Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour pack Speaker Pods

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Eagle240
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Tour pack Speaker Pods

I will be picking up a set of Tour pack speaker pods from another forum member. These are factory pods with factory speakers and buttons on each pod with wiring intact as show in pics.

Having never owned a tourpack before, or rode a bike with one, I have no idea what the buttons control, what PTT button is, and how hard it is going to be for me to hook up the buttons on the speaker pods to the bike.

my bike is a 2013 street glide with just fairing speakers now. From what i have read on our forums, i think this is what I need to do; but someone please confirm if you can!

1- purchase UOH (ultra overlay harness) install and route from radio, under fairing, under gas tank, under seat, to tourpack.
2- install speaker pods and plug pods into UOH
3- have dealer flash radio to add rear fader.

4- boom its done?

i can only hope it is this simple.

or would i be better off just adding 2 pods with no buttons and connecting into the back of the HK for the rear outputs and have the download at the dealer done?

What am i gaining by adding the passenger controls? What am I missing by not adding them? I definitely dont want to add them if I cant use the function of the buttons.

can someone chime in ? thanks in advance muchos gracias!

Old 09-14-2016, 11:37 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle240
I will be picking up a set of Tour pack speaker pods from another forum member. These are factory pods with factory speakers and buttons on each pod with wiring intact as show in pics.

Having never owned a tourpack before, or rode a bike with one, I have no idea what the buttons control, what PTT button is, and how hard it is going to be for me to hook up the buttons on the speaker pods to the bike.

my bike is a 2013 street glide with just fairing speakers now. From what i have read on our forums, i think this is what I need to do; but someone please confirm if you can!

1- purchase UOH (ultra overlay harness) install and route from radio, under fairing, under gas tank, under seat, to tourpack.
2- install speaker pods and plug pods into UOH
3- have dealer flash radio to add rear fader.

4- boom its done?

i can only hope it is this simple.

or would i be better off just adding 2 pods with no buttons and connecting into the back of the HK for the rear outputs and have the download at the dealer done?

What am i gaining by adding the passenger controls? What am I missing by not adding them? I definitely dont want to add them if I cant use the function of the buttons.

can someone chime in ? thanks in advance muchos gracias!

I have a 2013 Street glide, added a ultra tour pack, For lights there is a wire harness in the left side cover, it is long enough to reach inside the pack.it will give you stop and tail lights on the pack.If you are using the stock Radio headunit it will need to be flashed for the fader to work. I purchased a connector online for the rear speakers and ran speaker wire to the rear.I think it was bout $30.Of course if you don't have the stock Head Unit,you won't need it,or the flash. The PTT,Push To Talk will not work on the Street Glide, neither will the other button on the other side. When the weather gets colder I am going to make a harness that extends out of the tour pack so I can make my connection out side of the pack for lighting,and heat shrink my speaker wires in the same wire loom, to make it look more tidy.Also a set of kicker ksc674 speakers will fit nicely, just have to drill holes for speaker mounting screws as these are 6.75 speakers.

Last edited by 0lowrider1; 09-14-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Eagle240
Tourer

Originally Posted by 0lowrider1
I have a 2013 Street glide, added a ultra tour pack, For lights there is a wire harness in the left side cover, it is long enough to reach inside the pack.it will give you stop and tail lights on the pack.If you are using the stock Radio headunit it will need to be flashed for the fader to work. I purchased a connector online for the rear speakers and ran speaker wire to the rear.I think it was bout $30.Of course if you don't have the stock Head Unit,you won't need it,or the flash. The PTT,Push To Talk will not work on the Street Glide, neither will the other button on the other side. When the weather gets colder I am going to make a harness that extends out of the tour pack so I can make my connection out side of the pack for lighting,and heat shrink my speaker wires in the same wire loom, to make it look more tidy.Also a set of kicker ksc674 speakers will fit nicely, just have to drill holes for speaker mounting screws as these are 6.75 speakers.
Wow thanks for the info!!

So the buttons are useless to me. Correct? there is not way to hook them up to work on a street glide?

also - the harness in the side cover for lights sounds like a blessing. Ill have to look tonight.

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2016, 12:46 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

You can get them to work. It's all functions of the radio. It just has to be wired up correctly. Kinda like the BAMI kit I have on my bike. Comms front to back and she can control her volume level for both comms and music when a head set is plugged in. If you have a service manual you should be able to get it to work with the right wires plugs and connectors.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Eagle240
Tourer

Originally Posted by craigffb
You can get them to work. It's all functions of the radio. It just has to be wired up correctly. Kinda like the BAMI kit I have on my bike. Comms front to back and she can control her volume level for both comms and music when a head set is plugged in. If you have a service manual you should be able to get it to work with the right wires plugs and connectors.
thanks for the info. From what I am reading in the svc manual, the wires needed would also include replacing the left side hand controls and wiring so it also has a PTT function. I dont think I want to go that far into it.