've read here on the forum that the newer bars will not work on pre '14 bikes. Bummer too.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:53 PM
GregGillette
Road Master

Originally Posted by head
I've read here on the forum that the newer bars will not work on pre '14 bikes. Bummer too.
Yes it would be. The comfort bars are not very good looking. The newer bars are acceptable. I have the support bar coming to eliminate the bar all together for comfort but I have concerns wanting to avoid bag damage if dropped. Current bar is not working as is for passenger comfort.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:40 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Just went through this ...... The Rushmore SB guards are a no go on earlier models. I put SB guards on my SGS and wanted to do the same on my 12' Ultra, eliminating my rails. I too don't like the comfort so I purchased a used set off a 12' RK on eBay.

Funny thing, the guards for 09' - 13' model bikes are pricey. Don't know why, you can actually get them much cheaper for a 14 when going after market and used prices are higher to for the 09'-13' models too.

Last edited by Beaux; 09-17-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:50 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

they look like there bent like that.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:59 AM
GregGillette
Road Master

My research, could be wrong....It seems mount points for the front guard is the same as there were no frame changes in 14. The support bracket did change at the rear so that may be why 13 and older sg have issues trying to use new supports. My egc with its original support may work with 14 front bar but just need to be shortened where inserts into lower front receiver as the newer bar slopes down and back as seen in profiles pic below. Drops the bar below the lid level so it may work. If have to trim my support bar (no going back if done!) So have to weigh my options. In THEORY it looks like it will work.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGillette
The support bracket did change at the rear so that may be why 13 and older sg have issues trying to use new supports. My egc with its original support may work with 14 front bar but just need to be shortened where inserts into lower front receiver as the newer bar slopes down and back as seen in profiles pic below. Drops the bar below the lid level so it may work. If have to trim my support bar (no going back if done!) So have to weigh my options. In THEORY it looks like it will work.
I have read somewhere in my search that someone has trimmed the support bar to make it work ......... I wasn't willing to ruin a stock part.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:50 AM
GregGillette
Road Master

Originally Posted by Beaux
I have read somewhere in my search that someone has trimmed the support bar to make it work ......... I wasn't willing to ruin a stock part.
I have a new 2014 style set on the way so will let you know how it works out. TCMT sells a set for less than $70 on Amazon.

Last edited by GregGillette; 09-18-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:04 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaux
Funny thing, the guards for 09' - 13' model bikes are pricey. Don't know why, you can actually get them much cheaper for a 14 when going after market and used prices are higher to for the 09'-13' models too.
The 14 and up are made in China

Old 09-24-2016, 12:44 PM
GregGillette
Road Master

Rolled the dice and ordered an aftermarket set of front guards and worked out great! Understand that this was done on an FLHTC and already had support rails that bolted to previous guard. I suspect this mod will work with most models but I dont know for sure. On my lower support rail, I had to trim 7/8" length from the end rod to accomidate the pull back profile change. Only caveat to this change and unexpected on my part is that when the top lid is fully opened, it Will make contact with the guard. Im thinking a small clear cabinet door stop will prevent any paint chips or juat be carefull. Details with pics below.

Before profile with wrap around rails removed

After profile with new bars

Part used from Amazon

Side by Side new and old

Lid contact when fully opened

Lower support bar mate point. I used a flat profile sheet metal screw rather than pass through bolt and nut to clear bag channel on bottom

Final results, wife has her needed leg clearance and I have protection for bag if/when ever dropped

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Guards-Pre 2014 vs. Post vs. Comfort